Art Rumor Confirmed

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

maxaman25
Pirate

Art Rumor Confirmed

Post by maxaman25 » 01-23-2013 06:51 PM

On another thread it was presented that Art was looking to get back on the air now that his non compete clause with coast had expired. So I emailed him the following:
Hi Art.

I've seen rumors on the net you are trying to get back on the air now that your non compete clause has expired. Any truth to this? I thought I'd go straight to the source and see if you would respond.

Max

His response was as follows:

Could be if the right deal is presented.

Art
My response back:

Thanks for responding. May I pass this information along to the pirates at the fantastic forum?

Max.

Art's response:
Sure.

Art

Well there you have it folks. He's looking to get back on the air.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 01-24-2013 11:52 AM

Thanks for the info. That's a hell of a long "non compete" clause.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-24-2013 12:14 PM

HB3 wrote: Thanks for the info. That's a hell of a long "non compete" clause.
Apparently the notion of possible competition made Premrad feel particularly queasy.

Quite the complement to Art's abilities - not so much to their current host, though.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-24-2013 12:24 PM

This is interesting as on either last night or the prior evenings C2C someone complimented George on how he had taken the baton and grown the content and stations and George said he felt the program needed to expand it's topics as times change and the program needed to move along with the times - I am paraphrasing of course.

The individual asked about Art and what is he doing and George said once Art retired that was pretty much the end of their contact and Arts involvement but he did say Art gave him one piece of advice and that was "do not try to copy me" be your own person.
A man's character is his fate

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-24-2013 12:42 PM

Diogenes wrote: The individual asked about Art and what is he doing and George said once Art retired that was pretty much the end of their contact and Arts involvement but he did say Art gave him one piece of advice and that was "do not try to copy me" be your own person.
So much as Noory is no Art Bell, I'd say that's pretty good advice...

Conversely, it's a known fact Art is no George Noory!

'Course, from the length of the no-compete clause it's pretty obvious Premrad already knows that.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-24-2013 01:48 PM

Riddick wrote: So much as Noory is no Art Bell, I'd say that's pretty good advice...

Conversely, it's a known fact Art is no George Noory!

'Course, from the length of the no-compete clause it's pretty obvious Premrad already knows that.

Good point about the length of that non compete clause. My industry is usually 3 years- not familiar with other vocations but 10 years certainly gives someone a long runway.

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 01-24-2013 04:16 PM

It would be good to hear him again but keep in mind his age and also the young family so if he should return I think it would maybe be a weekend or part time gig but we can be sure not with PremRat.

Since here in the Denver area Cumulus Network does replay of Red Eye on weekends, well, gee other than going up against George Knapp, who IMHO, is darn good and worth more than the Sunday slot, this could be a good come back for Art.

After all, Ross Mitchell, Arts old announcer voice and a host once in a while on C2C, is the Red Eye Radio announcer voice.

It kind of is a shame that Red Eye radio for the truckers, gee who were Arts main followers, is more interesting than C2C with Noodle Brain.

So Art, if you come back, weekends would be good way to test the water.

I'm sure Karen could find a little studio space for Art until a network gets his satellite link back into studio AB. :)

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 01-24-2013 05:42 PM

Thanks maxaman, for this latest update.
..Could be if the right deal is presented.

Art

There was a time when Art didn't have to wait for a deal. I'm underwhelmed, to put it in few words. Art Bell now is not the Art we remember. You all are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think he is as he was.. If he makes his comeback and it's an awesome show then I'll stand corrected..but I'm taking this all with a grain of salt and much lowered expectations.

Art could do as well with an indy podcast and he'd be his own boss, depending on, if he had them, who his sponsors were. A contracted radio show would not be of interest to me as he'd not be in control. He'd have to toe the contractual line and answer to his boss - whoever that might be, and his show's sponsors. Fact is, I'd rather listen to his old shows than to see him sell out to ANY broadcaster. JMHO..
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-24-2013 06:07 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: Art Bell now is not the Art we remember. You all are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think he is as he was.. If he makes his comeback and it's an awesome show then I'll stand corrected..but I'm taking this all with a grain of salt and much lowered expectations.
Fact is, I'd rather listen to his old shows than to see him sell out to ANY broadcaster. JMHO..
You bring up some very good points Dale. It's one thing if Art competes with Noory (as it is some might say there IS no competition there!) -

The REAL challenge is going to be competing with himself.

I imagine in the end, the difference may all be in enjoying what he does. All the more freedom he has with a new show, the more likely we'll be to hear the Art we remember...
Last edited by Riddick on 01-24-2013 07:08 PM, edited 1 time in total.

maxaman25
Pirate

Post by maxaman25 » 01-24-2013 06:53 PM

Riddick some people hold Art to an impossible standard. They selectively remember only his very best shows. For me it's the "super glue" incident. Or "Mad Man Markum".

The truth is a lot of Art Bells shows were good but not great. Some were boring. Some were fantastic.

But for me there was never anyone who could interview a guest like Art. He had a way of making the guest much more interesting than he might otherwise be.

Then there was one other thing.....for some strange reason even if the show wasn't that great I just liked listening to him talk....it was comforting and I would fall asleep because of that.

It's been a long time since he was on every night and I still miss him. To me...he felt like a friend....a kindred spirit.

To me Art doesn't have to be great. He just has to come back.

He doesn't have to be fantastic.

maxaman25
Pirate

Post by maxaman25 » 01-24-2013 07:27 PM

I sent Art an email asking if he would consider doing a podcast. We'll see if he responds. Usually when I email him he doesn't but you never know. Can't say I blame him for not responding. He probably gets a thousand emails each day and many of them are asking the very same questions. But he does know I'm one of the pirates and he always had a bit of a soft spot for us.

We'll see.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-24-2013 08:14 PM

Do any of you think that Art would team up sort of speak, with Whitley? They seemed to have had a good relationship. I remember when Whitley took over Dream Land, they complimented each other quite well.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-24-2013 08:21 PM

Doka wrote: Do any of you think that Art would team up sort of speak, with Whitley? They seemed to have had a good relationship. I remember when Whitley took over Dream Land, they complimented each other quite well.

Another good idea.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 01-25-2013 10:19 AM

Sorry I peed on your Art comeback thread with my less than enthusiastic post above. I came on board for Art Bell, his show and the topics almost 10 years ago, so anyone that knows me knows that I love(d) hearing his voice in the night from my AM set as much as the next listener. It's just that..we've been here before a couple of times (3 or 4?) and I'm not getting all heated up in anticipation to be let down again. If Art has a show, I'll be listening with bells on - no pun intended. But I heard his last dozen shows too - and they were not the same or even close to his old stuff - buttery voice in the night aside.

I'd also like to see Art post here again and don't want my post to impede that in any way. He seems to have made a choice, or more like, had one thrust at him via email.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Art, you are missed, not just on the air, but also in these humble threads. Linnea - our beacon - may have passed but she gathered many of your supporters and fans on this board and the most loyal remain - lurking if not posting - awaiting word from you. Don't abandon us simply because a few that left here told you that we were dead..obviously we are not. [insert Mark Twain quote here]

We look forward to the day you decide to post here again. You are truly missed, sir.
-D
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 01-25-2013 06:38 PM

The sound of ARt's voice has "changed". And he's been away from the states to long too keep up with current events.

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”