Moderator: Super Moderators

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Tea Parties Rage as Taxes Hit Lowest Level Since 1950

Post by Rombaldi » 05-11-2010 06:52 PM

http://crooksandliars.com/jon-perr/taxe ... since-1950

Tea Parties Rage as Taxes Hit Lowest Level Since 1950

By Jon Perr Tuesday May 11, 2010 2:30pm

For almost a year and a half, furious Tea Party protesters have been chanting "Taxed Enough Already." But as it turns out, "taxed enough" actually means "at the lowest levels since 1950." That's the word from the Bureau of Economic Analysis, which found that Americans paid the smallest overall tax bill since Harry Truman was in the White House. Of course, that inconvenient truth for Tea Baggers is tied to another: their plummeting payments are due in part to the tax relief delivered by President Obama.

USA Today summed up the BEA data debunking yet another right-wing myth: Federal, state and local taxes -- including income, property, sales and other taxes -- consumed 9.2% of all personal income in 2009, the lowest rate since 1950, the Bureau of Economic Analysis reports. That rate is far below the historic average of 12% for the last half-century. The overall tax burden hit bottom in December at 8.8% of income before rising slightly in the first three months of 2010.

"The idea that taxes are high right now is pretty much nuts," says Michael Ettlinger, head of economic policy at the liberal Center for American Progress. That conclusion echoed a similar finding from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities last month. CBPP found. Middle-income Americans are now paying federal taxes at or near historically low levels, according to the latest available data. That's true whether it comes to their federal income taxes or their total federal taxes.

Several factors are fueling the reduced tax bill. For starters...

(more at link)

------------------------------------

Never let facts and the truth stand in the way of the foolish, the easily brainwashed and blatant liars
Last edited by Rombaldi on 05-11-2010 06:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-11-2010 09:54 PM

From what I can tell, Tea Partiers DON'T read... they only listen to FOX and Rush. Now there are truly educated scholars from whom to get your daily dose of stupid!
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Linnea

Summary of Missing Posts...

Post by Linnea » 05-14-2010 01:10 PM

Kaztronic
Pirate

One has to have their head completely buried in the sand (or are putting partisan considerations ahead of reality - as I suspect is the case here) to not see the tax increases that must come down the road as a result of our grossly expanding debt load and deficits.

On this issue, the Tea-Party movement is quite correct - perhaps by default - as it is in many instances probably fair to say that the opposition is fueled by partisan considerations (despite minimal claims of protest of the earlier Bush Administration by some Tea Party members on this same issue).

The reality quite obviously is that the typical Republican mantra of lower taxes is not going to work this time, and the Democrats are showing no signs of having any real concerns about a deficit or national debt tipping point - nor do I suspect that the Dems have the political guts to make the cuts needed to prevent our crossing over said tipping point.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone else has noticed this where they live, but my taxes in NY didn't raise all that much this year - but the amount I've been charged in fees to the government sure as hell did. As far as I am concerned, these fees are taxes - nothing else.

Last edited by Kaztronic on 05-12-2010 at 09:03 PM

Old Post 05-12-2010 08:56 PM

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Taxes have gone up - guess the article ignored the increased taxes on utilities which went up and new ones added in 2009. Guess it also overlooked property owners who assessed values went down, but taxes didn't.

Go figure for every article you can find saying one thing - you will find that reality doesn't quite support it.

Old Post 05-13-2010 07:43 AM

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

quote:Originally posted by Bobbi Snow
From what I can tell, Tea Partiers DON'T read... they only listen to FOX and Rush. Now there are truly educated scholars from whom to get your daily dose of stupid!

quote:Originally posted by Cherry Kelly
Taxes have gone up -

Once again, Bobbie nails it and the foolish prove her right....

Old Post 05-13-2010 07:56 AM

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

ROM you are good for a chuckle or two or three -

Old Post 05-13-2010 01:45 PM

Cynthia Lynn
Pirate

quote:Originally posted by Bobbi Snow

You're right.

Many people today don't bother to read good investigative reporting by reputable news sources.

If one listens only to talk radio and watches FOX (or any other media outlet, for that matter) one is doomed to believe the misinformation and disinformation out there.

Even worse, if one only listens to/reads those who reinforce one's preconceived views, one is doomed to become/remain close-minded and intolerant.

