Two Explosions at the Boston Marathon

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-17-2013 05:07 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: I gave this a little thought too.

Why take it apart if you can force thread a metal screw in to plug the hole.

But even if the hole is left unplugged, even black powder would expand fast enough to overwhelm any small hole pressure release allowing the container to fail catastrophically enough to cause an explosion. Many reports I've seen said these were on the weak side and could have been much worse in the same size package.
So in other words they went to all the trouble to do this deed but ended up using a weak container that would expend much of its energy without blowing up? This sounds crazy to me, especially since they were not using high explosives where it would not have mattered so much, but these were gunpowder or cordite it looks like.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-17-2013 05:09 PM

Raggedyann wrote: Imagine how these guys would be feeling if they had nothing to do with it? :eek:
Relieved that people care enough to look (and that they have all their limbs still)? No one is lynching anyone, but if people are given no information they will take it upon themselves to look into it. It is quite easy to point out the cops or people on the scene who have a right to look suspicious...

It seems that these guys are in fact SEALs, they have earpieces in, and one guy seems to be holding a radiation counter. He has a "punisher" logo on his hat, and they are both wearing tan army-style pants and boots.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-17-2013 05:34 PM

Fan wrote: So in other words they went to all the trouble to do this deed but ended up using a weak container that would expend much of its energy without blowing up? This sounds crazy to me, especially since they were not using high explosives where it would not have mattered so much, but these were gunpowder or cordite it looks like.
I agree - very sloppy work - like it was thrown together at the last minute. Also agree pipes would be much better as the container. Could be, since pipe-bombs are the most used, you have to sign to buy pipe, but not to buy a pan? Not for long, I bet.

The only reason I could think for using this method is it is one they had seen or had plans for and they weren't smart or well organized enough to do better.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-17-2013 06:12 PM

Fan wrote: Relieved that people care enough to look (and that they have all their limbs still)? No one is lynching anyone, but if people are given no information they will take it upon themselves to look into it. It is quite easy to point out the cops or people on the scene who have a right to look suspicious...

It seems that these guys are in fact SEALs, they have earpieces in, and one guy seems to be holding a radiation counter. He has a "punisher" logo on his hat, and they are both wearing tan army-style pants and boots.

Too bad the SEALS didn't notice the backpacks before they exploded. The guy with the beard and blue wool jacket with red t shirt on underneath does look suspicious. In one pic the crowd is all looking forward and he is looking up and over at what may be the roof across the street.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-17-2013 06:21 PM

Raggedyann wrote: Imagine how these guys would be feeling if they had nothing to do with it? :eek:
Could be a problem but they just want to help catch the bomber(s). Here is the disclaimer posted on reddit:
First of all, I'd like to thank all those who want to help out. The fact people have come together in an effort to help speaks volumes. However, I feel there are a few things we should make clear about this subreddit.

1) Like our sidebar says, we do not condone vigilante justice. Our aim is simply to provide tips for the FBI, not to take matters into our own hands.

2) DO NOT POST ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION. While it's admirable to help, posting information on anyone noted in pictures could have a devastating effect on their life. If you have any information, send it to the FBI, DO NOT share names with this subreddit. Again, people are innocent until proven guilty.

3) Any racism will not be tolerated. We do not know who is responsible. We cannot rule anyone out, and certainly there is a tendency to look at certain ethnic groups that we have to be careful to avoid.

4) Theories are welcome, but make sure you fact check your sources. Speculation can be distracting if it's not based on evidence.

5) Remember, we are only a subreddit. We want to help and are doing the best we can, but we must remember where helping ends and the job of professionals begins.

6) Do not make any images viral. It's bad enough certain news sources covering this are pointing out the people we notice, we need to remember, any information should go to the FBI and nowhere else.

7) Everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

Again thanks for the help that people have given. I just wanted to make a few things clear to make sure we're responsible with how we handle things.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-17-2013 07:17 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: I agree - very sloppy work - like it was thrown together at the last minute. Also agree pipes would be much better as the container. Could be, since pipe-bombs are the most used, you have to sign to buy pipe, but not to buy a pan? Not for long, I bet.

