Senator John McCain dies at 81

Moderator: Super Moderators

Raggedyann
Pirate

Re: Senator John McCain dies at 81

Post by Raggedyann » 08-29-2018 01:15 PM

A reality check for you Doka...

The full story on Trump's 'economic turnaround'

(CNN)President Trump claimed credit for the strong economic growth numbers released on Friday morning, attributing them to his administration's actions on taxes, trade, and regulations.

The economy did grow at a 4.1% annual pace in the second quarter, the best in four years. But most of the statistics that Trump cited as evidence of "an economic turnaround of historic proportions" require context to be fully understood.
For example, economic growth has topped 4% in four other quarters since 2009. And Trump's claim that "we're going to go a lot higher than these numbers" conflicts with the predictions of most bank and Federal Reserve economists, who forecast that growth will slow in 2019 and 2020.

"This is not sustainable," said KC Mathews, chief investment officer at Kansas City-based UMB Bank. "Maybe we get a soft landing. Growth will slow, but we may not have a recession. Growth could go back to about a 2% to 2.5% level."
To help put it all in perspective, here's the context on some of the other economic data points Trump cited.

Annual GDP growth
By Lydia DePillis

Trump has been touting that economic growth will continue to be strong throughout his presidency.
"We are on track to meet the highest annual growth rate in over 13 years. During each of the two previous administrations, we averaged just over 1.8% GDP growth. By contrast, we are now on track to hit an average GDP annual growth of over 3%, and it could be substantially over 3%."
Related: How the US economy is doing now -- in four charts
The average of the annual real growth rates of the past two administrations was 1.9%. That included several years that covered the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. It is true that many economists are projecting the economy will grow by 3% in 2018. That would be the highest since 2005, when the economy grew by 3.5%.

Unemployment
By Lydia DePillis

Trump claimed that unemployment has reached record lows for black, Hispanic and Asian Americans and for Americans with disabilities. He also said that the unemployment rate for women is the lowest in 65 years, and that veteran unemployment is the lowest in 18 years.
Those numbers are all correct. But they have been falling fairly consistently since 2010. Also, there weren't many women out looking for jobs in 1953, the last time unemployment for women was 3.6%, as it was in May.
More broadly, unemployment and economic growth are not the only ways to measure the well-being of households. Another important element, worker pay, has been flat over the past year by some measures, such as real average hourly wages for rank-and-file workers. By others, such as Sentier Research's median household income index, which takes into account all forms of income such as dividends and Social Security payments, it has risen.

Job creation
By Katie Lobosco

Trump touted the number of jobs created since he won the presidency.
"We have added 3.7 million new jobs since the election. A number that is unthinkable if you go back to the campaign. Nobody would have said it. Nobody would have even in an optimistic way projected it. We are in the midst of the longest positive job growth streak in history."
The economy has indeed added 3.7 million jobs since November 2016. June was the 93rd straight month of gains, which is the longest on record.
But the economy is cranking out jobs at a slower pace than it was before Trump was elected.
The United States added 2.7 million jobs in 2015 and 2.3 million in 2016. It added 2.2 million last year and is on pace for 2.6 million this year.

Food stamp enrollment
By Tami Luhby

Trump touted that his economic turnaround has helped millions of people leave the food stamp program.
"More than 3.5 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps, something that you haven't seen in decades," Trump said, noting that before he took office, more than 10 million Americans had signed up. "That's because they are able to go out and get a job."

It's true that the food stamp program's numbers ballooned in the wake of the Great Recession. Enrollment peaked at 47.6 million in 2013, up from 28.2 million in 2008.

Since Trump's inauguration in January 2017, the rolls have shrunk by just over 3 million, according to US Department of Agriculture data. Some 39.6 million Americans received food stamps as of April, the latest figures available.
But the decline predated Trump's presidency. Enrollment dropped by 3.5 million between 2013 and 2016.
Certainly, the strong job market has helped more people become self-sufficient. But policy changes have also contributed.
Related: States aren't waiting for Washington to require poor residents to work
Adults ages 18 to 49 who aren't disabled and don't have dependent children can only receive food stamps for three months unless they work at least 20 hours a week. Many states waived this provision during the economic downturn, but started reimposing it in recent years as the job market improved.
This change may have forced up to 1 million people off the rolls in 2016, according to an estimate at the time by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a left-leaning group. More states, including Kentucky, West Virginia and Tennessee, have reinstated the time limit in some or all of their counties since Trump took office.

