Technical Difficulties & Murphy's Law

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Technical Difficulties & Murphy's Law

Post by Riddick » 07-06-2023 01:42 AM

Have you ever had one of those middle of the weeks where everything goes wrong all at once? It started with my phone, & later on top of that my desktop PC, majorly putting me at a disadvantage for maintaining my usual activity here

Putting things right will require my attention & time in the coming days, more so than has ever been the case in previous similar circumstances. So my lurkings & postings will be very sparse for quite some while, but I'll be around. Wish me luck! TC & ttyl

Doka
Pirate

Re: Technical Difficulties & Murphy's Law

Post by Doka » 07-06-2023 10:16 AM

Good Luck Riddic!technology is zipping so fast ! I'm so lost!
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

The Good, The Bad & The Debugly

Post by Riddick » 07-07-2023 04:25 AM

Good news is just now, things appear semi-stable, bad news is how it's been going, it's subject to change without notice, dealing with Murphy's Law as I troubleshoot -

Good news is my phone charging issue is manageable, so far - Bad news is, last time it acted up like this, I had a helluva time. Good news is I'm not as in the dark about what's going on this go-round; fingers crossed for straightening it out

Good news on the desktop front is, I got it to recognize my Seagate external drive, and all the data looks to be there - A huge relief! Bad news is, while there's life in it tests showed it's not in the best of health. To be safe I need to back it up.

Good news is, I recently got another Seagate external drive from a friend that I can copy most of the data to. Bad news is, the power cord on the other went bad, & as I'm using the one from his on it I can't have both in use at the same time

Good news is, I have a smaller external drive I can use as a backup bridge from the ailing drive to the new drive - Bad news is it'll be way more work than a direct transfer. Plus I have to prioritize files to fit on the new drive's available space

Good news is I'm not panicking. It's a pain & will take a lot of time, but as it is the data needed a good cleaning & sorting. Junk expands to fill the space available! Will this cure me of file hoarding? Maybe but prolly not. I'm a packrat by nature

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 07-07-2023 03:41 PM

You currently sound "Well balanced " Pack Rat? I too have just recently discovered my "Pack Rat" tendencies and I am driving myself nuts! I am slowly coming go the conclusion that I need to go into a Nursing Home, since I keep waking up every morning! Drat!
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-08-2023 12:45 AM

Doka wrote: ↑07-07-2023 03:41 PM You currently sound "Well balanced " Pack Rat? I too have just recently discovered my "Pack Rat" tendencies and I am driving myself nuts!
For as long as it's been a dominant trait, I've been well aware of my packrating penchant, yet entrenched as it is impact of efforts to overcome it is low. Old habits are hard to break. What's different now is I'm not letting it get to me -

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Making the effort is better than not. Events like this help put it in perspective. When I had drives take a dump in the past I'd freak out. This time when I thot all hope was lost, not quite so much.

Learning from previous experience it's not the end of the world, my possessiveness of "stuff" has diminished to a degree - Mass data stores are nice, but they can also be more trouble than they're worth, and at some point, less is more.
Doka wrote: ↑07-07-2023 03:41 PM I am slowly coming go the conclusion that I need to go into a Nursing Home, since I keep waking up every morning! Drat!
Wait, what? Is that the role of a nursing home now, to keep you from waking up - So the US is taking euthanasia cues from the Canucks? How about that. I suppose it's why Brandon gets his care at home.

Riddick
Pirate

Latest Good News & Bad News

Post by Riddick » 07-29-2023 05:54 PM

Good news is, took me awhile but my phone charge is working much better, stats are pretty much accurate. Bad news is my PC's worse off, on restart it struggles to load Windows then shuts down. Good news is I got it to boot into Safe Mode...

Bad news is Safe Mode's not very useful. Good news is I can still access files for backup. Bad news is that & sussing out the problem won't be fun. Good news is I'm taking it in stride. Bad news is it'll further forestall typical online socializing for the nonce -

Tho I'll be lurking, contributions will be VERY light. If you don't see replies to posts or PMs, it's cuz I'm otherwise attentively engaged & I'll ketchup witchya down the road. Wish me luck again!

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 07-29-2023 07:24 PM

Much Luck to you Riddick!

What is it with tecky things , my beloved old Jitterbug phone is dying, and I don't want a new Smartphone, they are too attached to the World ! :wink:
KARMA RULES

Riddick
Pirate

Good News/Bad News UPDATE

Post by Riddick » 08-05-2023 10:19 PM

Good news is I figured out why my desktop was turning itself off. Bad news is it's a peripherals connectivity issue & it's not restricted to just the one external drive. Good news is I'm managing to work around the problem as I attempt to isolate it.

