Joe's Quotes

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-11-2013 12:16 AM

Joe had many interesting episodes here, often ideologically clashing with members. I think we all know that one thing Joe really loved was a good heated debate, and passion in using writing and words. He wanted people to get mad, but he was far from a troll, he was trying to inspire people. I had the good fortune to be able to chat with him while he was discovering some of these ideas, and I feel I perhaps was personally responsible for introducing him to some truths that he went on to hold dear. He did the same for me, he taught me about myself, and was pretty near to a father figure to me.

This quote is simply a stitch in time, offensive to some yes, but not meant to offend. He had hard-held beliefs, and he was not going to let them be downplayed or effaced.

A part of me is quite sorry that my recent posts have given offense: after all, I have been here at The Fantastic Forum for almost a decade now, and I have known many of you for quite a long time. I am --- or at least I once was --- a gentlemen, whom Cardinal Newman once defined as "a person who never causes pain." A part of me is quite sad that I am no longer a gentleman, that I am in a total existential situation where being a gentleman would be a mark of insanity.

A deeper part of me, however, realizes that that whole segment of my life is over now, once and for all. I could deal, albeit with great difficulty, with the overt fascism that has been allowed to pass unchecked on this forum for the past four years. But when the Obamabots began to appear here --- and mark my words, it will be disclosed someday that many of these Obamabots (not necessarily the ones here) were intelligence operatives in the service of the Brzezinski wing of the Cryptocracy --- that was that. I left the forum in a cold fury, and later learned that I had been banned from it for a month.

A part of me says that I should have let sleeping dogs lie, that I should have quietly vanished from this board, and that I should not have cultivated even more trouble for myself than I already have. That part still speaks to me. But another, and deeper, part says that the reason why the planet (forget about Amerika, just forget about that terminal mess at this point!), the reason why the planet is in such a hideous disaster-in-waiting was because too many people listened to that voice for too long. And after having been silent for so many decades, albeit out of necessity, I will not be silent any longer. I would rather be totally alone than be silent. Hell, I would rather be dead.

The bridges here are burning, and a part of me is quite sad to see them burn. But the cold, inescapable, fact of the matter is that I am not the person whom I was when I joined The Fantastic Forum in April of 2000 and that my collective reality has little in common with what it was in April of 2000. What was appropriate then for me is not appropriate now. The bridges are burning, alas, but they were old and rotton and ready to fall anyway. And that too is a sad thing to consider.

I guess that just about sums up how I feel and why I bothered to come back at all. A part, a big part, of me on the surface is sad at what has happened in the past 24 hours. But a deeper, now-realer, part of me knows that I needed to say what I said and that it was long overdue to be said. And there it stands with me...
showthread.php?postid=569474#post569474
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 05-11-2013 09:51 AM

A lot of pain in that post.

:(
A man's character is his fate

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-11-2013 05:51 PM

A tortured soul. Joe may have had many people in his life but I think he was a lonely man.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-11-2013 08:51 PM

That's interesting you guys. I get such a different take on Joe, he seems to me like a man that "touched" his own soul. That's more of gift. He actually "thought" about things. :)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

LisaA
Pirate

I remember Joe Quinn!

Post by LisaA » 05-11-2013 10:33 PM

He went from conservative to liberal, always very conscientious and honest.

Maybe after I left he went back. Always so true.
Last edited by LisaA on 05-11-2013 10:36 PM, edited 1 time in total.

LisaA
Pirate

Where did he go?

Post by LisaA » 05-11-2013 10:39 PM

Did we lose him? As a popper-back-in I remember him a lot.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Re: Where did he go?

Post by Raggedyann » 05-11-2013 10:58 PM

LisaA wrote: Did we lose him? As a popper-back-in I remember him a lot.

Joe passed away a few years ago.
Last edited by Raggedyann on 05-12-2013 12:05 AM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 05-12-2013 10:21 AM

Raggedyann wrote: A tortured soul. Joe may have had many people in his life but I think he was a lonely man.

Always has been my impression as well.

diep
Pirate

Post by diep » 10-07-2013 06:01 AM

I've been away myself for some years but noticed just this thread upon my return. Joe happened to be a member on another forum I frequented in 2002 and apart from having exchanges with him I have archived some if not all of this 63 posts but I have it not available for the public somewhere so you'll have to just believe me or just evaluate the content. Which indeed was interesting! Here's one example:
Thank you for your kind remarks but please do not call me "Mr. Quinn." Mr. Quinn, if he existed, would be a mature and respectable individual who occupies an appropriately powerful position within the established social order for which he is entitled to a certain amount of public deference. I, however, am your brother Joe, and if you read my posts with great attention, you will learn, quite quickly, that I am a wild and wicked old man who is constantly inciting the young to acts of resistence to the established order and who constitutes a clear and present danger to its social authority. I earnestly hope that, by the time that I am 70 years old, I am just as much a problem to my society as Socrates was to his. But I'll be damned if I die quietly with a cup of hemlock in my hand.... :D

Once again, thank you ever so much for your kind words!

Your Brother Joe Quinn

*** In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer. (Albert Camus) ***
Originally posted: 8/16/02 7:11:22 pm
Last edited by diep on 10-07-2013 06:05 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 10-07-2013 10:46 AM

Thank you for sharing, Diep. Welcome to FF, hope to hear more from you.:)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 03-26-2014 10:30 PM

Great post Diep! Pure Joe -- how did I miss it?? :D

The "cup of hemlock" line is a strange one, all things considered.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 03-27-2014 10:46 AM

Squid,

How did I miss this as well - love the reference to Socrates.;)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-27-2014 10:57 AM

Thanks diep.

If you wanted to make Joe's posts accessible to people I would be happy to host them here. Just let me know.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

diep
Pirate

Post by diep » 03-28-2014 10:46 AM

You're welcome! I could re-post them here of course too or did you have another option in mind? There are in my backup probably at most a few dozen worth considering, if I recall correctly. But they are really still worthwhile reads even with so much clever things being said these days everywhere you look on the Net. :-)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-28-2014 10:47 AM

Posting them here would be perfect if you would... we will preserve them.

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”