The state of Obamacare
By Tami Luhby

Trump took the opportunity to blast Obamacare during his speech on the economy.
"We have also liberated millions of Americans from the crushing burdens of Obamacare," he said. "The cruel individual mandate penalty is gone ... And Obamacare is now on its last legs, fortunately." Not quite.
Congress did eliminate the penalty associated with the individual mandate, which requires nearly all Americans to have health insurance, as part of its 2017 tax reform bill.

But that doesn't take effect until next year. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that the number of uninsured will rise by 3 million in 2019 because of this provision.

Meanwhile, enrollment in Affordable Care Act plans has remained fairly steady. The number of people signing up for 2019 plans during open enrollment dipped 3.8% to nearly 11.8 million, according to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
But the number of people who actually enrolled -- meaning they paid their first month's premium -- rose by about 3% to 10.6 million, as of mid-March, the agency said.

Related: Insurers aren't running scared from Obamacare anymore
Also, Obamacare is enjoying a resurgence among insurers for 2019. Carriers are entering or returning to at least a dozen states, while others are expanding their presence in the states in which they operate.
This is quite a turnaround from a year ago, when insurers were fleeing the Affordable Care Act exchanges, worried about the law's uncertain future with Republicans in control of the White House and Congress.
Related: Obamacare sign ups remain strong in 2018, but next year remains uncertain

Net worth
By Tami Luhby

The nation has gotten richer since Trump took office, a point he noted in his speech Friday.
"Since I was elected we've created approximately $7 trillion of new wealth," he said.
It's true the nation's net worth has grown by about that amount, according to the Federal Reserve. It rose to $101 trillion in the first quarter, up from $94 trillion in the same period a year earlier, when Trump took office.
(The gain shrinks to just under $5 trillion if you adjust the figures for inflation.)
However, the country was getting wealthier long before Trump's presidency. After taking a beating during the Great Recession, net worth rocketed back. It rose by nearly $40 trillion during the eight years of Barack Obama's presidency, or $31 trillion when adjusted for inflation.

Related: Millions of Americans can't feel the stock market boom
The booming stock market and rising real estate values contributed to the growth in wealth for both Obama's and Trump's presidencies.

Not everyone is sharing in the wealth boom, however. Only 54% of Americans have money invested in the stock market, according a Gallup survey from the spring of 2017.

Business investment
By Lydia DePillis

Trump says it's booming.
"The year before I came into office, private business investment grew at only 1.8%. Last year it jumped to 6.3%. This year it's growing at 9.4%. That's a very tremendous increase. There hasn't been an increase like that in many many years, decades."
Trump appears to be referring to real private non-residential investment — the money that businesses spend on things like commercial construction, tools and machinery.

His advisers have called this a key goal of the tax cuts. When businesses upgrade their equipment, they say, they can raise worker productivity and justify paying more.

The White House's Council of Economic Advisers published a brief walking through the numbers. Weak investment in 2016 mostly had to do with an enormous drop in oil and gas drilling, and the rebound in 2017 came mostly because of that sector's recovery.

But you don't have to go back very far to get a similar growth rate. Real non-residential fixed investment grew by 9.5% in 2012 from the previous year.

The Republican tax cut
By Katie Lobosco

Trump praised Republicans in Congress for cutting taxes. As a result, he said, "six million Americans are now enjoying new bonuses, better jobs and far bigger paychecks."

Hundreds of companies cited the tax cuts when they announced bonuses, wage increases and new employee perks this year. Walmart, Bank of America, and American Airlines were among the companies that handed out bonuses.
Still, six million employees represents less than 5% of the private sector work force. And for most of those workers, the benefit will be short-lived because it came as a one-time bonus or additional contribution to 401(k) plans.
Shareholders have received a much bigger benefit from the new tax law. Companies have announced hundreds of billions of dollars in stock buybacks since their taxes were cut.

Trade deficit
By Tami Luhby

Trump boasted about the decline in the trade deficit in the most recent quarter.
"Perhaps one of the biggest wins in the report, and it is indeed a big one, is that the trade deficit -- very dear to my heart because we've been ripped off by the world -- has dropped by more than $50 billion. $52 billion to be exact," he said. "That's a tremendous drop. We haven't had a drop like that in a long time."

