Roll Call

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 03-04-2003 12:06 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Linnea:
Just checking in. I've got a new hard drive on its way. When that comes in - I'll start download the set program again, and maybe that astro pulse program Anyone else downloaded it yet? I know Mark has it going.</font>
Nope - haven't even checked it out yet. I suppose I should, but I'm thinkin' that having them both running on this outdated thing (sheesh - a 1yr. old dinosaur) would not be a very efficient proposition. Nonetheless, I guess I'll go take a peek right now... if I can find it. Image

lrs! We're watchin' for your name to magically appear in the chart!! Woo-hoooo!!! Image {light is on}
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 03-04-2003 12:15 AM

Astro Pulse is still in Beta. Image
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

lrs
Pirate

Post by lrs » 03-04-2003 10:53 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DougBupstateNY:
lrs! We're watchin' for your name to magically appear in the chart!! Woo-hoooo!!! Image {light is on}</font>

Ha!

Thanks for everything, Doug.

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 03-04-2003 11:05 PM

Click!

So what is the scoop on astropulse in plain English... unless there is something simpler than plain English.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 03-05-2003 08:44 AM

Yes, BOINC (currently on version 0.14) and Astropulse (currently on version 0.05) are still in non-public beta testing. It will be a short while before they are fully ready for a public beta testing phase. I would guess about a month if all the developers are on their toes.

Morgan~ BOINC is the backbone (new idea from SETI@home admin) on which all future distributed computing projects will run, at least the ones out of U.C. Berkeley.

There are two projects so far, Astropulse and SETI@home II (Southern Hemisphere Search). SETI@home II will be available sometime later this year hopefully. It will analyze data from Parkes Observatory located in Australia whereas SETI@home currently gets all of its data from Arecibo in Puerto Rico. According to the future page at Berkeley the data recorder is done collecting data from Arecibo and is just doling out the wu's until they are gone, which may not be until later this year (probably the end of August).

Astropulse "will re-examine the existing SETI@home data tapes for a new type of signal radio pulses that only last for a microsecond." For more info on Astropulse see the future page noted above.

Astropulse will also still be looking for ET but in a slightly different way so don't feel as if you are a traitor by going to AP while SETI@home is still going. In fact, if you so choose and after both projects are going, you could crunch on both projects at the same time. Your options are greatly increased with BOINC.

BOINC also functions as a workunit caching program so you can set your cache. I see that the writers of the various add-ons for SETI@home are beta-testing BOINC and Astropulse and I'm sure that they will either reconfigure their current programs or re-write them. These programs, in case you aren't aware, are SETI Driver, SETISpy, SETI Watch, SETI Monitor, etc., all of which are linked up through the add-ons at Berkeley:
Add-ons page

If you can think of anything I missed or just neglected here please reply. I know it's a lot of info that really doesn't mean anything as of yet but it will soon and I'm here to help in any way I can.

Mark

[This message has been edited by TABwebmaster (edited 05 March 2003).]

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 03-05-2003 03:25 PM

Team, give a big welcome to our newest member, lrs. Glad you joined us Image

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 03-05-2003 06:02 PM

Haarrr! Glad to see you made it on the team lrs - officially, that is!! Welcome!!

Now, go find this guy! ---> Image
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

lrs
Pirate

Post by lrs » 03-05-2003 08:37 PM

THANKS!!

They're out there. We'll find 'em.

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 03-05-2003 09:03 PM

Yes, lrs has always been a part of our team, but now it is official!!!! Image

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 03-05-2003 09:07 PM

By the way, lrs and any of FFST who haven't done it, the Planetary Society has a very nice Seti At Home Participant Certificate that you can print. It is very nice, not dinky like the milestone certificates. I had to turn my pop-up blocker off to get to the site.

[This message has been edited by Gwen (edited 05 March 2003).]

lrs
Pirate

Post by lrs » 03-05-2003 09:19 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gwen:
By the way, lrs and any of FFST who haven't done it, the Planetary Society has a very nice Seti At Home Participant Certificate that you can print. It is very nice, not dinky like the milestone certificates. I had to turn my pop-up blocker off to get to the site.

