John B. Wells

Discussion of the Caravan To Midnight radio program with host John B. Wells

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-15-2013 07:31 PM

Would you believe our MIA crewmate VOGuy commented on a pic shared by John B. Wells on Facebook? -
  • Frederick Vobbe The founders were correct in their design. Those wanting to modify the system are incorrect, or "flawed".
    May 16 at 10:13am
And now for what's coming up on tonight's show...

Saturday June 15, 2013
Hosted by John B. Wells
Guest(s): Joseph R. Banister, Malcolm Out Loud

Former IRS Special Agent Joe Banister joins John B. Wells to discuss the recent IRS scandal, and why he's spoken out against the fraudulent administration and enforcement of the federal income tax ever since being fired after confronting top IRS officials. In the first hour, political commentator Malcolm Out Loud will react to the NSA spying revelations.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-21-2013 10:03 PM

Sure miss that Frederick Vobbe and completely missed this post initially.

What an idiotic and transparent (finally) comment by the current resident of the WH.

Back on John B sounds like another good show tonite and I had a Venti Starbucks today at 5 so I am certain I will hear the entire show.:D
A man's character is his fate

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-22-2013 12:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diogenes
Sure miss that Frederick Vobbe and completely missed this post initially.

What an idiotic and transparent (finally) comment by the current resident of the WH.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-22-2013 10:20 AM

We should all beware of those who change laws and modify the Constitution because they are inconvenient for the moment or challenge their thought processes. It also goes without saying that when we give up our rights to be calmed by the promise of security, then we have signed the contract with the devil.

KBOT asked about the journalists. This is a function of what started with the Telecommunications Act of 1996, whereby only those with lots of money and connections within government have the ability to report. In newsrooms we've seen big changes from shoe-leather on the sidewalk to sitting at desks feeding from press releases. I know of very little news agencies doing investigative reporting, other than newspapers which still has the ethics for some journalistic quality. TV has been dumbed down significantly. Radio news is non-existent except for "token" programs to let them say they are doing something.

What is the biggest threat these days are the large web site news feeds which, as you might expect, are controlled by the owners, (such as Google). And one should never think that these large news aggregates do not have some deal with government. In the early days of the Internet it was like the wild west, but today there is control, and one can be silenced in a moments time. If Google, Yahoo, or any web site were to suddenly become anti government or publish Snowden's documents, their connections would go down fast, real fast. The biggest challenge to oppression is the social media circles, such as Facebook and others. They remain open for the moment, but there has been speculation on their use. For example, a post I read suggested that someone's postings could, and would be used against them in a court of law. Ergo; if you cross someone in government, and you have posted a lot of anti-government things, then the prosecutor could demonstrate the threat under the Patriot Act and have you "detained".

In short, we stand within a hair's distance of transcending from a democracy to a ruled regime. I, for one, hope that someday my countrymen realize that they are not ruled by kind and compassionate leaders, but by elite that live off us. There is very little between us now, and our country in 1772. Maybe in a few years we will follow the same course.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-22-2013 11:43 AM

VO, first I haven't even read your post but I like it already - so pleased you are back - I will now behave myself in a proper mannner and read your long missed missives.

By the way one can see what one Starbucks in a long time can do to an individual - John B was NOT on last night and then when I attempted to edit I screwed that up as well.

Oh well no rest for the elderly.:confused:

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-22-2013 12:25 PM

VOGUY quote:

"It also goes without saying that when we give up our rights to be calmed by the promise of security, then we have signed the contract with the devil."

This is key isn't it. Even if one believes the Patrior Act was/is necessary upon the heels of 911, it is easy to see how our rights to privacy have become severely compromised. The NSA, IRS, and all the rest are subject to human nature which leads down a very slippery slope and no one should be surprised of current events.

I believe we are living in a semi controlled regime and sliding fast to many more limitations and open reversal of major rights and freedoms.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-22-2013 01:09 PM

Good to see Voguy!

:wave:
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-22-2013 01:13 PM

Diogenes wrote: I believe we are living in a semi controlled regime and sliding fast to many more limitations and open reversal of major rights and freedoms.

True. As long as people have their bling and things they are content to not be as vigilant. And it's safe to say there are some who are more than happy to go along with whatever Uncle Sam says as long as they get their stamps and checks.

We are seeing more and more infringement on our rights, from speed & red light cameras which are fixed to catch innocent people ... to the laws in many municipalities that scream "do as I say, and not as I do."

Perhaps the biggest, single example of the treachery of feral government comes in the form of when these wrongs are discovered, that they go after the whistle-blower rather that dealing with the wrong.

A good case in point is what happened in one of our communities. City ordinance says no grass shall be higher that 8". The city has been going after senior citizens and landlords, sometimes measuring in as many as 12 places to find grass higher than 8". Yet, when one town resident shot video of 42 city owned properties with grass in excess of 16", the guy was attacked by the town prosecutor for a half dozen bogus code violations and police were pulling him over for supposed traffic laws infractions.

As a friend of mine would say.... they just need a hug.... around the neck.... with a rope. :)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-22-2013 01:15 PM

Raggedyann wrote: Good to see Voguy!

:wave:

Back at ya gal!

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-22-2013 01:46 PM

voguy wrote: In short, we stand within a hair's distance of transcending from a democracy to a ruled regime. I, for one, hope that someday my countrymen realize that they are not ruled by kind and compassionate leaders, but by elite that live off us. There is very little between us now, and our country in 1772. Maybe in a few years we will follow the same course.

They fought so hard to bring down the iron curtain, then they built one of their own. :(
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-22-2013 07:11 PM

Saturday June 22, 2013
Science-Fiction Phantasmagoria

C2C ventures into deep dark space as John B. Wells opens the Mothership to four highly respected science fiction authors: Larry Niven, Joe Haldeman, Lois McMaster Bujold, and Paul Di Filippo. They'll discuss their relative works, and how sci-fi can help us predict the future, and unlock humanity's potential.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-22-2013 10:57 PM

Ought to be a good show, Larry Niven is the only one that I have read some of his stuff.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 07-01-2013 09:46 PM

Nick Pope conversation rocked! :cool:

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 07-13-2013 10:00 AM

John's interview tonight ought to be very good, with Brad Thor.

I really enjoy Thor's books. He is also nice "eye candy" for a little ole' lady such as myself. :)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 07-13-2013 11:23 AM

Doka,

Thank you for the visual.;)

Return to “John B. Wells Caravan To Midnight”