FDA going after Organic Farmers

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

FDA going after Organic Farmers

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-23-2014 12:22 PM

A VERY disturbing event is happening. YES people have become ill from foods grown in some places but... this is not about GMO and others like that.

READ THIS ARTICLE:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-foo ... z2u528ngu5

Seems FDA is going after ORGANIC farmers...

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 02-23-2014 12:38 PM

Just opening this up for discussion. Is there any relationship between the GMO and gluten sensitivity?

I ask because growing up I don't recall so many people having to be gluten free, peanut free, milk free....

It seems something in our foods is causing a reaction, and I'll be damned if I can recall friends, family, neighbors, having these reactions in the 50s and 60s.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 02-23-2014 12:53 PM

Vo - I agree and have wondered about this myself. I never heard about any of these maladies growing up.

Have you heard of the book Wheat Belly? I bought it and it's very good. This is a portion of a review from Amazon:

"So, why did I buy the book if I already knew what to do? Because this book goes into great detail about WHY wheat is a problem. If you're like me, you probably think of wheat as four-foot tall "amber waves of grain." But that's not what we are eating these days. It's an engineered version that's two feet tall, and is nothing like what I ate as a kid in the 1950s. And unfortunately, it raises your blood sugar higher than eating a candy bar. And if you don't think that's a problem then you need to learn more about how high blood sugar affects your health."

What I found interesting about this quote is the reference of "amber waves of grain". That resonated with me because in my garden I grow heirloom Nicotiana and they are in no way like my heirloom varities. They are short, compact and no fragrance.

I buy the TJ's Cream Top milk because it tastes like milk I remember from the 50's. I can't say that about much of anything else these days unless I grow it in my garden.

:(
A man's character is his fate

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-23-2014 04:38 PM

Many foods grown in the gardens these days - I do wonder about as well. Even trying to be very careful with seeds from packages, I have to wonder.

Like last year growing peppers (ghost peppers) direct from a ghost pepper - got three different types. Yes, standard Red ghost peppers, but also got yellows - which are somewhat milder and the original throwback one - bhut-jolokia - whose peppers were about size of the pinkie finger and far far stronger in both taste and when made into powder. BUT very good!!

Roma tomatoes produce more Romas all by themselves. If a few fall off the plants and get missed when gathering - they produce new Roma tomatoes the next year.

BUT this going after organic growers -- makes me think they are trying to destroy farmer's markets where one can obtain locally grown foods. It is disturbing! I know enough people who grow their own foods and not talking GMO or Monsanto types. We would often exchange home grown foods with neighbors. Now I am beginning to wonder as fewer will be "allowed" to do so.

fos
Pirate

Post by fos » 02-23-2014 05:08 PM

I have spent time in Germany. Many families there have gardens. They are very common. The produce available in the stores is also very good. The "Vol Milch" milk is also much richer than the milk here in the states.

Ps. There is a restaurant in Heidelberg that grows everything they serve, including the beef, pork, and chicken.
Last edited by fos on 02-23-2014 05:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 02-23-2014 05:29 PM

Diogenes wrote: Have you heard of the book Wheat Belly? I bought it and it's very good. This is a portion of a review from Amazon

Which book? There are many in the search. I wonder if the old style "amber" wheat can be found in non-GMO.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 02-23-2014 06:57 PM

voguy wrote: Which book? There are many in the search. I wonder if the old style "amber" wheat can be found in non-GMO.

Wheat Belly - fascinating read.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose- ... 1609611543

Squiid - you should be in on this as I believe a while back you started a thread precisely on this topic.

Come out come out wherever you are.;)
A man's character is his fate

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-24-2014 09:23 AM

I personally think much of this is caused by GMO, but I also believe anti-grain sentiment is a diet fad. I know many people who are not gluten sensitive but think it is simply healthier to not eat grains. I think this is poppycock myself, but who am I to tell them that. Obviously I avoid GMO food whenever possible, actually always as far as I know...

