Fantastic Forum Set Team

Moderator: Super Moderators

Tracker3
Pirate

Post by Tracker3 » 11-16-2003 07:22 PM

Oh and one more mod post. Now I have seen it all. A cigarette lighter for your pc mod...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/pcmods/cables/61fd/

Not that I endorse smoking but er...I couldn't believe this when I saw it and am posting it out of humor. I have never done business from these people either and in no way am I suggesting that anyone here buys from them as I do not know the quality of this company. Truly amazing the lengths at which one could go with mods...
oSSSS}--Tracker-3--------

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-16-2003 10:34 PM

The 12v dc mod is interesting, Tracker 3 ;) I didn't know these pcs put out that much power. :eek:

The team stats page that is posted on the FF Seti Webpage seems to function. You can access it from the main FF page:
http://www.fantasticforum.com

Wow. Doug has broken through 700 now - 708! I am now sandwiched in between Gwen and Doug. I just want to get to 1000... another 161 to go. Then I will feel somewhat respectable.

Tracker3
Pirate

Post by Tracker3 » 11-16-2003 10:58 PM

Linnea wrote: The 12v dc mod is interesting, Tracker 3 ;) I didn't know these pcs put out that much power. :eek:

Yeah go figure that a blow dryer for your hair is what 1500 watts? Shesh my fastest most powerful pc is only 550W.

Maybe it just takes longer for you to actually light the cigarette. Beats me! I got seti team working and my wu's just don't seem to be crunching much faster. I do know that the command line seti is pretty fast on some of my old 500mhz machines. Unfortunately I still have more old machines crunching than new.

Then new office with 30 new and faster machines has been put on hold for now. It will take the company a while to work out the employee situations there and renegotiate contracts before my company does anything with them. Oh well I'll get my grubby seti crunching hands on them soon enough. I kinda wanted to get them going though so I could ramp up production and zoom past 1 or 2 more of the top tier.

Btw Linnea...just in case you have forgotten you ARE significant here. Here's to your 1000th wu in advance! Cheers!

And no doubt Doug is loving his lighting fast PC and his broadband connection streaming those wu's back in!
Last edited by Tracker3 on 11-16-2003 11:02 PM, edited 1 time in total.
oSSSS}--Tracker-3--------

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-18-2003 10:05 PM

Hey, Doug - you just passed jaf. You seem to be crunching 4 to my 3 - so, should soon pass me as well. {unless I fire up another pc! ;) nah... }
:D
hmmmmmm.....

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 11-20-2003 01:26 AM

Here is a bit of good news for everyone:D

Account creation is up!! For beta-testers only right now but if you want to get in on the fun, have at it. The link is:
http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/
then go to "Create an account"

Then you're off!
Mark

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-21-2003 04:27 AM

I'm signed onto BOINC/Team Art Bell beta test. They are both running right now on the same machine. Mostly SETI with BOINC only using about 2% of my cycles. I like the cool AstroPulse GUI. :cool: Are these needed work or just practice? The one I'm working on now is from 1999. My next/last SETI@home goal is 666 WUs...don't think I can hit 1000 before deadline..

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 11-21-2003 10:42 AM

Well, Dale, if I say that your stats will be kept I'd be lying...they plan on resetting everything as far as stats once BOINC goes public which is no big deal. I like the fact that I get to start over from scratch since I didn't get in on the beginning of SETI@home I.

Don't try to run the old SETI@home with the BOINC/SETI@home/AP. The old one takes up all the CPU and doesn't allow BOINC to crunch anything. Believe me, I tried to have my cake and eat it too and it didn't work. ;)

SAH and AP are both on the same account key and there is nothing else to download. Just BOINC. BOINC will grab the programs (the latest versions) and the wu's that go with them once you log into the project. Try the right-click feature under all the tabs of BOINC to get to know your way around. Under the projects tab you can right click the project and then click Update to update and get new wu's if they are needed.

