Alaska Suspended A Dentist For Riding A Hoverboard While Working

Weird and unusual, whacked out news!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Alaska Suspended A Dentist For Riding A Hoverboard While Working

Post by Riddick » 04-26-2017 12:13 AM

Medicaid fraud was also a factor. FULL STORY
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

maryals51
Pirate

Re: Alaska Suspended A Dentist For Riding A Hoverboard While Working

Post by maryals51 » 09-11-2017 11:37 PM

Laugh it up Fuzz Ball...That was my Dentist! Imagine my horror when I bring in the newspaper from the front porch
And there it is, front page, above the fold
A few years ago I had gone to that Dental Clinic, when it was under different ownership, with a gawd awful tooth ache. Everyone was so nice, professional, competent, I became a regular patient

Then the Practice was sold to this Dr Lookhart but I thought, well, everyone is still so nice, and seems competent, so I remained a patient.
I even gave high recommendations on Yelp!

I don't know if he was riding a hover board while pulling all my upper teeth and fitting me for dentures. I do know he did a good job.

Oh well...story of my life...I'm just a weirdo magnet.

Looking for a new Dentist...
"When they tell you not to Panic that's when you run!"

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 09-12-2017 10:10 AM

Medicaid fraud is a thorn in everyone's side. As far as the hover board, not so much, more mobility for one thing. Would the story be there, if he was a short dentist using a stool? Apparently, no one was injured , not mentioned in the story anyway. :confused:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-12-2017 11:02 AM

From another article embedded in the original article:

What exactly is an “unlawful dental act”?

According to court documents, Lookhart repeatedly used IV sedation to knock patients out, not because they needed it, but because Medicaid covered the procedure while private insurance companies did not.

Prosecutors say Lookhart did this so often that he ended up billing nearly $2 million for IV sedative procedures, often doing it just to clean patients’ teeth, according to the Alaska Dispatch News. Eight of the charges against Lookhart are for medical fraud or theft of more than $25,000, and he alone accounted for more than 30 percent of Medicaid’s billings for the procedure in the state in 2016, per Alaska Public Media.

But perhaps most alarming is what Lookhart allegedly did once his patients were unconscious. According to KTUU, prosecutors are accusing him of riding a hoverboard and recording a patient as he pulled out her tooth. He later sent the footage of the procedure to his friends, joking that it represented a “new standard of care.” The patient said she did not know about Lookhart’s actions while she was asleep.

Lookhart also allowed an office manager, Shauna Cranford, to extract two teeth from a sedated patient and record the procedure, despite the fact that she does not have a medical license, court documents show. Prosecutors also say Cranford was the one who first persuaded Lookhart to over-prescribe the IV sedation procedure, and she has been charged with 10 felonies and six misdemeanors.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation- ... 97574.html

Wow.......... I mean, where do you start? Sedating patients, but not monitoring? Needlessly sedating patients? What if the patient had a reaction to the sedation? Allowing non-qualified staff the perform extractions? Really??????? What if the patient developed an infection due to improperly following protocols designed to mitigate risk of infection. Dental issues can result in cardiac issues if undiagnosed or left untreated. Who will be responsible for the follow-up and management of this patent's care? Then there is the issue of filing a patient (period) as well as filming an unconscious patient. Not only is this a clear violation of Patient Rights, but may also be a HIPPA violation unless the dentist sought and obtained a signed release from the patient authorizing the filming and dissemination of materials

Not sure what he means about the "new standard or care" that he's proposing, but, on first blush, I'd caution Alaskans be beware as this seems to be more of a marketing ploy than uses of real skills with improved outcomes and improvements to patients. In Massachusetts, this guy wouldn't last very long........ He'd have his license to practice yanked.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

maryals51
Pirate

Post by maryals51 » 09-12-2017 03:34 PM

Doka wrote: 09-12-2017 10:10 AM Medicaid fraud is a thorn in everyone's side. As far as the hover board, not so much, more mobility for one thing. Would the story be there, if he was a short dentist using a stool? Apparently, no one was injured , not mentioned in the story anyway. :confused:
Nope, Dr Lookhart was a little over 6 ft tall!

maryals51
Pirate

Post by maryals51 » 09-12-2017 03:42 PM

I think he was trying to be funny with his remark about "...new standard of care..."
Like I said, there are seldom any Red Flags or even hints that your Dentist, Doctor, or any Health Care Professional is a crook or quack or weirdo or worse.
So I'm not gonna beat myself up with "...gee I should have known...I should have noticed..."

If the Prosecutors are contacting Patients, well, no one has contacted me.
Oh well

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 09-12-2017 11:51 PM

Maryals51 quote:

"Like I said, there are seldom any Red Flags or even hints that your Dentist, Doctor, or any Health Care Professional is a crook or quack or weirdo or worse."
"So I'm not gonna beat myself up with "...gee I should have known...I should have noticed...""

You are so right about the "Red Flags", Maryals51, a person would like to feel the "Professionals" that we deal with on a daily bases are all competent and on the up and up, but sadly that is not always the case. It's a hit and miss situation for all of us, so you have lot's of company.

What really takes the cake is the guy that did the 1st article was seemly only concerned about the hover board, the 2nd article Kbot brought up was all out "spooky"!

PS Hope you stick around Maryals51 and keep us company. :D l
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Return to “Weird Nooz”