As to the topic, of course they are going after organic farmers. We live in fascist countries where the corporations control the government policy, and there is no money for all the bottom-feeders to make from organic food. They need them to be spraying crap on the ground at all times, buying new seeds every year, etc etc etc.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-24-2014 11:09 AM

I grow tomatoes and peppers mostly - and yes sell some, can and freeze and dry a lot of peppers for a variety of or powders. We also (as of this year) selling pepper seeds so other can grow these too.

dehydrating the peppers, grinding in a "coffee bean type grinder" makes the best powder. Selling them on ebay.

Got other people also growing gardens too for their homes and yes excess to the markets or even to the take to the places serving homeless.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-24-2014 02:21 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: I grow tomatoes and peppers mostly - and yes sell some, can and freeze and dry a lot of peppers for a variety of or powders. We also (as of this year) selling pepper seeds so other can grow these too.

dehydrating the peppers, grinding in a "coffee bean type grinder" makes the best powder. Selling them on ebay.

Got other people also growing gardens too for their homes and yes excess to the markets or even to the take to the places serving homeless.

Good for you. Feel free to post a link to your ebay store if you wish.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-24-2014 03:00 PM

Diogenes wrote: Wheat Belly - fascinating read.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose- ... 1609611543

Squiid - you should be in on this as I believe a while back you started a thread precisely on this topic.

Come out come out wherever you are.;)
Hey Diogenes! Thanks for the "props", yo.

You might be talking about this thread: showthread.php?threadid=45489&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

...and within it, these posts:

showthread.php?postid=676764#post676764

Heh... great to re-read this. Strong points made all around. The great thing is this: food quality/honesty/integrity is one of only a couple of "issues" that manages to overcome the political party or ideological "tribalism" which is destroying our way of life. You, me, VOguy, megman, and even bobbo mostly agreed on stuff in that conversation. I know that Fan, Doka, RA, fos, and others would also be in agreement with us on the problem of transparency and accountability in this area.

Nobody would *knowingly* feed their kids and grandkids poisonous food. That is precisely why 10,000 year old organic methods are under attack, and mega-corporations are fighting tooth and nail to keep from having to slap honest labels on their "products".

Cherry Kelly: I too would be interested in what you have to offer, as I know you are trying your absolute hardest to grow nutritious foods. Your garden threads are among the most valuable and informative here!
Last edited by SquidInk on 02-24-2014 03:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-24-2014 03:06 PM

showthread.php?postid=530490#post530490

Here's another one. Reading down from the linked post, Cherry Kelly provides excellent tips for seed handling, Doka provides a great source: http://rareseeds.com/, and Diogenes sends us off into wild corners the internet to learn more: http://www.seedsavers.org/ .

I can see unadulterated seeds becoming a full fledged form of currency in the (near) future.

Great thread, my peeps.

:cool:
Last edited by SquidInk on 02-24-2014 03:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-24-2014 03:16 PM

I probably posted this elsewhere, but very trustworthy and cool people with a great business selling heritage seeds. Located near RA's neck of the woods.

http://www.saltspringseeds.com/

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-25-2014 10:36 AM

Thank you - I wish more people would grow gardens -- I try to encourage as many as possible.

Here's the ebay site:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/kellyspeppers/m ... 7675.l2562

On the Moruga and the Reaper - those are ones I brought indoors for the winter. (yes they did produce in the winter - only a very few peppers but ehh) - Habanero and the Ghost Pepper (bhut jolokia) red have also produced indoor. The tobasco has some ready (maybe 6 little peppers) to be picked. Seems only the hotter peppers grow indoors.

----
I have no idea what this new FDA is going to do about home growers who take produce to market. It is very disturbing.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-27-2014 01:27 PM

GEE - with Michelle demanding large print stuff on canned goods -- what will she do next -- make home growers pirnt out info on products too???

Return to “Garden & Galley”