Cats

Show it off

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-18-2013 06:44 PM

always check before recycling :)
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 12-18-2013 10:55 PM

voguy wrote: The cat's out of the bag..... uh. wait.
Ahhhhhhhhh look @ the kitty Voguy!!

Meow :)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 12-20-2013 09:31 AM

Heres some cats they say LOOK LIKE HITLER!

They call them KITLERS: http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com

Ah man!!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 12-29-2013 11:31 AM

Did someone forget to feed the kitty?
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Brisco
Pirate

Post by Brisco » 01-29-2014 04:09 PM

I forgot to post this photo from a couple months ago when my cat Twinky helped to decorate the Christmas tree: :D

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 02-20-2014 10:36 PM

Of all the things I've seen on the internet this is one of the most preposterous.

Cat Bites and Depression Linked

Next time your cat's giving you the evil eye, it may be because she actually knows something you don't. And definitely steer clear of those teeth.

According to a new study, published in the science journal PLOS ONE, a startling number of people bitten by cats are diagnosed with depression.

For the study, researchers at the University of Michigan looked at the medical records of 1.3 million patients.

"[We] conducted a manual chart review in the electronic health record of all patients with a code for a bite to accurately determine which were from cats or dogs," study author David A. Hanauer writes. "Overall there were 750 patients with cat bites, 1,108 with dog bites, and approximately 117,000 patients with depression. Depression was found in 41.3% of patients with cat bites and 28.7% of those with dog bites."

The data on female patients is even more astonishing; there's an almost 50 per cent chance women bitten by cats will be diagnosed with depression. Compare that to the less than 25 per cent of men with a similar bite.

So what does it mean? Can cats actually detect depression and nudge you in the direction of professional help?

Well, as Popular Science points out, it's eminently possible people who are depressed are more likely to have a cat around to cheer them up. And there's also an abundance of evidence to support the notion that pets do bring a lot of sunshine to our lives.

There's also a chance, Michigan researchers suggest, people with mental health issues act in ways that make them more bite-worthy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/02/20 ... 23339.html
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 02-21-2014 05:49 PM

Yeah, I'm calling bullsheit, too.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 03-02-2014 11:48 PM

For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-09-2014 01:29 AM

Scottish town erects $8k statue of beloved stray cat

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommuni ... y-cat.html

He likely would have preferred a can of tuna, but 14-year-old Hamish McHamish the cat certainly isn't complaining about the $8,000 cast bronze statue erected in his honour last week.

Lovingly referred to as the "collective pet" of St. Andrews, Scotland, Hamish has been bringing joy to the people of his small town for more than a decade.

According to The Scotsman, the beloved stray has been spending his time in various shops, houses and buildings around town since he ran away from home at the age of one (his former owner still ensures that Hamish gets annual veterinary check-ups, don't fret.)

Hamish has managed to build quite the strong fan base since that time, complete with his own Wikipedia entry, a loyal Twitter following, a Facebook page, and even a book about his life.

Funded by the residents of St. Andrews through a fundraising campaign, the cast bronze Hamish statue was unveiled Saturday in the town's church square.

“Our statue is a way of saying thank you to Hamish for being so ‘purrfectly’ adorable and to celebrate him and the joy he brings us," said campaign founder and local resident Flora Selwyn to The Scotsman. "Hamish is a wonderful animal."

On the day of the big reveal, the guest of honour arrived in a black convertible to greet his fans.
Last edited by Raggedyann on 04-09-2014 01:34 AM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-09-2014 01:10 PM

love it :)
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

starrmtn001
Jester Mod

Post by starrmtn001 » 04-09-2014 01:23 PM

You've just made my day even better Raggedyann.
:bighug:

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-09-2014 04:28 PM

Glad you liked it too. :)

My big Emma cat passed away 2 weeks ago at the age of 14 yrs. She was a wonderful creature and the epitome of cat independence. She set boundaries very early in her life. She would never let me cuddle her, and I mean never. As a kitten, I nicknamed her "Baby Wild". She would sit on my lap for hours and just let me stroke her head. I tried for years to get her to let me get closer but she would have none of it. She would never allow my friends or family anywhere near her and would hide in other parts of the house, or outside until they had left. She adored the dogs and put up with endless hours of them chasing her around. They were half her size and she knew she could put them in their place if she wanted to. Never once did she raise a claw.

On the the last day of her life, she snuggled into my neck and we cuddled for a long time. She gave me a long awaited parting gift.

Cats fill spaces you never knew were empty.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 04-09-2014 05:07 PM

RA,

I am so sorry to know this and to think at the end she wanted to cuddle with you for comfort.

This makes me cry and the little I know you I know this is devastating. Wish I could do something to make you feel better.

xo
A man's character is his fate

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-09-2014 05:14 PM

So sorry RA. Sounds like you knew her well, and that you both took good advantage of your partnership and love. I lost 2 cats last year and I still miss both of them. My mom just lost a cat friend of 13 years. It is never easy, and yes, there is a hole left afterwards, even when a new cat comes into your life (as one will if you let it). However, like humans, we can do nothing but celebrate the time we had together, and to thank them for their companionship and love.

I have a siamese sitting on my lap as I write this, she adopted me soon after the passing of one of my furry friends last year, she knew I had room. Kindred spirits to be sure.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-09-2014 06:47 PM

Diogenes wrote: RA,

I am so sorry to know this and to think at the end she wanted to cuddle with you for comfort.

This makes me cry and the little I know you I know this is devastating. Wish I could do something to make you feel better.

xo

Thanks Dio. Kind words mean a lot in times of sorrow.

Return to “Photography”