Britain is stunned !!!!

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 11-04-2004 12:33 PM

joequinn Instead of feeling stunned, Great Britain should being gearing up for the electoral fight of ITS life.
Some truth in that Joequinn fortunately we have little effect on the world unlike America. I have no illusions that Blair will be re elected. After all we have no one other to vote in at this time. That’s why Blair will call an early election.
Devastated The Brits still have Tony, and our electing Kerry wouldn't have affected the bloody "partnership."
Actually Devastated Tony Blair turned down a medal from the White House because he did not want to sway the election towards Bush. Why because No.10 wanted Kerry to win now work that one out.

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 11-04-2004 12:37 PM

smadewell thanks i have not read the papers 2day too depressing
PS this about sums up Britain i like the picture.

smadewell
Pirate

Post by smadewell » 11-04-2004 12:44 PM

Alien_UK wrote: smadewell thanks i have not read the papers 2day too depressing
PS this about sums up Britain i like the picture.

I was stationed in England (RAF Greenham Common & RAF Welford) for 3 1/2 years.... Love the country.... Would move there if I could afford it, but that's a pipe dream. I'd probably become a member of the Monster Raving Loony Party, if I did. ;) Might not say much for my personal credibility, but ... I have zero use for the PTBs and their minions in government on either side of the pond. ;)
S.Madewell - "If the truth shall kill a man ... let him die!"

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 11-04-2004 12:54 PM

We do have loads of Americans that live here and have made it there home. When I ask them if they would go back and live in the States they say definitely no. I found out as late as last week even Bill Bryson lives here in Yorkshire.

But then "The grass is allways Greener on the other side"

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 11-04-2004 01:05 PM

Hey, alien .... the folks seemed pleased to me:

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 11-04-2004 01:10 PM

Well look at the pictures being shown by the Independent is saying 4 more years of torture and hell and mayhem

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 11-04-2004 01:19 PM

This is a rag paper THE SUN. It is read by every brainless moron in Britain.This does not reflect the thoughts and feelings of Britain just a few brainless dumb morons. Go figure
The Sun Says

A safer place

THE world is a safer place today with George W Bush back in the Oval Office.

His re-election is bad news for terrorists everywhere.

They know President Bush means it when he vows to root out terrorism wherever it exists.

John Kerry was weak on terrorism and weak on Iraq.

His one moment of strength came when he conceded defeat with dignity instead of demanding recounts.

America voted decisively for Bush.

On a huge turnout of 120million, the President won by the biggest popular vote in American history.

The verdict is another great vote of support for the leaders fighting the War On Terror — and for the troops on the ground in Iraq.

Last month Australians re-elected John Howard as Prime Minister.

Next year, Tony Blair will go to the polls with renewed confidence.

Bush now has the chance to make his Presidency one of the greats.

His Republican Party controls Washington, and he knows he has America solidly behind him as he confronts the murderous enemies of democracy.

A strong leader in the Oval Office strengthens the rest of the free world too.

British Media very good link

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 11-04-2004 01:34 PM

Kenny_D_Rogers wrote: The only positive thing I said about this election this morning was as follows...

Me-"Hey, is Wisconsin a Blue state or Red State?"

Other person-"Blue"

Me-"Thank God."

I understand THIS feeling. I was devastated (literally knocked over) when West Virginia was projected RED, only 30 mins after the polls closed, with less than 5% of the vote counted ... hmmmm.

I worked on this campaign in WV, and things just don't add up. But my fellow hillbillies are what they are ... Ugh.

Cindy

p.s. Kenny, it sure is nice to hear from a Wisconsin fan of BLUE ... the FReepers were working hard on you folks .... GOOD ON YOU, for winning that battle!
Last edited by CindyLouWho on 11-04-2004 01:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 11-04-2004 01:53 PM

BenSlain wrote: This is getting ridiculous. You know your in dread city when Joequinns post is the most cheerful one on the whole thread.

tsk tsk

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 11-04-2004 02:06 PM

Alien_UK wrote: Ok I listened to LBC talk last night. First as a nation Britain is in shock and dismay regards Bush being re elected.

The main points where.

1: Bill Clinton was impeached for a silly lie regards his sexual habits. Bush lies to the nation and sends them to war on a lie and his re elected. This is very hard for the British people to get there heads around.

2: The Hispanic in Florida where given citizenship if they where illegally there. For which they where asked and promised to vote for Bush. It looks like that worked very well indeed for Bush.

3: And most importantly, the BIN LADEN tape being sent just days before voting began is seen here as a white house stunt. Britain says sending the tape out just days before the votes, but the fear of god into the American people and that alone brought out people in record numbers to vote Bush back in.

All in all the next 4 years is going to be far more dangerous than the last 4.

4: The American people are now (as far as British people are concerned) held responsible for the actions of Bush as you overwhelming voted him back in. I remember 1 guy that phoned in last night, saying “if an American stops me on the street for help. I will ask if they voted for Bush. If they say they did they will get no help from me. (This is usually Americans asking for directions)

And lastly we know only too well that this election effects all of us in Britain not just America. And that is why most British people are in deep shock. Yes there are those that support Bush but thank God they are far and few between.

I thank you kindly Pirates for your comments in this thread, and others, it’s good to know that some of you Americans are in the same camp as the British people.

This is the last from me on this subject as its time to move on (some how) to dwell on this travesty is not good for my sanity:(

Alien_UK, well, almost all you stated, ditto here. However, therer was hardly what one could call a 'MANDATE OF THE PEOPLE', since millions of American citizens did not vote for Bush, and the margin by which Bush won (if that truly be the case?!) was not much at all. As Kerry told Bush when he called him to congratulate him, Kerry reminded Bush that the NATION IS DIVIDED! Even Bush echoed that,if only to be polite.