The only reason I could think for using this method is it is one they had seen or had plans for and they weren't smart or well organized enough to do better.
I mean in my world there is no checks and balances to buy pipe. There are hundreds of ways to get threaded pipe easily. This is the biggest thing that does not make sense to me. A pressure cooker is a terrible bomb casing.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-17-2013 07:22 PM

These maniacs could strike again at any moment, so I do understand the need to use every resource available to catch the perps. Has to be done.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-17-2013 07:26 PM

Fan wrote: I mean in my world there is no checks and balances to buy pipe. There are hundreds of ways to get threaded pipe easily. This is the biggest thing that does not make sense to me. A pressure cooker is a terrible bomb casing.

Assembling the timing mechanism to successfully trigger the bomb when planned is not an easy thing to do, according to bomb experts I have been listening to. So the perps must have had some sophistication.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-17-2013 07:34 PM

Raggedyann wrote: Assembling the timing mechanism to successfully trigger the bomb when planned is not an easy thing to do, according to bomb experts I have been listening to. So the perps must have had some sophistication.
Yes. You go to that trouble but don't know a good container? There is a problem there, and we are expected to just swallow it. It is ridiculous to think someone would use something with a safety system when every kid knows pipe bombs are devastating.

In reality the trigger is very simple for anyone with any electronics knowledge, it is just a short across wires. A broken light bulb you can turn on remotely would do it.

There was this thing when I was starting on computers, called the Anarchist's Cookbook. Trust me, that book, which is freely available, spells out exactly how to make the best bomb, how to kill the most people, etc. The knowledge is stupidly easy to come by, and if you are going to plan something like this you would do a little research first or have some experience.

The pressure cooker thing is because they started that meme a while back saying that they were using them for IEDs. Really, in Afghanistan it is easier to get a working pressure cooker than a length of pipe?

The whole thing stinks. I don't buy the basic premises.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 04-17-2013 08:45 PM

Hi Saharaka

is how we would deal with the organization behind the bombings.

Who ever they are , I don't believe any kind of war would be implimented any where. We may loose a few more of our rights, and that's probably it. IMHO ;)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 04-17-2013 08:55 PM

What I find of interest is the fact the internet has produced thousands if not millions of people with cell phones who have turned into "Sidney Sheldon" type sleuths and quite well organized on many sites. It makes it much harder for the PTB to put a "spin" on things. After the dust settles on this tragic event, I would just about bet another crack-down on the internet again. ???

:coolhat:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-17-2013 11:10 PM

Boston Marathon bomb suspect 'identified'

A Boston Marathon bombings suspect has been identified, investigation sources say.

Al Jazeera's Alan Fisher, reporting from Boston, said that there were conflicting reports as to whether the suspect had been arrested. However, police and the Homeland Security said the FBI did not have anyone in custody.

"I've been told ... that an arrest is coming," Fisher said.

US law enforcement sources said earlier investigators of the Boston Marathon bombings believed they had identified a suspect in the Boston marathon bombing from security video.

An official announcement on the issue is expected at 5pm (2100 GMT) on Wednesday.

US media reports said that a suspect had been identified in a surveillance video from a department store near the explosion.

Authorities have an image of a suspect carrying a black bag at the second bomb site, they added without providing further details about the suspect.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/ ... 97655.html

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-17-2013 11:14 PM

Investigators are also examining if the bombs could have been assembled near the scene of the explosions, The Wall Street Journal reports, quoting a law enforcement official. The official says this possibility is being considered because transporting improvised devices over a significant distance could trigger a premature detonation.

The officials also say federal agents are working with local police to canvas local hotels and short-term rentals for clues as to where the bombs could have been constructed.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/17/fb ... wide-open/

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-17-2013 11:19 PM

Wednesday’s whirlpool of reports demonstrated the extraordinary promise and power that new technologies bring to criminal investigations, but also the risk and unreasonable expectations that now permeate such probes. When federal authorities asked the public for help Monday, they received thousands of video clips and still images of the bomb site.

Some people, empowered by smartphones and ever more sophisticated technology, didn’t leave the detective work to the professionals. They joined forces on sites such as Reddit.com to examine crowd pictures, searching for — and then virally distributing — image of backpacks that resembled the shredded bag in photos the FBI released Tuesday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... story.html

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-18-2013 12:17 AM

I need to say that someone not watching the race continually, very little or even not at all should not be considered suspicious behavior imo. Many that attend events like this go to people watch, not to watch runners. .although runners in this case are also people so they qualify, he. Not watching might be notable, but seems minor as far as evidence is concerned.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”