Winter in Europe

Moderator: Super Moderators

Padi
Pirate

Winter in Europe

Post by Padi » 03-30-2002 06:46 AM

Hi i'm a new member! Found some of the topics interesting so i thought i might join in. Thought i'd start with what Winter was like here in Europe.

DECEMBER
Nasty storms swepped in for the first week before the weather settled on the 8th as high pressure built from the East heralding colder conditions. Over much of Europe there was a big freeze as plunges of arctic air whooshed down from the Moscow area reaching as far as Northern Spain and Greece. Barcelona recieved 4 inches of snow and the hills of Southern Italy also recieved unusual falls. Snow was even reported in Rome and Naples. As the freeze continued fog became a problem over UK and Cent. Europe. Germany recorded -40*c/-40f on one night. Freak snow storms hit Greece and Bulgaria as the cold weather reached the Eastern Med http://www.cnn.com/2002/WEATHER/01/05/greece.snow/
Over Christmas snow showers in the UK seemed quite tiny compared to the metre of level snow Germany had recieved. Snow storms and blizzards hit Scotland toward the end of Dec with heavy snow over the rest of Europe...and that was Winter basically in the http://www.disasterrelief.org/Disasters ... opewinter/ but the continent got more for a little while longer.

JANUARY
Started freezing cold and frosty however warmer weather and fronts moved in off the Atlantic by the 7th. Stayed mild and wet until the last week when fierce storms started pounding the UK causing flooding, structural damage and deaths. Cairngorm reported winds of 145mph on 28th and much of Scotland got 100mph gusts on that day.

FEBRUARY

More heavy rain and storm force winds battered the country for much of the month. Rivers burst their banks as snow melt from the mountains and yet more rain hit the UK. Capel Curig recieved 1.5ft of rain in 18 days. February stayed mild and unsettled.

So to summerise this Winter for the UK has been really crap. For someone who loves snow, to see Greece of all places getting record snowfalls was maddening!

Luckily new research shows the Gulf Stream is slowing anyway so i can at least hope that it shuts down.

What was the Winter like in the U.S? Like to hear what it was like there (probably 10 times better than here!)

[This message has been edited by Padi (edited 30 March 2002).]

Joe K
Pirate

Post by Joe K » 03-30-2002 04:21 PM

Welcome, Padi!

Winter here in the Midwest (near Chicago, Illinois) has been very mild. It seems that the jet stream dumped our precipitation on someone else.
Joe

God Bless America, and keep our kids safe

Barry
Pirate

Post by Barry » 03-30-2002 09:30 PM

Hi Padi: Welcome aboard the ship. It has been an extremely dry one here in So.California. To date, my rain gauge stands at 8.75 inches. Far below normal, (normal between 15-17 inches).
Have been reading the european weather and one might think and ice age is upon us. But with global warming? Antartica ice breaking up. The weather is sure crazy. We are hoping for El Nino for this next winter to give us much needed rain here. Our water supply from the Serria show pack is 90 percent of normal from what I have read so far. So, not to bad there. Our planet is a changin'.
Again, welcome aboard!
Barry
Chief Engineer
LTC Armstrong

Wolfen
Pirate

Post by Wolfen » 04-11-2002 01:45 AM

Padi, Joes part of the midwestern U.S. might have been dry, but mine sure was not. Western Michgan, only about 150 miles from Chicago, recived anywhere from 100 to 140 inches of snow this winder.
In late December through early January, areas near and to the S.W. of Grand Rapids MI. had up to 3 feet of snow on the ground.
Northern MI. had it even better, with Petosky recieveing nearly 120 inches in just 8 days in late December, and at one time had over 5 feet of snow on the ground. Marquette has recieved 310 inches this year, and has had 2 or more feet of snow on the ground for nearly 4 months!
We did not, however, have any extremely cold weather, the coldest we got was about -15F, most of the time we were in the teens and 20s at night, 20s and 30s durring the day.

scooby
Pirate

Post by scooby » 05-12-2002 11:57 PM

Hey Padi-
I may be misinterpreting what I've been
seeing about the Atlantic Conveyor,but I'm
under the impression that if it "shuts down"
or turns off,then you guys over there across
the pond may be in for some pretty cold
weather out on the moor.
Welcome aboard,matey.

LisaA
Pirate

Post by LisaA » 05-13-2002 09:30 AM

Hi, Padi--

Colorado was dry too, but cold. For two weeks I had to wear my big, fat down coat. Then it was very sunny in the spring, so it fooled my fruit trees into starting up too early and they froze, and we're fruitless. This is the second year of drought, so if next year is this dry we're going to have to worry. This year we have to water our lawns on specified days. It would be better if we didn't have lawns, of course.

scooby
Pirate

Post by scooby » 05-13-2002 10:01 PM

I'm sorry Padi-I didn't answer your question!
The winter here in KC was pretty mild.We
didn't have hardly any snow.I can remember
having huge snowfalls back in the mid 70s,
but the snow has seriously fallen off over
the past ten years or so.I've noticed a kind
of funny thing happening on our local news
casts,when it comes to reporting our weather:
the least amount of snow-even 2",is now
called a major snowstorm.It's wild.It's
almost as if they're trying to convince us
that were still having winter around here.
PREDICTION:next year,KC will not have snow!