Yes, the trade deficit narrowed from $902 billion in the first quarter of 2018 to $850 billion in the second quarter. But the deficit in the first quarter was also the largest it's been since 2006, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
Even now, the trade deficit remains slightly higher than it was when Trump took office. It came in at $845.5 billion in the first quarter of last year.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/27/politics ... index.html
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-29-2018 02:39 PM

CNN never lies :roll: Just ask Lannie Davis.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-29-2018 02:54 PM

After reading the article you posted, with more care, you didn't have a chance. Low information will win every time.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-29-2018 04:34 PM

Sen. Dianne Feinstein Honors ‘Donald McCain’ On MSNBC

https://dailycaller.com/2018/08/29/dian ... ain-msnbc/

Sen. Feinstein looks so tired. To be expected, I suppose, after finding out she had employed a Chinese Spy for the last 20 years. Not a thing that any of us would want to deal with, as the down-side of life is slipping away from us.
KARMA RULES

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 08-29-2018 08:38 PM

Doka wrote: 08-29-2018 02:54 PM After reading the article you posted, with more care, you didn't have a chance. Low information will win every time.
There is no way a President can drastically change the economy in the speed he claims to have to done it. That is just preposterous. Fits right in with his other claim of phoney successes. North Korea dismantling nukes. lol. There's a lot more of his bs you can read. I can't be bothered to look them all up. :roll:
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-30-2018 10:59 AM

There is no way a President can drastically change the economy in the speed he claims to have to done it.

And you know this because?:

Your vast experience in commerce, by your vast holdings?

Or this is what your "Handlers" told you to say?
KARMA RULES

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-30-2018 11:22 AM

I had no idea that McCain's funeral was to be a lavish week long affair. And by invitation only, no less, I guess there really is no other way to let others know that they are being "Snubbed", and what would be the point of that? Losing all that "Press". Does any one know if he will be encased in glass and placed in the Capital Rotunda? The Dems do need a new shrine, since they are pulling down all the ones they don't like.
KARMA RULES

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-30-2018 12:21 PM

Doka wrote: 08-29-2018 12:50 AM
kbot wrote: 08-28-2018 06:58 PM His looks don't bother me - I'm no heartthrob, believe me. And I've seen plenty of disfigured patients over the years, but, honestly, if Trump for ONE DAY could restrain himself, and not make everything about him........

You are so wrong. For those of us that love our country and what freedoms we do have and would like to keep. HE IS OUR VOICE! He is one mere foibled human, standing in front of the masses that hate his guts and wish him dead, gone! The news, the TV, The Printed page, the Movie Stars, the Zombies, who only live to destroy. The Facebooks, the Googles and Twitters, that wish to cush this country and it's people like bugs so they fit into their dream of "Ruling the World" and silence us and put a plague of pain and hopelessness over the people that can only be described as "Truly Biblical" you think I exaggerate? That's your right, matters not one wit to me.

I agree that Trump is an unlikely hero , a lone voice, as you'll ever see, but never think it is Just About Him, anything he says is about what, we who have intuitive understanding of the reality that surrounds us. I guarentee you that there are no men that would stand with us as long and as diligent as Trump has, fighting a fight for the people and the country, making our country more prosperous, than it has been for decades. Yet, he has been so maligned , by those who need a whole lot of saving! If he quit today, I wouldn't blame him. Perhaps the "day of reckoning", will put us all out of our misery. For those that like living "The Old Testiment" way.

So Kbot, continue what ever you are doing. Putting "lip-stick" on Devils" is hard work, and you will never have a shortage of fresh material.

It takes charactor to survive .......and do it well.

Leva bolas.............
Doka wrote: 08-29-2018 12:50 AM
You are so wrong. For those of us that love our country and what freedoms we do have and would like to keep. HE IS OUR VOICE! He is one mere foibled human, standing in front of the masses that hate his guts and wish him dead, gone! The news, the TV, The Printed page, the Movie Stars, the Zombies, who only live to destroy. The Facebooks, the Googles and Twitters, that wish to cush this country and it's people like bugs so they fit into their dream of "Ruling the World" and silence us and put a plague of pain and hopelessness over the people that can only be described as "Truly Biblical" you think I exaggerate? That's your right, matters not one wit to me.

I agree that Trump is an unlikely hero , a lone voice, as you'll ever see, but never think it is Just About Him, anything he says is about what, we who have intuitive understanding of the reality that surrounds us. I guarentee you that there are no men that would stand with us as long and as diligent as Trump has, fighting a fight for the people and the country, making our country more prosperous, than it has been for decades. Yet, he has been so maligned , by those who need a whole lot of saving! If he quit today, I wouldn't blame him. Perhaps the "day of reckoning", will put us all out of our misery. For those that like living "The Old Testiment" way.

So Kbot, continue what ever you are doing. Putting "lip-stick" on Devils" is hard work, and you will never have a shortage of fresh material.

It takes charactor to survive .......and do it well.

