For music-related discussions

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

RIP Mic Gillette,Tower of Power

Post by voguy » 01-20-2016 07:38 PM

Mic Gillette, founding member of Tower of Power, dies at 64
By Evan Sernoffsky Updated 1:36 pm, Monday, January 18, 2016

Mic Gillette, renowned trumpet and trombone player and founding member of the legendary Oakland funky soul band Tower of Power, died suddenly of a heart attack over the weekend. He was 64.

Gillette started playing with members of seminal funk outfit back in 1966 and as first trumpet, he was a powerful sonic force behind Tower of Power’s rise to prominence in the 1970s.

“The Tower of Power family was stunned today by the news that Mic Gillette, our dear friend and bandmate going back to 1966, passed away,” bandleader Emilio Castillo announced on the group’s website Sunday night.

“Mic was without a doubt the greatest brass player I've ever known,” he said. “Our sincere condolences go out to his wife Julia and his daughter Megan and their entire family."

While bands like the Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead were shaping the rock scene at the height of the 1960s psychedelic movement in San Francisco, Tower of Power carved out its own funky niche across the Bay in Oakland.

The group had several top 40 radio hits through the 1970s, including “You Are Still a Young Man” and the 1973 grooving classic “What is Hip?”

During his more than four-decade-long music career, Gillette played with huge names in the business, including Santana, the Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, Elton John and dozens of others.

But after years of touring with Tower of Power, Gillette decided to call it quits in the mid-1980s and settled down with his family.

Gillette, though, never quit music. He continued to do session work and played around Northern California with the Mic Gillette Band that included his daughter, Megan McCarthy.

“My father was a pillar of strength, the brightest light in any room and most genuine soul of anyone I will ever meet, and I am lucky enough to be his one and only child,” McCarthy wrote on the band’s Facebook page.

Gillette briefly rejoined Tower of Power in 2009 where he played and toured full-time for two years.

He was also passionate about teaching music and worked with students at East Bay middle and high schools up until his death.

“My heart will never be as full,” McCarthy said, “and the music will never be as lively.”

Video and Pictures @:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Mic- ... 766775.php
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Re: RIP Mic Gillette,Tower of Power

Post by Fan » 01-20-2016 07:45 PM

ToP is the best, this guy will be missed.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

voguy
Pirate

Re: RIP Mic Gillette,Tower of Power

Post by voguy » 01-20-2016 07:53 PM

Yep. Quite a talent. And he always had time for students of music.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Music”