But, back to the thread topic.

This is from a non-partisan center (http://www.cbpp.org/about/)

Federal Income Taxes on Middle-Income Families at Historically Low Levels
By Chuck Marr and Gillian Brunet
April 14, 2010

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?f...151&emailView=1

All I will say is that Libertarian government haters like Grover Norquist (See his site here: http://www.atr.org/# and SourceWatch on him here: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.ph...Grover_Norquist ) and those who protect the wealthy are doing their job well.

Why do people think they have to pay Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck and others millions of dollars to convince people to vote against their own best interests??

It's a no-brainer.

Personally, I never had a problem (even as a struggling schoolteacher) paying my fair share of taxes because I want a government that works for all!

Old Post 05-13-2010 04:44 PM

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 05-16-2010 01:06 PM

I was watching MTP last week there was a real great line on it. To paraphrase it, tax money is your enemy untill you need a friend. He so correct, everybody says stay out of my business, until an oil spill hits, or natural disaster, or some bad food gets into the system. The thing is most of the people complain about tax money are Repub, but time and time again show the most Repub locations get a lot more tax money brought into there location than they give out.

There is very few times that tax money actualy went on par with spending. Clinton came close but even him there is talked he did "tricky math" to get there. The problem about the tax talk these days it's all about grandstanding, Repub/tea party never talk about something they take and say "Okay willing to cut that". It's all the other stuff around it that really makes no difference in the overall picture. A real funny moment during the Prez debate and they were talking about spending and McCain mentioned his Dem counterpart signed off on spending for telescopes that were expensive. I find that sort of talk to be really pointless, it like I said grandstanding. The cuts they make isn't going to amount to a hill of beans if we continue pouring in money that is actually is taking most of the funds.

It's kind of like you have a cable package that's a couple of hundred dollars a month and have hundreds of channels (most you don't even watch), it's starting to go over your family budget, what do you do. Cancel the TV Guide subscription that costs a couple of bucks a week? Cutting that out isn't really going to help the overall problem.

When I hear most Repub talk about spending cuts, they always say we need to cut spending.... of course excluding this this and this. The "this" they mention is the stuff that we are paying most for. There is never any asking for overall sacrifice to the overall people. That is really the only way you will ever match spending with the tax money you get, and you'll never get that with Repub (be it classic repub or tea party repub) Not sure if the Dems will ever to be able to do it, but at least on that side there is a bit of understanding that you need some sort of tax intake to do the stuff you want, and not sure if HCR will work or not. But at least in plan form it is trying to lower overall cost in the long run even if spending goes up for recent times. Which is something I don't hear in any Repub idea about cutting around the edges but nothing to do with cutting overall spending
Last edited by OMG on 05-16-2010 02:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-16-2010 02:11 PM

The Tea Baggers are fascists, genetically predestined fascists. To witness their equal, one would have to go back to the Nazi Party rallies in Weimar Germany during the 1920s. Not the 1930s, mind you, but the 1920s (i.e. before Nazism took over Germany).

Political, social and economic considerations do not, CANNOT, explain this phenomenon. The explanations, I tell you, are biological and genetic. Seriously...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-16-2010 03:28 PM

Joe, it's like there's also a gene to cause one family member to become a staunch opposite (politically) of everyone else, another gene that predisposes a family to be staunchly religious, and one member from early childhood doesn't buy it and never will, and still different genes that determine if a family member will be gay or bisexual... It's somehow just how the genome shakes out in the mix.

Some people think these differences are triggered by foods or drinks or water, because each individual processes the same ingredients slightly differently from the others.

Personally, I think I ate too many "mud pies" when I was a kid, and my brother didn't eat any...:rolleyes:
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-17-2010 01:45 PM

OMG - dunno - heard several gop and independents talking about cutting at the top first. Some who have actually implemented it - ok only here and there, but still to claim ALL of either group or any political party - kinda reaching.

Now I will say a lot of little cuts do add up. take that TV guide at $2 week - not much but $104 a year. Now what else can be added? (Besides most cable companies do have a tv guide listing on one of their umpteen hundred channels.)

Okay you cut that $2 a week - but instead put it into some savings with whatever other cuts you can do, soon enough to start making money. Average family types know that cutting even $5-10 a week will add up for later needs.

But you are talking political parties and I say they are ALL guilty.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”