How Wall Street’s Bankers Stayed Out of Jail

For non-partisan discussion ONLY. This policy will be strictly moderated and enforced. For those with eyes wide open, visionaries, lunatics, humorists (definitely!)

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

How Wall Street’s Bankers Stayed Out of Jail

Post by Riddick » 08-16-2015 07:10 PM

The probes into bank fraud leading up to the financial industry’s crash have been quietly closed. Is this justice? FULL STORY

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-17-2015 04:32 PM

Are you surprised Riddick? The Democrats are no better than the GOP, despite the Far Left's rhetoric to the contrary, on dealing with financial fraud. I fact, I'd say that the were worse since THIS (allegedly) is one of their stated reasons for existing in the first place.

Saw a story on some channel this morning about how poorly the Obama administration has done on the issue of race relations. Recalling that Obama was swept into power on the black and Hispanic vote, it is possible that, given the Democrats poor record on creating jobs (especially in the black community where unemployment stills hovers around 25-27%), the reported noted hat these two groups just may not vote in such large number this go-'round.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-17-2015 04:57 PM

Blacks and hispanics aren't alone, as finding sustainable work is still an issue among many in the 99%. Meanwhile the One Percenters who helped precipitate the financial meltdown keep their jobs AND their fat bonuses.

Who says there's no justice, eh? Criminal schulbs go to jail - Banksters get the "Gold Standard"!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-17-2015 07:44 PM

Yes, and we also seem to be taking more steps backwards regarding our severely tilted judicial system......

In modern-day debtors' prisons, courts team with private sector

For teenager Kevin Thompson, a traffic ticket ended up costing him not only his driver's license, but also his freedom.

In his account of the experience, Thompson says he was ordered to pay $810 in fines by Georgia's DeKalb Recorders Court, an amount that was out of reach for the low-income auto shop and tow truck worker. Instead of working with Thompson to find another way to pay, such as through community service, the court handed off Thompson to a for-profit probation company called Judicial Correction Services (JCS). JCS told Thompson he had 30 days to pay the fine, but also gave him erroneous legal information, such as overestimating the cost of a public defender.

Thompson notes that the court later took up a JCS officer's recommendation to incarcerate him, resulting in a five-day stint in jail for failing to pay the fine.

Thompson, whose case was represented by the American Civil Liberties Union, is just one of the poor Americans ending up in a modern-day version of the debtors' prison, an antiquated punishment that was eliminated by the U.S. in the 1830s. A rash of new cases are coming to light as municipal courts increasingly outsource probation to for-profit companies like JCS, which make their money by tacking on their own fees to traffic violations. They typically don't charge the courts or municipalities for their services.

"Since 2009, we have been hearing increasing reports that people are being jailed for a failure to pay fines and fees," Nusrat Choudhury, staff attorney in the ACLU Racial Justice Program, told CBS MoneyWatch. "We've observed that for-profit corrections companies are proliferating. They offer what appears to be a win-win to local governments because they offer to generate revenue from people who are too poor to pay on probation day."

Thirteen states rely on for-profit probation companies such as JCS, Choudhury said. It's difficult to get a sense if the municipalities that hire for-profit probation companies are poorer or in deeper financial straits because they are scattered across the country, she added. What's clear, however, is that Thompson's case isn't an anomaly.

More than 1,000 courts using private companies sentence hundreds of thousands of Americans to probation each year, according to a report published last year by the Human Rights Watch, which called the trend an "offender-funded" model of privatized probation. In Georgia alone, 30 probation companies are working in more than 600 courts throughout the state, allowing them to collect almost $100 million in fines, court costs and restitution for those courts, and collections in 2012, the report noted.

Although these companies often provide a needed service, there are a range of potential pitfalls, especially as more towns and counties turn to for-profit models. For one, jailing people for being unable to pay court fines violates a U.S. Supreme Court ruling from 1983 that prohibits imprisoning people who are too poor to pay their legal debts. Judges must first consider a person's ability to pay a fine, the efforts to acquire the money and alternatives to incarceration.

