Belowdecks...Serious rants, etc...

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Incarceration and Food

Post by voguy » 01-09-2016 03:41 PM

This story made me chuckle ....

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... go-to-jail

... because the local jail inmates wanted to sue the authorities because last Thanksgiving they were not provided turkey dinners with potatoes, rolls, and pie. They claimed it was "cruel and unusual punishment" to be denied what people on the outside "might" have. I say "might" because we had pork this year thanks to my hunting skills. :)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Re: Incarceration and Food

Post by Fan » 01-09-2016 04:08 PM

Pig hunting? I am intrigued. Or do you mean hunting at your local Costco? :)
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-09-2016 07:56 PM

Fan wrote:Pig hunting? I am intrigued. Or do you mean hunting at your local Costco? :)
Nope. Feral pig, 167#. After butchering it I took half, and gave the other half to the Native American gentleman who showed me how to track, bait, and take them. Smoked most of it in hickory and oak with a maple syrup and honey baste. It was good eating. No growth hormones, or any fiddling with it. It had been feeding on sugar beets and potatoes. I'm relearning a lot about hunting, etc, in preparation for a move up north. What better way to learn than from the people who depend on this lifestyle.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 01-10-2016 10:19 AM

You are an intriguing person.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-10-2016 01:08 PM

VO is this in preparation/training for the B&B?

Also is feral pig same as wild boar?

Could look it up buy you will know.

Thanks Diogenes
A man's character is his fate

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-10-2016 01:38 PM

Fan wrote:You are an intriguing person.
Just a guy on the radio.
MostInterestingHam.jpg
MostInterestingHam.jpg (46.13 KiB) Viewed 6338 times

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-10-2016 01:53 PM

Diogenes wrote:VO is this in preparation/training for the B&B?
Yep. Still working out details. I decided a while back not to make it as public as originally intended, but narrow-cast my clientele to a smaller, select group, and have a smaller guest house. Mostly people I know in music, and media. Sort of a get-away from the rest of the world and relax.
Diogenes wrote:Also is feral pig same as wild boar?
Basically. These are pigs which were abandoned, or let out of their pens, to roam free when the economic recession hit in 2007/2008. They have been breeding and terrorizing farms and attacking livestock. They have been on a steady diet of sweet beets, potatoes, and whatever they can get from area farms. Being out for just a short time they have developed a keen sense of survival and a nasty disposition. You don't want to piss them off as they will come at you.

The fellow I hunted with had one of his huskies killed by a large 200# boar. The general impression of the community is to take whatever you can, and if you find babies you trap them and fence them in a farm pen so they don't run free. It's really unbelievable what damage a group of 6 or more pigs can do.

However, they are good eating. I figure pig, deer, fish from Lake Superior, and an occasional bird will be all that is necessary for meals.

I stop at saying I'm going "survivalist", but after learning a lot from Native Americans about self sustainability, I feel a lot more comfortable about this.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-10-2016 04:44 PM

VO - I like that - you keep the clientele small and select - you more than likely know them or know of them, much better that way and more appealing in a special way to many I would think.

Thank you for the explanation pigs vs boars. The American Indian's philosophy relative to stewardship of the land and sustainability is worthy of respect.
A man's character is his fate

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-10-2016 07:38 PM

I should also mention I've been reading up on greenhouses and alternative heating methods. I would feel that success would be achieved if I could be mostly off the grid, and have the foods I need.

Last year I was canning and experimenting around with drying foods. I'm cheating right now using an electric Nesco FD-61 dehydrator. I would like to later build a dehydrator which is solar.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-10-2016 07:51 PM

And incorporate designs like this...

http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/gallery/

Return to “The Murky Bilge”