Good news is my backups are about 80% done. Bad news is the rest will be more of a chore 'cuz of file & drive I/O errors. Good news is I believe I should still be able to get very nearly all of it backed up. Bad news is when it'll all be settled I can't say -

Good news is tho lurking & posting less, I haven't forgot about y'all - & who knows, I may have more time for leisure online activities again some day! Hope you're having a great weekend & TTYL

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-06-2023 01:19 PM

OMG,Riddick! Sounds like an episode of "Lost in Space" That's in my book anyway. I'm having my battle with googly, It is so obnoxious!
KARMA RULES

Riddick
Pirate

More Good News/Bad News

Post by Riddick » 08-12-2023 09:54 AM

Good news is I've encountered no new PC issues. Bad news is a phone charging issue reappeared. Good news is a port cleaning & new charger & cord seems to have rectified it. Bad news is the phone setback took time away from backups -

Good news is I'm feelin' a li'l more free to lurk & post. Bad news is I won't yet be up to my usual activity - Good news I'm here for as long the freer feeling persists. Have a great weekend!!

Riddick
Pirate

If It's Not One Thing It's Another!

Post by Riddick » 08-19-2023 07:18 PM

Bad news is now it's my Internet access that's gone wonky. Good news is I've ways of working around it. Bad news is it crimps my ability to Web surf freely. Good news is the time I don't spend mindlessly in cyberspace is time less wasted.

Bad news is I've more than enuff on my to-do list without a new computing issue to rectify. Good news is so long as it remains manageable I'm OK with it, even as it means my lurking & posting will be restricted I'll take care of it all in due course.

As usual, wish me luck & here's wishing y'all a really great rest of your weekend !

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate
Location: SW IN USA-UK Midlands SCANIAowner @ Sound Cloud - @ Supernaturalearth

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 08-19-2023 09:50 PM

Aww shucks Riddick!

Quoting Obi Wan Kanobi, "May the Force be with you!" :luke:

3 Bad news is...vs 3 Good news is...

At least it's a tie!😎

MK II πŸ™ FDNY 343 🍎 πŸ˜₯ πŸ”΄ πŸ›¬πŸŒ‡
[*]@ #2 Find the eerie antedating of 12/7/1941 vs 9/11/01

#1 A

https://youtu.be/DUY8aSx8-yo

#1 B

🌎 πŸ” 🌏 πŸ—» 🌍 πŸŒ‹
https://youtu.be/ajRuvYMk30E

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/superna ... -t543.html

Riddick
Pirate

The Story So Far...

Post by Riddick » 08-26-2023 02:29 PM

Phone: Charging is stable enuff, yet trust is still an issue so I'm keeping an eye on it.

Internet: Access remains subpar yet not all bad as it being less than optimal puts me off surfing the Web aimlessly, freeing time for more meaningful & needful pursuits

PC: Backup progression has been sufficient enuff I'm concentrating on file sorting. Issues with peripheral connectivity remain a mystery but have been manageable

BOTTOM LINE: I'd love to be all done, but I ain't there yet & I can't just wish it away! Everything takes longer than a person would prefer, but that's reality. Meantime you'll see me around, albeit in reduced capacity. Y'all have a marvy weekend, y'hear?

P.S. Hereon I'll be foregoing status updates with the expectation of slow but steady progress toward resolutions; in their absence, you can take it no news is good news!

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-27-2023 12:59 PM

A question Riddick, if I May. I know you use a different system( ?) Than the rest of us, and you have had no trouble until now. Would you say that TPTB are trying to eliminate what has worked well for you, for a long time? Hop you can figure out what I'm asking ! :confused:
KARMA RULES

Riddick
Pirate

The Computer Wore Menace Shoes

Post by Riddick » 08-27-2023 03:16 PM

Doka wrote: ↑08-27-2023 12:59 PM A question Riddick, if I May. I know you use a different system( ?) Than the rest of us, and you have had no trouble until now. Would you say that TPTB are trying to eliminate what has worked well for you, for a long time? Hop you can figure out what I'm asking ! :confused:
I've talked of ditching Winblows 10, tho I've yet to migrate to Linux. I keep iffy system updates from Microsquash at bay with OS tweaks, monitor Web traffic & update anti-virus/malware defs regularly. Symptoms point to a SW-HW conflict

Why it all went to crap I can't say with any certainty, but from experience I know it's one'a those sh!t happens, with no warning, one thing leading to another deal. The wonky internet access is the head-scratcher. Network issue? Solution TBD -

Mebbe Linux could be the answer, tho it'd be starting from square one - Still, things get way worse, it may fit the 'Bill' to steer clear of the 'Gates' of Hell!

A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Return to β€œShip's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”