My artichoke recipe. I didn't forget crazycatlady here it is

Discussions about food. Recipes, reviews, anything!

Moderator: Super Moderators

fabzilla
Pirate

My artichoke recipe. I didn't forget crazycatlady here it is

Post by fabzilla » 06-25-2005 06:42 AM

Pick a day when it is cool, as this recipe will generate a lot of steam and require a good workout to create.

Prepping your chokes, cut away tougher outer leaves, usually a layer and trim stem back to an inch and a half. Be sure to rinse and ‘tap’ out anything residing unbeknownst to you within the artichoke.

Get you a pot of water on to boil to blanch your chokes.

When it is at a full rolling boil, drop your chokes in and let sit for about a minute, then remove, return water to boil then redrop your chokes for about 10 minutes then remove and cool.

Get out your favorite skillet and get hot.

I usually use 2 large green peppers, one large Vidalia onion, 12 Roma tomatoes quartered, 1 pound porcini mushrooms halved, 3 cloves garlic cleaned and chopped, quarter cup fresh chopped oregano, eighth cup fresh chopped basil, 1 pound cooked sliced fennel sausage (can be omitted for you vegetarians replace with teaspoon fennel seed and tablespoon paprika)

Sear veggies and garlic in olive oil adding a shot of balsamic vinegar, remove and place to stock pot or crock pot (I prefer crock potting as it is a lower temp and will require less attention)

De glaze skillet with a good Tuscan Chianti, about a cup or so, and reserve to crock pot then follow by adding the rest of chopped ingredients.

Add two or three cans of a good quality tomato paste and a little water, or a large can of a good puree and add chokes.

There should be enough of a base to entirely cover your artichokes if not add a little more remember a good cup and a half of liquid will come from your veggies before doing this.

Turn on low and occasionally turn over. I usually let this go for at least 8 hours if not more, mainly it is a second day dish in my household as the taste really sets up nicely over night and rewarmed.

Now on to the pasta “replacement” for this dish, you may find it goes well with pasta as a whole if you are not fond of polenta it is all a matter of preference.

Make your polenta, here’s a simple recipe be sure you are ready to do a lot of ‘heavy’ stirring the old forearm will get a decent workout.
Polenta

1 pound or slightly more of coarsely ground corn meal (you want corn meal the consistency of fine to medium-grained sand, not flour)

2 quarts boiling water (have more handy)

A heaping teaspoon of salt

Set the water on the fire in a wide bottomed pot and add the salt. I use an old school copper pot specially for this.
But any good pan will work, just don't cramp it as it may get a little sloppy and you are going to want to be 'comfortable" as you are in for a long stirring adventure.

When it comes to a boil, add the corn meal in a very slow stream (you don't want the pot to stop boiling), stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to keep lumps from forming.

Continue stirring, in the same direction, as the mush thickens, for about a half-hour (the longer you stir the better the polenta will be; the finished polenta should have the consistency of firm mashed potatoes), adding boiling water as necessary.

The polenta is done when it peels easily off the sides of the pot.

Form into a loaf, cover and chill.

(I slice my polenta after chilling and just prior to serving in about half inch pieces and pan fry in olive oil but it is just as good sliced and served cold with this dish.)

Also very good with gnocchi!!

I drizzle the sauce over the polenta and flop a choke on the plate, a small portion of ricotta on the side and a warm piece of crusty Italian bread, and indulge along with a glass of the wine leftover from the beginning and some fresh grated parmesan or Romano.

MMMmmmm.

Very important when prepping and eating artichokes done this way.

How To Eat an Artichoke

Artichoke eating is a hands-on affair and another case in life where the "journey is as important as the destination"...

Pull each leaf off the choke and hold the pointed end between your fingers and drag the leaf between your teeth. Most of the edible portion is on inside bottom 1/3 of the choke leaf.

When you serve artichokes it's nice to put a bowl on the table for the discarded leaves, just like eating crablegs, unless your serving plate is large enough to stack the leaves on the side.

enjoy...

fab

:cool:
Last edited by fabzilla on 06-25-2005 07:32 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Ah drrr drrr drrr

crazycatlady
Pirate

Post by crazycatlady » 06-25-2005 08:08 AM

Thank you so much. That sounds really, really good. It was very kind of you to remember me.

fabzilla
Pirate

Post by fabzilla » 06-25-2005 11:42 AM

crazycatlady wrote: Thank you so much. That sounds really, really good. It was very kind of you to remember me.

:D

I don't forget...

Forgot to say a half dozen chokes goes into this batch.

Serves 4 good eaters.

With a good salad.

fab

:cool:
Ah drrr drrr drrr

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 06-26-2005 06:06 AM

YUM!
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-26-2005 10:25 AM

sounds good!!

Now I gotta dig out my zuccinni recipes as they will be ready in a week - along with the yellow squash --

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-10-2015 08:32 AM

This sounds awesome, am moving this thread to new food deck.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Return to “Food”