[This message has been edited by Gwen (edited 05 March 2003).]
</font>
Oh cool!! Thank you, Gwen.

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 03-07-2003 12:47 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gwen:
It is very nice, not dinky like the milestone certificates.</font>
Wow... they actually award you certificates for the milestones? Guess I'm halfway to my first one. Can't wait to see how dinky it is! Image

I printed out the one from the Planetary Society about a month ago, and yes, it's nice. Image
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 03-08-2003 09:22 PM

click!

I tellya what... I was worried that I might not make it into the tippytop 1% before SETI @ Home turned into a pumpkin... now I'm worried that the world (or at least a terribly signifigant portion of it)will blow up first.

If it's not one thing, it's another, y'know?

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 03-09-2003 05:19 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Morgan:
click!

I tellya what... I was worried that I might not make it into the tippytop 1% before SETI @ Home turned into a pumpkin... now I'm worried that the world (or at least a terribly signifigant portion of it)will blow up first.

If it's not one thing, it's another, y'know?

</font>
Thanks for leaving the light on - I was too tired to be stumbling around. Image

Before you read this, please understand that I am aware, after re-reading your post, that you were making a point about the triviality of your seti concerns in light of the impending doom that has been thrust upon us. I realized that after I posted the below rant... but I chose to leave it here to be pondered, or shot down, as you, the reader, (or one of the "old salts"), so choose.

Ok - with that stated:

I'm truly not worried about either. I know I'll never make it to the tippytop before SETI@home turns into a pumpkin, and I honestly don't believe that the middle east is going to be blasted into the ether. Oh - there might be a couple of significant craters, but that would make for a great tourist attraction. I'm honestly sorry if that sounds inconsiderate, but I can't seem to help being less concerned about that than say, why dogs sniff each other {meant as lightheartedly as possible considering the subject matter}. I am quite aware that my apparent lack of interest is appalling to most, but I see it like this;
- individually we can't (or won't) do a darn thing
- together we can do very little (if anything)
- the citizens of this great country have effectively been nullified by the federal government... and with our consent, which makes it a repulsive realization.

Before you disagree with this statement, realize that although we didn't see it happening in a light that made it stand out to us, when reflected upon, one can put everything together and clearly see just when and where everything was put in place - and with little or no objection, because, unfortunately, it has been too much of an effort on the part of the citizen to delve into the slimy world of politics. Now, when it's time to pay the piper, as it were, we have the interesting notion that we should be heard and listened to - well, we should have thought about that a long time ago. Apparently we couldn't be bothered to diligently keep watch over our government - which we were so strongly urged and warned to do, lest it control us, instead of us controlling it. After all, wouldn't you think that in a country where issues are decided upon by majority rule (of the people who are in fact supposed to be the government), that an issue of this magnitude should be put before those people to be decided upon? I can surely understand and appreciate that there are those times when there is little or no time for a decision to be reached, and in such a situation, I would not condemn any action of our leadership. In fact, I would condemn a lack of action. In this case however, there has been ample time to put this issue where it belongs - in the hands of "We, the people...".

Now, I fear that this is a legacy that we will surely regret. But, I am also decidedly aware of our near helplessness - wrought by our own hands, {or the lack of use thereof}.

I am also a firm believer in "whatever happens, happens for a reason". I am therefore comfortable in the huge assumption that no matter what happens, there is a sound, positive, and logical reason why this must be. We may not be able to see or understand right now, but I believe that it is there.

Now that I have posted this completely off-topic rant in here... I apologize. If someone feels that this would be better off in the politics section of FF, by all means please move it... Linnea?? RC?? Image Image

[This message has been edited by DougBupstateNY (edited 09 March 2003).]
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-09-2003 02:18 PM

and it's a great rant, DougB Image I so much agree with every point you have made. Wish I could 'double post' it to the National thread - but you can't move individual posts, only topics. You may think about posting this in National. It is well worth the exposure it would receive there.

Return to “FANTASTIC FORUM ~ SETi Team”