Squirrel problem

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-14-2012 11:06 AM

megman - corn was fine :) (not so much the skunk)

Seriously though the squirrels are afraid of those plastic snakes - family had problem in the city with those pesky squirrels. Told them to find a 'realistic looking' plastic snake and they did - no more squirrel problems. But they did have a dog barking at the snake (from neighbor's place).

---
Problem with corn cobs - those attract OTHER pesky critters -- including: racoons, possums, deer --

---
SO Okay they don't like bluejays - you can find fake ones of those - even with wings that move - put on posts!!

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 06-15-2012 02:41 AM

We put out fake plastic snakes on our deck to keep critters out of the garden. The hawks thought they were real... came and beat the crap out of them and flew away with them in their talons.

The best way to keep tree rats out of your cars and house wiring (they love to chew asian wiring because it's made from the soy we grow and ship to them and then they use it to make wiring insulation for cars and homes) is to coat your wiring with the hottest salsa you can buy, found at the mom & pops REAL Mexican restaurants - not the chain restaurants. The squirrels might have the same reaction.

Otherwise, just fill them up with peanuts and Sunflower seeds; that usually keeps ours busy.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-16-2012 11:56 AM

bobbi so your garden was on the deck :)

Had the snake hunting cat pull one out of the patch one year -- became his (it's) play toy. He (it) did catch real snakes and kill or disable them, but the plastic one - for several weeks, just moved it all over the place. Guess he (it) could not figure out why it didn't curl up like others did when he'd bite their neck.

- - -
Squirrels did not like the small of mothballs either...

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 06-16-2012 02:19 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: bobbi so your garden was on the deck :)

Had the snake hunting cat pull one out of the patch one year -- became his (it's) play toy. He (it) did catch real snakes and kill or disable them, but the plastic one - for several weeks, just moved it all over the place. Guess he (it) could not figure out why it didn't curl up like others did when he'd bite their neck.

- - -
Squirrels did not like the small of mothballs either...

Yes, now the only things we grow on the deck are herbs and cherry tomatoes. We still have a patch out in the yard for beefsteak tomatoes, green beans, and squash. But I'm not very ambulatory now; it's hard for me to walk that far to plant, weed, and go pick, several times a week. Rod has to do it, altho he's even older than I am, and he's beginning to complain, so this may be the last year for a backyard garden for us. I may just have the gardener plant rose bushes in that spot, after the growing season is finished, this year. It might keep the passersby from breaking off the blooms from them, in our front yard. (Idiot, inconsiderate people!)
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 06-19-2012 12:07 AM

Got 4 jalapenos on the go and looks like the habs are starting.

Time will tell but may have a job for you Fan.:coolhat:
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 06-21-2012 02:19 PM

Try habanero or ghost peppers for best results.

ImageWear rubber gloves when prepping peppers.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 06-21-2012 02:22 PM

Oops..I thought you were making a squirrel deterrent. sry.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Return to “Garden & Galley”