The fact remains: BUSH DIVIDED AND POLARIZED the United States more than the entire long American war in Vietnam. The fact remains, as long as the neo-cons and the christian fundies are controlling things the nation REMAINS DIVIDED, and there will be many protests, we can be certain of that much. No, as Kerry reminded all of us, the fight is hardly over.

Ninerism

swimmbadd
Pirate

Post by swimmbadd » 11-04-2004 02:32 PM

GOD HELP AMERICA

Nov 4 2004
THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN..

THEY say that in life you get what you deserve. Well, today America has deservedly got a lawless cowboy to lead them further into carnage and isolation and the unreserved contempt of most of the rest of the world.

This once-great country has pulled up its drawbridge for another four years and stuck a finger up to the billions of us forced to share the same air. And in doing so, it has shown itself to be a fearful, backward-looking and very small nation.

This should have been the day when Americans finally answered their critics by raising their eyes from their own sidewalks and looking outward towards the rest of humanity.

And for a few hours early yesterday, when the exit polls predicted a John Kerry victory, it seemed they had.

But then the horrible, inevitable truth hit home. They had somehow managed to re-elect the most devious, blinkered and reckless leader ever put before them. The Yellow Rogue of Texas.

A self-serving, dim-witted, draft-dodging, gung-ho little rich boy, whose idea of courage is to yell: "I feel good," as he unleashes an awesome fury which slaughters 100,000 innocents for no other reason than greed and vanity.

A dangerous chameleon, his charming exterior provides cover for a power-crazed clique of Doctor Strangeloves whose goal is to increase America's grip on the world's economies and natural resources.

And in foolishly backing him, Americans have given the go-ahead for more unilateral pre-emptive strikes, more world instability and most probably another 9/11.

Why else do you think bin Laden was so happy to scare them to the polls, then made no attempt to scupper the outcome?

There's only one headline in town today, folks: "It Was Osama Wot Won It."

And soon he'll expect pay-back. Well, he can't allow Bush to have his folks whoopin' and a-hollerin' without his own getting a share of the fun, can he?

more...

Been checking to see what the rest of the wporld thinks. It's been interesting.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lord Moon
Pirate

Post by Lord Moon » 11-04-2004 02:43 PM

It is good to know that there are some American's who understand what this means for the world and for America...

I am also in shock, and feel as if I am in mourning waiting for the other shoe to drop...

I also believe that this election was stolen, a shame and fixed from the beginning..

America is not a nation of literate people, if we were this would have never happened...

swimmbadd
Pirate

Post by swimmbadd » 11-04-2004 03:05 PM

Moon, one of the main reasons I wanted Kerry to win is it would have hellp to restore some of the respect that was lost due to Bush.

As for the election being stolen, I've thought about that and how easy it would be seeing there is no hard copy of votes. But honestly just don't know and it will be quite some time before we really do know if we ever do.

BTW The price of oil is rising and the dollar falling against the EUR due to... well, you know.

Here's more world opinion from salon.com from AP

Nov. 4, 2004 | London -- The re-election of President Bush dominated British newspapers Thursday, and many cast impartiality aside in reporting the result.

"How can 59,054,087 people be so DUMB?" the liberal Daily Mirror asked in a Page One headline. Inside, several pages of coverage were headed "U.S. election disaster."

The Independent bore the front-page headline "Four more years" on a black page with grim pictures including a hooded Iraqi prisoner and an orange-clad detainee at Guantanamo Bay.

The left-leaning Guardian led its features section with a black page bearing the tiny words, "Oh, God." Inside a story described how Bush's victory "catapaulted liberal Britain into collective depression."

Across Europe, many newspapers expressed dismay at the prospect of another term for Bush, a president often regarded as inflexible and unilateralist.

"Oops -- they did it again," Germany's left-leaning Tageszeitung newspaper said in a front-page English headline. The cover of the Swiss newsmagazine Facts called Bush's re-election "Europe's Nightmare." "Victory for the hothead: how far will he go?" asked another Swiss weekly, L'Hebdo.

A few British papers welcomed the U.S. election result. "The world is a safer place with George W. Bush back in the Oval Office," the tabloid Sun said in an editorial.

All agreed the result reflected a sea-change in U.S. politics, a victory for neo-conservatives and the religious right.

"March of the Moral Majority" said the conservative Daily Mail, above a photo of Bush with his wife and daughters. "America's moral majority sweeps Bush back into the White House," The Daily Telegraph said.

The Times said Europe "must come to terms, not only with Mr. Bush, but with the nation that has elected him. This is a president who really can speak for America."

~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT: Getting conflicting reports on crude prices
Oil: Price below US$50 as downturn resumes
Last edited by swimmbadd on 11-04-2004 03:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Kenny_D_Rogers
Pirate

Post by Kenny_D_Rogers » 11-04-2004 03:50 PM

p.s. Kenny, it sure is nice to hear from a Wisconsin fan of BLUE ... the FReepers were working hard on you folks .... GOOD ON YOU, for winning that battle!
Well, I guess I have to take this time to disapoint you....

I am not democratic either, I just have common sence and logic.

I am also a Libertarian

So no, I didn't support John Kerry.....but I could see how he would be the only choice for those who were not yet disenfranchised with the whole voting system.

I guess I got to get use to people having that little naught smile STILL when they use the word "Bush"...(if you know what I mean) ;)

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 11-04-2004 06:57 PM

No disappontment at all .. I was only remarking that the FReepers who DID support Bush (and not all of them did), were not able to turn your state BLUE. Thats all.

.... I didn't think you were a democrat, you supported Peroutka, right? ...

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”