Padi
Pirate

Post by Padi » 05-16-2002 02:53 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! As to the gulf stream thing i would be quite happy to have freezing cold Winters so it doesnt bother me. Recent studies have showed a slight slow down in the circulation but nothing major as of yet. The last time it shut down was from something like the 1500's to the early 1800's causing the mini ice age in Europe..... But i dunno how accurate those dates are without looking it up. All reports vary pretty dramatically on the subject of the gulf stream.....
http://naturalscience.com/ns/cover/cover5.html

------------------

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 05-19-2002 11:43 PM

Padi, Welcome aboard this ship called the Fantastic Forum! Good to read your most interesting post, though it is fraught with dire implications, some of us believe.

Is what you experiences just a fluke circumstance, or will it become a trend?

As for us here in So.-California, Barry has it quite correct, and we have had so little rain here that even the worms are growing thin. We NEED some rain here! We had a few drops with some drizzles here and there in the basin of San Fernando Valley and surrounding environs of thirty to fifty miles from central downtown Los Angeles for several days, but nothing sufficient to even thoroughly saturate into the earth for the trees. A bit more rain was reported in San Fernando Valley, though south to Orange County has been sparse.

Usually the pools around here are ready for summer fun, however, it has been such a long cool spell that hardly anyone is jumping-in, unless they can afford to heat their pools (and that is few indeed). The pool's temps are still around 62-F. degrees or so, and yet, other years we have been able to swim around late-April or by early-May, at least.

The weather reports state we will soon have some hotter-spells coming.

It was kinda a very mild winter, and our plant's flowers and trees bloomed several times. We now have lots of flowers in bloom, ruby-red roses, lots of colorful pansies (cannot take a lot of heat, they say, for very long), and the bright-yellow Mexican lilly is blooming in profusion nearby our koi-pond, and other lillies elsewhere are blooming wildly, too, and of course, the neighbor's bright bougainvilleas are doing great this year, too. We just had some sprinkles early this morning, and went to get the Sunday paper, and the air smelled so clean and sweet and fresh, and WOW, springtime was in the air! LOVELY!

Ninerism

[This message has been edited by Ninerism (edited 19 May 2002).]

Padi
Pirate

Post by Padi » 05-20-2002 05:20 AM

Hi ninerism.
We have also had a relatively mild Winter here with our spring flowers blossoming really early. It has stayed pretty cool and wet now though and it doesn't look like ending with depressions right the way across the Atlantic all heading our way. As for the question was it aimed at the gulf stream shut down?? If it was then nobody knows when it will next cause problems but they seem pretty sure it will slow sometime in the future. At the moment the news is filled with stories of how London will hit 40*c by 2080.....so the gulf stream isn't a big issue but it may become one if the slowing trend of the G.S continues.

Oh and feel free to borrow some of our rain!! Actually take it and keep it.

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 05-21-2002 02:06 PM

Hi, Padi! We just had a few drops here yesterday, and can use more, so keep sending it our way, ok?! What a welcome relief, and the air smelled so fresh and sweet all day yesterday, what a blessing. Instead of the song, "A foggy day in London Town" we hum, "A smoggy day in LA Town".

Ninerism

Barry
Pirate

Post by Barry » 05-21-2002 02:30 PM

Hi padi! We in so cal are still high and dry. It spit yesterday and I received 0.10", bringing my season total to 8.7 inches. We are in drought conditions. Normal here as aprox 15".
WELCOME ABOARD! Image
Chief Engineer
LTC Armstrong

Padi
Pirate

Post by Padi » 05-22-2002 06:20 PM

LOL Ninerism! London used to get bad smog in the 50's but this one time hundreds died in a terrible smog and they passed a clean air act and now London is much cleaner! Maybe thats what it will take to clean up LA!?! Hopefully not. Well i'm trying to get the rain over to you but its pretty hard to shift! we're expecting a storm on Friday - you can gladly have that!

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 05-26-2002 01:59 PM

Padi: Hi! Oh, I remember those reports. Now here in Los Angeles, and the growing mini- metropolis of Las Vegas, Nevada, too, the smog gets pretty bad, still. In Las Vegas it can be worse, especially when those huge dust storms rise and mix in with the smog that settles in that valley. We are trying to implement more smog-controls on our cars, but the smoke-belching buses and trucks still are allowed to stink-up the place a lot, so Los Angeles is kinda like Lost Angels, at times, too.

A friend of a friend has a former love of his residing in Devon shire in the United Kingdom. A little town along a country road, with only a post office to make claim of its existence. She bought a cottage, quite old, on Rectory Road, Dolton Wingleigh.... and the place has no address, just the name of the cottage! Unbelievable to find that sort of solace and privacy in this World, today. It's called Barfield's Cottage, or something like that? Just a wee bit of a town. We recently checked out -- a few days ago -- a map of the area of county of Devon, but could not even find the road on computer search!

Ninerism

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 05-26-2002 03:47 PM

Hi,Padi and welcome aboard.

The weather her has been very freakish. The temperatures have been varying between 85-28 degrees F within the last few weeks. I have both my foot warmer and my room fans out together, because I never know which one I'll need.

The description of that little cottage somewhere in Devon, brought back memories. My longest business trip to England included a seminar in an estate owned by the company I was working for at the time. It was lovely and the small village was very peaceful with beautiful gardens before each of the few cottages clustered about the road. Wish I could remember the name of where I was. I tried to find it on a map, but couldn't.

Have a happy bank holiday tomorrow! Image

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”