More Evidence that scanners don't work

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 12-02-2010 12:28 PM

I know exactly what you mean about the differences between the Israeli system and what we have going. Israel has nowhere near the volume we do. But, what they do have going for them is over thirty years experience, dating back to the early 70s and the hijackings to Beirut, etc.

I'd look at training of staff. There is a huge disparity between the training of security staff for El Al, as opposed to American TSA personnel.

And, I frankly have no problem with profiling. Honestly, what positives have come out of being politically correct? We profile every day of our lives, whether we care to admit it or not. The profiling performed by the Israelis is not based on skin color, or whether or not one is wearing certain clothing. What the Israelis do, as I understand their system, is to profile behavior. What they have discovered over the years of looking at the issue is that terrorists exhibit certain behavioral traits. So, that would send up some red flags. Also, they scrutinize passports and potential passengers who have had extensive travel in countries known to produce terrorists, or are state sponsors of terrorism, earn more attention than others. I agree, we didn't think about Africa, but we should have. Where's Somalia located? Where's Egypt located, or Algeria? Or Sudan? Even then, even if the inspectors had the mother of all brain farts, we were notified ahead of time by the guy's father......And then there's the isue of boarding a flight with a one-way ticket and no luggage. How much simpler does this have to be before people step back and say "Wait a minute......". And, personally, I don't fly, because it sounds like a nightmare. I haven't flown in ten years now, and to honest, I'm glad because it's simpy not worth it anymore. What's the expression, you're more likely to be struck by lightening or hitting a state lottery, than being a victim of a terrorist attack? Not to belittle the suffering endured by the victims and families, but the government is making this far worse than is necessary. This system could be done much more efficiently, using less resources (monetary as well as personnel) if the organization running the show were serious - and I don't think they are. We have a model with a 30-40 year track record of success that is being ignored, either due to willful ignorance, or an outright refusal to use that better mousetrap. OK, try this, look at the history of the security of El Al, and compare their track record with the US government's since 9-11. Even with the government frisking eveyone, they are still letting the terrorists through. What has saved us was the ineptitude of the terrorists. Usually the bomb just didn't work. But, they already defeated the security (such as it is) system in place and boarded the plane. These people boarded overseas. Meanwhile, people here are being treated like they are the terrorists.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-03-2010 03:44 PM

Over this past week - more videos have come forth on the 'groping' bit at TSA hands. A lot of atrocities in the name of what? security?

Several scanners have been turned off. We have another holiday coming and people will be traveling across the USA (well provided airports are open - weather thing) so we will see another rise in 'complaints' or in TSA changing their methods for all these 'security checks'.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 04-25-2015 02:30 PM

Report: Researchers Spoof TSA Airport Scanners
Plenty of naughty bits were revealed by the full-body scanners, just not the naughty bits they were supposed to be detecting to keep the airways safe, Wired reports.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 04-25-2015 04:23 PM

Sad, isn't it? The more they do to try to keep travelers safe, the less efficient the TSA becomes. And let's face it... we now live in an even greater world of lechers and thieves. We fail to pay TSA a good living wage, and don't screen the applicants or train them nearly as well as they should be, but we put them in charge of our luggage and our personal privacy. Makes you wonder is the TSA is worth all the monetary and privacy losses!
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-26-2015 12:10 PM

And let's not forget that the airlines will lose your luggage........ :D
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”