Where is the talk about jobs ?

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Where is the talk about jobs ?

Post by SETIsLady » 12-01-2010 09:45 AM

Ok, I haven't been paying much attention to much of anything regarding politics, frankly because I find it very frustrating. I have read that GOP are going to block everything that isn't related to taxes and government spending.

Has anyone heard anything about what the GOP/DEMs plan on doing about jobs ? Unemployment benefits are running out and there is no plan to renew them. We are discussing big tax cuts for the wealthy and nothing for those that can barely put food on their table.

What is the plan for “we the people” not “we the corporations” ?

Did I miss something ?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 12-01-2010 10:10 AM

2 million lose jobless benefits as holidays loom

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40447966/ns ... _politics/

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-01-2010 11:08 AM

Seti - They are not talking about big tax cuts for the wealthy. They are talking about keeping the tax rates for everyone - no NEW cuts - just as it currently is for at least another two years.

They are also talking about repealing some of the HC situation.

Been trying to catch some of the talk (radio) shows that have been discussing jobs and proposals for more jobs. One of the shows had some corporate people (from jobs sections of these places). It was a panel talk thing (PBS radio). Many said similar - the unknown higher corporate level employee costs. One said that quite bluntly their corporation was highly concerned about super high unemployment monies that would be paid for each employee.

Now I heard that and it did become a question beyond the future of jobs. Most companies in the past paid a certain amount to the unemployment based on 26 weeks. So where is that money to come from for the 99 weeks that were paid out? Or if they add even another month or two? What will that do to overhead corporate costs for the future?

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 12-01-2010 12:53 PM

SETIsLady wrote: 2 million lose jobless benefits as holidays loom

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40447966/ns ... _politics/

Merry Christmas America! :(
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-01-2010 01:08 PM

Proposals were for money to be taken from unspent stimulus and other gov't programs where funds were allocated and not used.

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 12-03-2010 11:36 PM

Exactly Set, that gets me too. Somehow it's totally okay to give tax cuts to the super rich even though it will add to the debt. But my gosh helping the people that is struggling just a bit is a total no go in their mind.

I hear the same people who blame this admin for the jobless rate, but then also blame unemployed people for not being "motivated" enough to get a job and that unemployment benefits take that away. How can it be both?

lazarus long
Pirate

Post by lazarus long » 12-04-2010 01:35 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Seti - They are not talking about big tax cuts for the wealthy. They are talking about keeping the tax rates for everyone - no NEW cuts - just as it currently is for at least another two years.

They are also talking about repealing some of the HC situation.

Been trying to catch some of the talk (radio) shows that have been discussing jobs and proposals for more jobs. One of the shows had some corporate people (from jobs sections of these places). It was a panel talk thing (PBS radio). Many said similar - the unknown higher corporate level employee costs. One said that quite bluntly their corporation was highly concerned about super high unemployment monies that would be paid for each employee.

Now I heard that and it did become a question beyond the future of jobs. Most companies in the past paid a certain amount to the unemployment based on 26 weeks. So where is that money to come from for the 99 weeks that were paid out? Or if they add even another month or two? What will that do to overhead corporate costs for the future?

really?!?!? here's how i expected that interview to go:
"so how's it looking in the corporate world?"
"just fine. we thought that these taxes might be a problem, but we discovered that if we fired a few lower-level workers, we could make up the difference. not only that, but it gives us a reason to hike up the prices. for a while, we thought that we might have a to take a slight hit to our obscene salaries, but now we're doing better than ever, even after taxes."
"aren't you worried about unemployment?"
"worried? why should i be worried? i made 16 million last year. if i get fired tomorrow i'll be in cannes by the end of the day."

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 12-04-2010 02:43 AM

I don't think Republicans are giving a crap about jobs. I've only been a Democrat for a few years, and only because THEIR worries are MY worries. I read both sides, and now the Tea Partiers side are just as uninformed (which seems very sad and lame to me...); as far as I'm concerned, "smaller government"only means that those of us who make less than a million+ a year are IMPORTANT to them. The Democrats seem to be the only ones who care about the "rest of us."

