Overthrow of the American Republic!

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

daboodaddy
Pirate

Post by daboodaddy » 11-14-2004 03:21 PM

http://www.bju.edu/letter

The letter sounds as cracked as any radical fundamentalist Muslim Cleric.

Truly sad days for America.
Last edited by daboodaddy on 11-14-2004 03:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Question EVERYTHING, even your OWN thoughts.
A "Daboodaddyism"

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-14-2004 04:40 PM

BenSlain wrote: Hmmmmm......I agree with 99% of what you said. The only thing is I don't think the religious horde is as big as is being harped on here.

But..99%hmmmmm...wow:)

Ben... I also think that this "religious horde" is not "as big as is being harped on," but some of these harpers are the mainstream media, and this is what they would have us believe. Regardless of how many of them there actually are, it is they who hold the strings to power through the evangelical beliefs (and of this I have NO doubt) of their chosen leader. I know these sort of people. I was sent to their churches as a child, and I lived among them as an adult for over 20 years. They are dangerous, IMO.

John Stuart Mill wrote about the tyranny of the majority (and even if this is actually a minority, if they are perceived as a majority, the effect is the same) in 1859 in On Liberty. I believe his words still ring true today:
Like other tyrannies, the tyranny of the majority was at first, and is still vulgarly, held in dread, chiefly as operating through the acts of the public authorities. But reflecting persons perceived that when society is itself the tyrant—society collectively, over the separate individuals who compose it—its means of tyrannizing are not restricted to the acts which it may do by the hands of its political functionaries. Society can and does execute its own mandates: and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with which it ought not to meddle, it practises a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. Protection, therefore, against the tyranny of the magistrate is not enough: there needs protection also against the tyranny of the prevailing opinion and feeling; against the tendency of society to impose, by other means than civil penalties, its own ideas and practices as rules of conduct on those who dissent from them; to fetter the development, and, if possible, prevent the formation, of any individuality not in harmony with its ways, and compel all characters to fashion themselves upon the model of its own. There is a limit to the legitimate interference of collective opinion with individual independence: and to find that limit, and maintain it against encroachment, is as indispensable to a good condition of human affairs, as protection against political despotism.
The entire work quoted above can be read here: http://www.bartleby.com/130/ It is long, but not that long (38 pages in a Word document with 1" margins), and is well worth reading, IMO.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 11-14-2004 04:51 PM

What am I going to do about the decline and fall of the Amerikan Empire? Not a God-damn thing. My motto for 2005 comes from the Emperor Claudius of those marvellous novels by Robert Graves: "Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out!" Claudius had survived the first century of the Roman Empire, and then, when he realized that nobody really wanted to restore the Roman Republic which he had spent his life trying to resurrect, he made the above statement and then promptly ate the poisoned mushrooms that his second wife, Agrippanilla (the mother of Nero), fed him...

Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out!
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

daboodaddy
Pirate

Post by daboodaddy » 11-14-2004 04:58 PM

While I do not think the Xtian Fundies are the Majority, they are portrayed as such because their Theocratic vision for America is a power-hungry tyrants wetdream.

They have indeed come out of the woodwork, like vermin escaping the vapours of the pest exterminator, and they are great in number. Their agenda is Dominionism, and it is truly evil.

Government is no longer taught in Public Schools. They are ignorant of the Constitution. People simply are not as educated as they were in the recent past.

Ignorance breeds Fundamentalism. The population of the USA is more interested in what star did what to whom, or whether one should pray in public school, than they are concerned with the shredding of the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights.

Remember in Medieval Times known as The Dark Ages, only the Clergy, and the Rulers were allowed to read or write. We as a Nation are devolving to a Theocratic/Corporate Fascist/Feudal State.
Question EVERYTHING, even your OWN thoughts.
A "Daboodaddyism"

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-14-2004 05:13 PM

Well said, daboo. Sadly, I agree.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-17-2012 12:24 PM

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 08-17-2012 11:31 PM

daboodaddy wrote: http://www.bju.edu/letter

The letter sounds as cracked as any radical fundamentalist Muslim Cleric.

Truly sad days for America.
That letter is quite disgusting indeed,here it is!

http://web.archive.org/web/200411130052 ... edu/letter

I wonder what this idiot thought about bush AFTER 9/11??

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-18-2012 04:43 AM

Riddick wrote:

Chilling. Taken together with Dude's post in another thread concerning a Marine arrested by the FBI and brought to a psychiatric facility without being charged- it reminds me of a Solzhenitsyn novel. Only worse.........

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”