FDA FOOLS: Get your poison at every meal! MSG & ASPARTAM

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-21-2006 11:53 AM

Niner -- excellent topic!!

BUT lets not forget "color enhancers" (I believe we talked about those color dyes some yrs back -- red and yellow used to enhance food colors....

Or a few other poisons running around out there that are used ON foods to keep them A) from ripening before they reach store shelves or B) ripening faster because they are picked when "green" (not color but not ripe in this case).

Then we have the imported food from countries that allow poisons (bug killers) that have been declared illegal to USA farmers.

As many know I grow a lot of my own foods - preserved for winter consumption; however, you still can't grow everything and buying some foods at a "health food store" is not always healthy either.

Just use all precautions you can - no matter what the food product may be - check the labels. Wash all fruit and veggies you get from any store or even a farmer's market. Filter that water!

lunacat
Pirate

Post by lunacat » 09-23-2006 12:24 AM

Live365 wrote: Guys, last weekend I bought a loaf of "Italian bread" (the kind you get from the grocery store). Very white, very processed. I didn't eat all of it, so as is my custom, I put the rest out for the birds.

Live, I used to but the french loaf bread at Vons out here...especially when it was still toasty from the oven. The only good part was the crust. I swear the inside is the same dough they use for their doughnuts minus the sugar. That same bland wonder bread texture.

While everyone's mentioning Trader Joe's, that's the only chain I know where you can get decent to fabulous bread that isn't overpriced. Ooh...and the handmade tortillas...I can eat those just plain, they're so good!

lunacat
Pirate

Post by lunacat » 09-23-2006 12:49 AM

Re MSG...About 5 years ago I started noticing I'd get really mentally sluggish after eating stuff with MSG. Not only that, but also gnarly heart palpatations. It felt like when you run or workout, then suddenly stop without a cool-down...

I remember getting that really bad after making matzo ball soup from a package. I checked the ingredients and sure enough, there it was. I thought kosher food was supposed to have health-related standards...:confused:

Hurricane Joanie,

Yeah, I noticed the light frozen meals will have either msg or the msg "alias's" (sp?that looks funny). Yeast extract, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed whey protein (usually found in 'cheezy' stuff. The whole Healthy Choice line of soups and meals is pretty much crap too.

Smokey Robinson, however, makes a pretty decent seafood jambalaya (by frozen standards, anyway:p ). No msg either.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-09-2012 11:49 AM

Good discussion.

Wheat itself should be on our lists of food to avoid. It's been selectively bread to withstand mechanized harvest, and to extend it's growing range. This has resulted in a plant that is over laden with gluten, & essentially unhealthy to eat.

Look for alternative grains or grasses. Amaranth, buckwheat, flax, Indian rice grass, millet, teff, quinoa, rye, and sorghum are some examples. Spelt and kamut are alternative, less selectively bred wheat varietals

One observation I've made regarding food is this: as the production scales, the nutritional value drops. So, finding less popular foods grown on a small scale can often be a great choice, from a nutritional stand point.

This concept can also result in better choices if you are concerned about the implications (in other words, the morality) of supporting operations like factory meat farms. I was raised on a farm, and though my parents were not 'hippies', I was nevertheless taught to treat farm animals with a large degree of kindness & respect. I cannot support, from a nutrition standpoint, or from a 'moral' standpoint, the concept of 'factory farming'.

Yeah, I pay a little more. Yes, I tend to research the farm. And although I'm eating less and less meat as time goes by (mostly due to economic circumstances, and a lack of trust), I go out of my way to buy hunted meat whenever possible. I know these animals lived in appropriate circumstances, were healthy, hormone free, and in most cases were dispatched instantly.

Related: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes ... grains.php

Try kamut flakes (prepared as a hot cereal), with a *little* black strap molasses & blueberries for breakfast - it's really good!
Last edited by SquidInk on 02-09-2012 01:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-09-2012 01:57 PM

Actually, I'm not sure if spelt is a form of wheat - I'll have to go research it...

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 02-09-2012 02:20 PM

EXCELLENT THREAD!

There are more BAD STUFF in food now then ever before (Especially in the US)

ITS GETTING HARD AVOIDING THE CRAP :(

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-23-2012 12:47 AM

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-23-2012 12:15 PM

I just got a water distiller and am making my own pure water :) You would NOT believe what was left in the bottom of it after just one brew.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 02-23-2012 05:26 PM

Fan wrote: I just got a water distiller and am making my own pure water :) You would NOT believe what was left in the bottom of it after just one brew.

It would be interesting to accumulate a weeks worth, and then take the "sediment" to someone for analysis.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-23-2012 05:27 PM

voguy wrote: It would be interesting to accumulate a weeks worth, and then take the "sediment" to someone for analysis.

I will take a pic next time, it is pretty unreal.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 02-23-2012 10:17 PM

I can imagine fan! :(

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”