Leva bolas.............
Doka, I get that Trump has his supporters and respect that. I don't agree with much of what he says -at first I liked some of what he said concerning protecting Americans and American workers, but, whether it's due to his inability to look at the details and how some actions can adversely affect others down the line, or, maybe he just doesn't care, yes, he's helped in some ways, in others I believe that he's made some things worse.

I believe that, whether through omission on his part by not strongly condemning actins and speaking out against the alt-right, he's given a much stronger voice to the Ultra Right wing of the GOP which has undeservedly taken the party to places best left unexplored.

And I get that the kneejerk reaction to immediately point to Antifa and other Left extremist groups might be the answer, but neither extreme IS the answer. What should occur is a middle group, but I only see polarization becoming more mainstream. Look at the Florida elections and GOP gubernatorial candidate Ron DiSantis' "monkey it up" remarks. Is this what politics has become now? Wasn't a Bush 41 or 43 fan, but this wouldn't have flown during their administrations. And when Senator McCain was meeting with an elderly woman about Obama and her issues with his perceived background the senator admonished her for her views. On the radio this morning I heard a story about how a century ago, Teddy Roosevelt was attacked for inviting Booker T Washington to the White House. He was excoriated by his party, particularly Southern Republicans for the dinner. Nearly a century later, Obama became and while I didn't agree with some of his policies, I still respected him as a human being, as well as the office.

Society now, seems even more polarized. I think that the Obama administration was very tough on a LOT of people, but not especially due to his policies. I thin that Trump but his views, spoken or otherwise, has given voice to some very extreme people......
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 08-30-2018 02:14 PM

Doka wrote: 08-30-2018 11:22 AM I had no idea that McCain's funeral was to be a lavish week long affair. And by invitation only, no less, I guess there really is no other way to let others know that they are being "Snubbed", and what would be the point of that? Losing all that "Press". Does any one know if he will be encased in glass and placed in the Capital Rotunda? The Dems do need a new shrine, since they are pulling down all the ones they don't like.
Under normal circumstances, (these aren't), McCain would have probably received the usual 2 day fanfare send off but due to Trump's nastiness to him over the last 2 yrs., the powers that be have decided to rub his nose in it by dragging things out as long as possible. Trump's nastiness is childishly impulsive with not one second of forethought. McCain's family, friends, and piers are intelligent, experienced and patient old hats in this game. And the media that Trump hates are happily televising every moment. lol

Usually the fanfare that is televised for famous people who kick the bucket is a bore but I have to say I've enjoyed watching this one. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the WH at night watching Trump pace around scheming up ways to get back at all the enemies he has created. The man has been in over his empty head from day one.

Riddick
Pirate

Political Physics

Post by Riddick » 08-31-2018 12:58 AM

kbot wrote: 08-30-2018 12:21 PM Doka, I get that Trump has his supporters and respect that. I don't agree with much of what he says -at first I liked some of what he said concerning protecting Americans and American workers, but, whether it's due to his inability to look at the details and how some actions can adversely affect others down the line, or, maybe he just doesn't care, yes, he's helped in some ways, in others I believe that he's made some things worse.

I believe that, whether through omission on his part by not strongly condemning actins and speaking out against the alt-right, he's given a much stronger voice to the Ultra Right wing of the GOP which has undeservedly taken the party to places best left unexplored.

And I get that the kneejerk reaction to immediately point to Antifa and other Left extremist groups might be the answer, but neither extreme IS the answer. What should occur is a middle group, but I only see polarization becoming more mainstream.
I understand where you're coming from kbot. I can't say I see it all the same way you do, but for sure I can say and see clearly the mainstream's pretty well polarized already, and that's with the midterm campaigning not even officially started yet -

Highly charged opposites collide, what'll we see come out the other side? Heck, I don't have the answer. But I doubt it'll be neutral.
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-03-2018 07:37 AM

As a country, we won't be able to get much done with this polarized political climate, which has been getting worse every decade. I think that this was the point Presidents Bush 43 and Obama were trying to make during their respective eulogies. The country has to find common ground and I think that Senator McCain did an exceptionable final act to focus attention on this fact while he had, literally, the country's attention one last time. To bring together political opponents who had been the object of their respective polar opposites, and get them to briefly describe how petty politics is damaging to the country (beyond their own political goals) was a stroke of genius on McCain's part.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-03-2018 07:54 AM

Raggedyann wrote: 08-30-2018 02:14 PM Usually the fanfare that is televised for famous people who kick the bucket is a bore but I have to say I've enjoyed watching this one. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the WH at night watching Trump pace around scheming up ways to get back at all the enemies he has created. The man has been in over his empty head from day one.
I didn't get to see the senator's funeral real-time - I was at work assisting with a computer systems upgrade, so I watched the rebroadcast on C SPAN.