Some Republicans may not feel like the part seems to feel, so if they do. they need to either speak up, or change parties.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 12-04-2010 02:55 AM

The more I read the more I'm convinced that it doesn't matter what party in what country, the politicians are just front men for big business.

"In the interest of the people" lasts until the election is over........
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-04-2010 12:11 PM

Laz - from what I was hearing - these were not the giant corporations but ones with less than 1k employees. So smaller type corporations. They also had smaller business people too with 2-300 employees. They were very concerned about overhead costs. At least the few that I caught.

====
When I read about all the billions of stimulus dollars that went to foreign banks - from this administration - I get PO'd. This money would have gone a long ways in helping people here in the US.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-04-2010 12:19 PM

Seti - ya posted the jobless bit in wrong group - but why not bring it up here as well. WHY didn't the Dems - who controlled both house and senate - do the jobless unemployment extension before they took off for Thanksgiving break?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 12-04-2010 12:29 PM

But where is the talk about job creation ? This is my point. The Bush tax cuts didn't do anything for job creation the huge job loss started under him. Tax cuts are not going to bring jobs back here to the US.

I have seen one Manufacturing bill signed and that was in August, in an attempt to bring manufacturing jobs back.

People hire based on demand not on tax breaks. So what are the PTB going to do to simulate job creation ? We are a nation of consumers, how do we compete with overseas wages ? What do we do to entice business back to the US ?

And when is this going to be addressed in DC ?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 12-04-2010 12:34 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Seti - ya posted the jobless bit in wrong group - but why not bring it up here as well. WHY didn't the Dems - who controlled both house and senate - do the jobless unemployment extension before they took off for Thanksgiving break?
Don't know CK, haven't taken the time to look it up. When it comes to unemployment I don't care what party it is its not a Dem/Rep issue they are BOTH there to represent the people. I am sure those that are losing the little silver of money to put food on the table don't care why its wasn't done, they just expect it to be done.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 12-04-2010 02:42 PM

megman wrote: The more I read the more I'm convinced that it doesn't matter what party in what country, the politicians are just front men for big business.

"In the interest of the people" lasts until the election is over........

Bingo, could not agree more. The Republicans and Democrats really aren't that different when it comes to the actual policies that become law in the end. The only differences are the rhetoric, and in the supporters (who often seem to view politics as a team sport) - the results are much the same, the team owners (big business) make out like bandits.

This administration was supposed to be different, which makes it all the more disappointing considering the passion and hopes that brought about it's rise to power.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 12-04-2010 02:45 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-04-2010 03:14 PM

We could go back to NAFTA - repeal it. We could start charging tariff monies on all goods mfg overseas being done by former USA mfgs. (You know the ones the corporations moved overseas following NAFTA).

==
Now as to jobs - US stats say unemployment was what oh 5-6% max under prior administration - now what 10%? ---
==

Look the Dems controlled House and Senate (prior to election) they knew full well that unemployment was running out for many in Dec. They COULD have pushed through an extension - at least through winter. They didn't. One has to wonder why they didn't.
They could have done whatever they wanted about the tax bit - but they didn't - why? politics.
AND both parties are guilty of the blame game - don't do it and blame the others for it not getting done.
---

As for jobs YES we need jobs - more jobs for people all across the USA. Real jobs, not shovel ready make a few weeks work and call it creating jobs.

People have skills - market them. Work for yourself and do the jobs you can do. Look around your neighborhood or city - see what needs to be done. Offer services at whatever rate you can get - and go to work. OK not the big bucks one might be used to getting, but its a start. (OK its winter - northern states and others have weather problems.)

I wish we all had some answers and suggestions. I have a feeling it will be up to us - you reading this - and the people to create jobs.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”