Star Trek Discovery

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doka
Pirate

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Doka » 09-25-2017 12:37 PM

Star Trek Discovery

I was looking forward to the new Star Trek . After watching it, I just felt upset and let down. The fact that my expectations where set too high is a good possibility!

Hard pressed to find a "likable" character, I found it dark and divisive , I could have watched the MSM to get the same thing, without the costumes. Maybe I'm one of those people that want to be entertained and not reminded that the world is a mess, that's why I watched it! Take me away and let me have some fun for hour. May be just too much to ask for :confused:

Did any one else watch it? Your thoughts?...............
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by Riddick » 09-25-2017 03:46 PM

I haven't seen it but besides the show itself, what about the name?

Of course, it all started with STTOS followed by STTNG and the rest

Now. we have 'Star Trek Discovery'... What's THAT all about?

STD? Oh man. Sounds nasty. Use protection, folks.
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 09-25-2017 05:30 PM

HA! Riddick, You where born with a "silver tongue ", a creative mind and blessed with a magnificent sense of humor!

:peace:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Difference between Star Trek: Discovery and The Orville

Post by Riddick » 09-27-2017 12:56 AM

"What it comes down to is this: With very few changes, 'The Orville' could easily be 'Star Trek.' By contrast, with very few changes, 'Star Trek: Discovery' could easily not be 'Star Trek.'" - PETER DAVID

From Wikipedia: David first began writing Star Trek novels at the request of Pocket Books editor Dave Stern, who was a fan of David's Star Trek comic book work. His Star Trek novels are among those for which he is best known, including Q-in-Law; I, Q; Vendetta; Q-Squared; and Imzadi, one of the best-selling Star Trek novels of all time. He created the ongoing novel series, Star Trek: New Frontier, a spin-off from Star Trek: The Next Generation, with John J. Ordover in 1997.
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

I Was Just Thinking...

Post by Riddick » 09-29-2017 05:32 AM

If folks don't avoid it, what if "STD" spreads like wildfire and overtakes the entire franchise - Might we see new takes/reimaginings of old favorites as spinoff tie-ins, like

...ST: Voyeur?

...ST: Deep Space 69?

...ST: The Next Penetration?

...ST: The Search For Sex?

...ST: The Orgasmic Series?

All sponsored by
VULCAN BRAND CONDOMS
When that time in life comes to "seek out strange new places", there's no better way to be prepared

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-29-2017 03:41 PM

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-30-2017 10:37 PM

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Scott Mendelson: 'The Orville' Is The 'Star Trek' Show Fans Have Been Waiting For

Post by Riddick » 10-03-2017 12:40 AM

I’ve written at length over the last year about the current contradiction present in the ongoing Star Trek universe. To wit, the recent movies (going back at least to Star Trek: Nemesis and obviously the rebooted continuity) have had to juggle the needs of the many (audiences who crave big-scale blockbuster action) with the needs of the few (hardcore Star Trek fans who prefer more philosophy and less slam-bang spectacle).

The irony is that the movies cost way too much compared to the actual overseas appeal of the Star Trek movies, and said big budgets and Star Wars-ish action beats have gone toward conventional event movie thrills that have turned off the hardcore fans. Even the most recent two-part pilot for CBS All Access’s Star Trek Discovery was arguably a TV-scaled variation of same, offering huge spectacle to plant its flag in the sand.

I bring all of this up because, to my shock and delight, I am officially a big fan of Seth MacFarlane’s The Orville. The sci-fi Fox episodic, which aired its fourth episode last night, was sold as a kind of “Family Guy meets Star Trek” farce, but it’s something a little trickier. The Orville is closer to something like Sports Night set aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise. It’s an optimistic look at good people doing a good job that struggles at being a comedy when it would rather be a drama.

At a glance, Star Trek Discovery may end up being Studio 60 to The Orville’s 30 Rock. The comparison is not related to quality, merely in terms of initial intentions (a very grandiose sci-fi actioner versus a somewhat self-poking workplace comedy).But, four episodes in, I can already argue MacFarlane has ironically given Star Trek fans what they claim to want from the sci-fi property.

By not having a budget (or requirements) for wall-to-wall spectacle, the hour-long Fox show is forced to focus on character, chemistry, sci-fi plotting and moral debates that have partially defined Gene Roddenberry’s property for generations. Being a network TV show, it is forced to be the kind of Star Trek that fans claim the recent movies have neglected in favor of four-quadrant blockbuster thrills.

The Orville is not a spoof, but rather a straight-faced Trek show with characters who are funny and can laugh at funny events. The show has quickly moved away from the broader pitch of Family Guy in space and has quickly become essentially a Star Trek drama with periodic jokes and one-liners. The low-key approach works as a counterpoint to the rough-and-tumble recent movies (and the action-filled Discovery pilot) and offers a core variation on Star Trek.

Optimistic to its core, The Orville is a Star Trek show for folks who want something a bit old-school. I haven’t seen the third episode of Star Trek Discovery, and I frankly don’t wish to make it a competition. The best-case scenario is that the CBS show, with a superb lead in Sonequa Martin-Green, offers high-quality, big-scale Star Trek while Fox’s “homage” offers a more traditional Trek which emphasizes cast chemistry and social issues of the day.

Obviously, The Orville may yet crash and burn, as (presuming a 24-episode season) we’re only one-sixth of the way through, but by ripping off rather than revamping and by being hamstrung by network TV production values and thus putting an emphasis on character and social parable over sci-fi action, it has a pretty good shot at becoming the kind of Star Trek that fans claim to want so badly. I’m hoping this variation indeed lives long and prospers.

FULL ARTICLE

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-05-2017 01:20 PM

"Pria", The Orville episode airing on FOX tonight and guest starring Charlize Theron was directed by this guy:

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-08-2017 02:20 AM

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 10-08-2017 09:54 AM

Riddick wrote: 10-05-2017 01:20 PM "Pria", The Orville episode airing on FOX tonight and guest starring Charlize Theron was directed by this guy:

I enjoyed that episode, May watch it again, :D As for STD, they can go far far away!..........
KARMA RULES

Riddick
Pirate

"Pria"

Post by Riddick » 10-08-2017 12:38 PM

Doka wrote: 10-08-2017 09:54 AM I enjoyed that episode, May watch it again, :D As for STD, they can go far far away!..........
:nod:

The Orville has a leg up on Discovery. Even moreso this past week, wink wink

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-14-2017 10:20 PM

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

This Thursday's "The Orville"

Post by Riddick » 10-17-2017 10:54 PM

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 10-18-2017 12:35 AM

Apparently it's going political too ..........Back to my brainless "Who done its" and HG TV........ :D
KARMA RULES

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”