Mark

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-21-2003 03:52 PM

Thanks Mark. I was mostly just wanting to see how it ran. What I think is cool about is is that you can easily belong to several distributed computing projects. I'd love to find ET but there are also some great medical projects. If there is an immediate need for a lto of crunching to be done for whatever emergency this software can handle multiple accts. I bet a savvy hacker could even slip a covert version of it in on unknowing users PC and steal cycles.

I will continue to run S@H till I reach my goal. What is that deadline again? It's just a beta. I didn't think the numbers would count, didn't really care. I was just curious if the wu's were old and already processed under S@H or if we were doing them for the first time. Another thing I'm wondering is how much will I have to participate in this bet test for my results to be valid. Do they just want anyone to try any setup or are there guidelines to the test? Like I said, I won't be running it much. S@H is still a priority now.

But I am impressed. Will there be a leaner version for the older PCs? I don't even think my old P2 can handle the AstroPulse pop up graph.

Hmm. Another observation--I just opened BOINC again after shutting it down last night and notice it restarted the wu that it had gotten about 10% through. Do WUs have to be completed to be saved? 12 hours straight is a long run without logging off.

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 11-21-2003 07:47 PM

Dale,

I'm not sure on the deadline (when BOINC will go public). Obviously they will want to get all or most of the bugs out before that.

The wu's are new I do believe and they have a restructured checking system to see whether the results are valid or were corrupted by a user. Also, I believe that wu's are sent out each to at least 3 or 4 different accounts to ensure that the results are valid. They weigh the results sent back against each other and come up with some # that represents a valid result. I believe that it's not until this is done do we get the credit for the wu. That's why there is a "Claimed Credit" and a "Granted Credit".

As far as a leaner version, I doubt it. Although you don't have to see the graphics after you've seen them once or twice. I'm already bored with them. I'm just concerned about the crunching side of it.

About your restarting the BOINC client and it restarts the computation at 0%...that is a known bug but should have been worked out by now. I'm not having that problem anymore...running the current version of BOINC (ver. 2.10).

Also, for future reference...I was talking with Eric Heien (one of the programmers at Berkeley) and he's going to help me recompile the C++ source for the SAH client to make it run faster. He found a great tool called FFTW, which, when written into the SAH C++ code and the AP C++ code makes both run considerably faster. FFTW stands for Fastest Fourier Transformer in the West. Google it and you can read up on it. He said that David Anderson is going to use it for Astropulse, which Eric already has written and saved in their files for the next release of AP but he's not sure if he can convince David to use it for SAH because SAH is already pretty fast and with the speed of computers these days it would be an awfully heavy load on their servers. If I can get it going I will try to match it with my Windows machine and keep up with each new version of SAH. So far I've only compiled the FFTW program on Linux side of my P4 box. I still have some work to do. I'm just letting everyone know that I won't keep it to myself if David doesn't approve of an official SAH release with this tweak. I will share the knowledge and the wealth ;)

Mark

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-21-2003 10:58 PM

That FFTW sounds like it should help speed things up. Maybe too much for the SETI servers. They will be trying to distribute that bandwith next. ;) We get faster and they have to keep up, some how. Is that FFTW done before or after it's compiled? Just curious, no need for a lenghty answer. I've had a tiny bit of programming experience a long time ago. It has to be easier than it used to be. Heck I used to script and compile assember with 5 inch floppies and 640k RAM. :eek: :rolleyes: I never messed with C, tho. A little basic and assembler, pretty much it.

When will the last S@H WUs be crunched? What's the deadline on S@H? Prolly just as soon as BOINC is ready. Later

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 11-30-2003 08:34 AM

Linnea wrote: Hey, Doug - you just passed jaf. You seem to be crunching 4 to my 3 - so, should soon pass me as well. {unless I fire up another pc! ;) nah... }
:D
hmmmmmm.....

Nah - I don't seem to be able to get more than 123 less than you. (Must be my gaming addiction!) ;)

Return to “FANTASTIC FORUM ~ SETi Team”