Garden Time Coming

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 05-08-2014 05:32 PM

Here are some ideas:

http://theaquaponicsource.com/

Open source E-Book

http://theaquaponicsource.com/open-sour ... nics-ebook

And more information:

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/

Grow some fish along with the plants and you fertilize while growing food.

Not doing that here but have a friend who is getting started.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-09-2014 08:42 AM

Yeah aquaponics is a step above my pay grade right now. I live in a place where it is winter for most of the year and my housemate is not that into giant fish tanks downstairs (although the cats are all for it!).
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 05-09-2014 08:54 AM

The only reason I am not into it is the cats. I am sure I'd be 'fishing' them out all the time even if I kept it covered. :D

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-09-2014 09:45 AM

Fan - I do have a sun-room - tomatoes do not do much indoors -- sad to say. I even tried the smaller cherry-type tomatoes - no luck there either. Only hot peppers grew and produced for several months and quit...just grew.

Herbs will do fine, lettuce, spinach, radishes, did fine too. The coriander lasted until early this spring. Parsley and thyme did fantastically, but the basil quit for some reason...after doing fine for over three years. It really is nice to have leaf lettuce in the middle of the winter when store prices are.. outrageously high.

---
We had rain yesterday and last night with some hail - last night around 4 in the morning. Things look okay outside but am glad I brought the seedlings indoors. :)

Due to another storm coming in on Mother's Day will not put anything else outside until next week.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-09-2014 12:18 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Fan - I do have a sun-room - tomatoes do not do much indoors -- sad to say. I even tried the smaller cherry-type tomatoes - no luck there either. Only hot peppers grew and produced for several months and quit...just grew.

Herbs will do fine, lettuce, spinach, radishes, did fine too. The coriander lasted until early this spring. Parsley and thyme did fantastically, but the basil quit for some reason...after doing fine for over three years. It really is nice to have leaf lettuce in the middle of the winter when store prices are.. outrageously high.

---
We had rain yesterday and last night with some hail - last night around 4 in the morning. Things look okay outside but am glad I brought the seedlings indoors. :)

Due to another storm coming in on Mother's Day will not put anything else outside until next week.

I have read about people growing tomatoes under lights, but who knows... guess I need to try. They would be cherry tomatoes...
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-09-2014 01:08 PM

Fan wrote: I have read about people growing tomatoes under lights, but who knows... guess I need to try. They would be cherry tomatoes...
showthread.php?postid=528347#post528347
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-12-2014 11:15 AM

yeah I figure it should work, although obviously yields will be lower than in optimal lighting conditions.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-12-2014 02:49 PM

well as they say have Q-tips handy to pollinate the blossoms - might work..

:)

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 05-12-2014 03:00 PM

As you most likely heard or saw on TV, we had the mother of May storms come in Mothers Day and into today. Started cold with rain changing to snow and 8-inches that stayed over night of the wet heavy stuff.

I was out a couple hours ago as the storm started to let up to clean the cars and deck off and check on garden stuff.

I'm pretty sure the blossoms on the apple, pear and cherry are done and if not tonight's temperatures in the 20's will do them in which means no fruit to speak of this year. I'm pretty sure the leaves will drop since they are not really use to this cold this far along. :(

The greenhouse got down to 38 with no covers over the plants which is OK. I pulled the covers over them since it will be colder tonight and there is not enough solar gain from the just coming out sun to charge the heat storage water containers. Everything should be OK in there and by Wednesday starting back to normal. :)

I haven't looked at the tomatoes under wraps in the garden proper or the other veggies under covers but I suspect the tomatoes are toast. The other veggies are cool loving so may make it just fine. Tomorrow will tell as I will open the covers then and take a peak and let them get some sun.

Really screwy weather this year and I sure hope this winter is over so we get some spring.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-12-2014 03:13 PM

LeslieV wrote: As you most likely heard or saw on TV, we had the mother of May storms come in Mothers Day and into today. Started cold with rain changing to snow and 8-inches that stayed over night of the wet heavy stuff.

I was out a couple hours ago as the storm started to let up to clean the cars and deck off and check on garden stuff.

I'm pretty sure the blossoms on the apple, pear and cherry are done and if not tonight's temperatures in the 20's will do them in which means no fruit to speak of this year. I'm pretty sure the leaves will drop since they are not really use to this cold this far along. :(

The greenhouse got down to 38 with no covers over the plants which is OK. I pulled the covers over them since it will be colder tonight and there is not enough solar gain from the just coming out sun to charge the heat storage water containers. Everything should be OK in there and by Wednesday starting back to normal. :)

I haven't looked at the tomatoes under wraps in the garden proper or the other veggies under covers but I suspect the tomatoes are toast. The other veggies are cool loving so may make it just fine. Tomorrow will tell as I will open the covers then and take a peak and let them get some sun.

Really screwy weather this year and I sure hope this winter is over so we get some spring.
Wow... tough news regarding the fruit trees, LeslieV. :cold:
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-13-2014 10:37 AM

Indeed a bunch of weird weather. Hopefully your plants will recover -- Leslie. Couple years back in time we had a frost that killed off blossoms on the trees and ya - had few apples or pears that year. Sure hope your tomatoes and others survived.

Was rainy here on Monday and cool today - good 15 degrees below normal. Will be until weekend. Glad I did not have my seedlings out yet.

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 05-13-2014 10:56 AM

Looking at the fruit trees it appears they got freeze damage as the leaves are hanging down and are dark so they got froze over night. No fruit for me this year.

I heard on the news that the orchards on the west slope Grand Valley area got damaged as well so CO fruit will be scarce this year.

I haven't opened the tomatoes yet and I still have the big blanket over the stuff in the greenhouse as it is only 35 so I want to wait until it warms a little.

It is to be below freezing again tonight so the tomatoes in the garden and the other veggies under cover will stay covered until tomorrow.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-14-2014 11:34 AM

Leslie -- ya heard about the very cold temps in CO -- sad!!!

I have kept my seedlings in the sun-room and oh ya some are getting rather large and normally at that size they would be out in the garden. CRAZY weather!! (grrrrrr)

warmer temps are on the way -- sooner the better for all us gardening groups!!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-22-2014 10:00 AM

Finally some warmer weather -- putting out seedlings!

Slow work - each row has between 9-10 plants. in the middle of the weed/water paper.

While the weather is decent will get as much out as possible. (supposed to rain)

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 05-22-2014 11:16 AM

Weather is finally starting to look like spring so planting can begin. Seedlings are really getting too big for pots and have replanted in pots once already so time to get them all out.

We are to have severe storms again today with hail and maybe tornados so I think waiting until Friday and into the weekend for planting will be the best.

Still have beds to dig and make ready so that can be done any time I have the time. Just seems like there is not much time lately to do it all.

Return to “Garden & Galley”