Because for-profit probation companies tack on their own fees to the original municipal fines, that adds to the hurdles that people must jump over to try to erase the debt.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-rise-of ... r-prisons/
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-18-2015 04:23 PM

kbot wrote: Saw a story on some channel this morning about how poorly the Obama administration has done on the issue of race relations. Recalling that Obama was swept into power on the black and Hispanic vote, it is possible that, given the Democrats poor record on creating jobs (especially in the black community where unemployment stills hovers around 25-27%), the reported noted hat these two groups just may not vote in such large number this go-'round.
So, blacks and Hispanics may not be hot to vote in '16, but it could be worse than that - Note to Democratic candidates: Don't compare the plight of illegal immigrants to slavery or you're liable to get an earful from an irate black female constituent.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... al-aliens/

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-18-2015 06:16 PM

I personally feel that all of this is just more actions by TPTB to divide us all.

I saw something on one of the talk shows recently an the speaker noted that it is only the Democrats (and, he may have been overstating this, but its noteworthy anyway) that consciously classify people by........ (pick one), race (black, Hispanic), gender (female, male, other), income (poor, middle-class, rich).

Not to say that the GOP is any better, but the Democrats have for decades now been labeling and making victims out of what they see in their political view as various groups of victims - all "needing" government (the Left's) help and guidance.

Maybe it's me.......

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate
Location: SW IN USA-UK Midlands SCANIAowner @ Sound Cloud - @ Supernaturalearth

Re: July 4, 2016!

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 07-04-2016 04:06 AM

kbot wrote:I personally feel that all of this is just more actions by TPTB to divide us all.

I saw something on one of the talk shows recently an the speaker noted that it is only the Democrats (and, he may have been overstating this, but its noteworthy anyway) that consciously classify people by........ (pick one), race (black, Hispanic), gender (female, male, other), income (poor, middle-class, rich).

Not to say that the GOP is any better, but the Democrats have for decades now been labeling and making victims out of what they see in their political view as various groups of victims - all "needing" government (the Left's) help and guidance.

Maybe it's me.......
Hello Riddick and kbot n all :!: "The needs from government are always out there!" says Captain Obvious. :P

To that we can say today it's all legal American citizen's Dependence Day* July 4, 2016 :!: :oops:

*Some years ago conservative radio talk show host Mark Levin spoke the words "Welcome to America's Dependence Day" nearing our nation's 1st birthday celebration. Following the news about Chief Justice John Roberts' vote to put a tax on Obama Care to help pass it as a law! :confused:

MK II :P
Last edited by Malaria_Kidd II on 07-04-2016 11:55 AM, edited 1 time in total.
[*]@ #2 Find the eerie antedating of 12/7/1941 vs 9/11/01

#1 A

https://youtu.be/DUY8aSx8-yo

#1 B

🌎 🏔 🌏 🗻 🌍 🌋
https://youtu.be/ajRuvYMk30E

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/superna ... -t543.html

voguy
Pirate

Re:

Post by voguy » 07-04-2016 06:54 AM

kbot wrote:I personally feel that all of this is just more actions by TPTB to divide us all.
Parties have long known the power of "them vs us". If you're in for some dry reading, check out books on wars going back to at least 1812. There is a common thread of parties, or groups which form in order to counter another party or group. A fellow by the name of Professor Harold Marcuse (University of California, Santa Barbara), has some interesting writings on "parties" and how they played the people in WW-I and WW-II. Also, note that prior to WW-II how many parties there were leading up to the rise of Hitler. Another historian, Dr. James Ray Deahl cites that many of these parties consolidated, and forced people to "decide" loyalties, thus doing exactly what you say, KBOT.

kbot wrote:Not to say that the GOP is any better, but the Democrats have for decades now been labeling and making victims out of what they see in their political view as various groups of victims - all "needing" government (the Left's) help and guidance.
Both the democrats and republicans have the need to concentrate power in their hands. The methods are the difference. Democrats think that the individual is worthless without government telling them what to do, and regulations for every aspect of life. Republicans think individuals need a corporation or large business to do anything, and regulations are softened yet protect the corporation. In short, democrats make you depend on government, republicans make you depend on corporations. That's why I went libertarian a long time ago. I say f-em both, and I depend on myself for resourcefulness and success.

However, the problem is the average person is comfortable by living off the government, or a corporation. They will gleefully bitch about everything in life while they suck off the gov/corp teet and watch the Kardashians on their smart phone. Life is good as long as you have someone to take care of you. It's when they stop addressing your needs that you have a problem.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Pirates and Skeptics -P&G, etc”