BUT, Senator McCain, I thought, did the country a service (again) and used the opportunity, as no one could have done, probably, to get us to focus our attention on how such a toxic political environment can be harmful to us as a country.

In the weeks preceding Senator McCain's passing, The Atlantic ran a nice piece harking back to Nixon's presidency and drawing parallels with Trump's administration:

The New Enemies List

Trump’s embrace of one of Richard Nixon’s most notorious moves poses a question: Will voters still hold a president accountable for abusing his power?

Reacting to The New York Times’ story that White House Counsel Don McGahn has been speaking with Robert Mueller’s team, President Donald Trump tweeted out that McGahn is not a “John Dean type ‘RAT,’” and that the story was “fake news.”

It’s odd that Trump should bring up Dean this weekend, for it was only this week that we also learned Trump has an enemies list, just like Richard Nixon did. Unlike Nixon, though, the president is hiding nothing—using security clearances and his Twitter account as the chief weapons with which to go after his opponents.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... st/567874/

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 09-03-2018 09:45 AM

All Political speeches brought to by the George Soros and Friends "Lead the Sheeple, to a Cliff Foundation" "Leave the Pushing To Us!"

Even after the McCain sponsered "Trump Hate Fest" Trump flew him and his entourage to burial in style.

Sincerity in grieving the more recent aggrieved comes in meaningful prayer not from political theatrics.

How prog-left brass ‘Cat Balloued' Senator John McCain’s Memorial

It’s all over but for the private Annapolis, Maryland burial today, but did anybody bother to pray for the soul of the late Senator John McCain during the public memorial service, or was it just-poor-taste theatrics all the way through?

Until the progressive-left moved in to politicize them, memorials were held to pray over the dead, asking God Almighty to show mercy on their souls.

Little wonder why many main street Americans were disgusted by the antics during the televised, week-long memorial service of the late Senator John McCain.

The progressive-left establishment seized the opportunity of the senator’s memorial to bash a sitting president, some of their top brass putting their incurable TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) on full public display.

Senator McCain did not want to allow President Trump at his memorial, but at least two of their top-ranked members brought him in anyway.

In the end the service said a lot more about them than it did about either the senator or the president.

Snippet From Article:

"In the movie, Lee Marvin playing swaggering drunk Kid Shelleen loudly bursts into a coffin-dominated room, bragging that he’s “loaded for bear”. He is pointedly asked by the grieving Ballou family, “Do you know what’s going on here?”

“The scene in which they are about to bury Cat’s father is a particular highlight; unaware of what is going on, he proceeds to sing “Happy Birthday” and blows out the candles at the end of the coffin!”

Snippet From Article:

“The late Arizona senator’s casket was loaded onto one of the jets known as Air Force 2—which is often designated for the VP or First Lady’s travel. As you know, 45 will not be attending McCain’s service in D.C. ... reportedly because McCain wanted it that way.

“Still, Trump announced earlier this week he had greenlit military transport for McCain, saying, “At the request of the McCain family, I have also authorized military transportation of Senator McCain’s remains from Arizona to Washington, D.C., military pallbearers and band support, and a horse and caisson transport during the service at the United States Naval Academy.”

The Rest of the Article
https://canadafreepress.com/article/how ... s-memorial
KARMA RULES

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 09-03-2018 11:16 AM

BUT, Senator McCain, I thought, did the country a service (again) and used the opportunity, as no one could have done, probably, to get us to focus our attention on how such a toxic political environment can be harmful to us as a country.

You are an enigma. But I know how impressed you are with ritual, so no surprise. You have chosen what you want, with perfect clarity. George Soros will be delighted.
KARMA RULES

Riddick
Pirate

Uncommon Ground

Post by Riddick » 09-03-2018 03:26 PM

kbot wrote: 09-03-2018 07:37 AM As a country, we won't be able to get much done with this polarized political climate, which has been getting worse every decade.
Much done like avoid bankruptcy? The national debt just keeps ballooning while SS and Medicare run out of air big-time as aging Baby Boomers' payouts outpace an ever shrinking supply of payers-in cash, with any answer to the problem being all the more extreme all the longer politicians of both parties put it off

The two DO act in bipartisan fashion, insofar neither wants to step on the 3rd rail. Instead and increasingly candidates cater to elements of their respective ideological fringes to 'stir up the base,' increase turnout and gain electoral advantage. At the same time such pandering creates a NEW disenfranchised voter class -

Searching on the left & on the right the "alt-middle" is looking for an appealing voice. Good luck with that!
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Return to “Politics and Government 2014 - Present”