Normal tornado activity?

Moderator: Super Moderators

The Destiny
Pirate

Normal tornado activity?

Post by The Destiny » 05-06-2003 02:31 AM

So... we get this deadly tornadoes now but not long ago we had some too...
Is this what we are going to have to get used to from our weather...:confused:

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-06-2003 09:31 AM

Tornadoes and the tornadic season have certain patterns, and require certain types of weather conditions. When thehot air masses pushing up through the middle of the country hit the cold jet stream (bringing cool air from the north) anything can happen. A great deal depends on the moisture in the air and on time of year.

May is known for tornadoes - especially big ones.

The Destiny
Pirate

Post by The Destiny » 05-06-2003 12:33 PM

Ahum, but the one in.. Alabama?... was in winter, also turned deadly... it seems to me your above explanation matches more what is a typical pattern. I was just saying that (if) most tornadoes in this season are going to be this strong and effective destructively to our urbane concentrations this might be a new higher degree of danger for us to face from the weather. But I think my point is premature at this point...

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-07-2003 09:43 AM

It is difficult to say at this point in time. The same way it seems that heavier earthquake activity (ie stronger and more numerous) seem to take place periodically.

The rare tornado activity in winter is just another example of 'strange' weather. (as noted AL in winter) It is rare, but it has happened before and will probably happen again (its mother nature).

Weathermen cannot accurately predict them or their paths, but can note when conditions are "ripe" for them to happen. And not even THAT is accurate. I have witnessed tornadoes on a -- well what appeared to be a normal sunshine day. (mid 1960s - clear sunny day - scattered small clouds -and BOOM - tornado hit - destroyed a town, some farms and was gone.)

All I know is that they (weatherpeople ) are once again telling us conditions are "ripe" for possible tornado activity - again... (5-7-03) will be on watch.

snowbird
Pirate

Post by snowbird » 05-09-2003 01:01 PM

I'm curious... how has the chemtrail situation been out west lately? Could they have been seeding something in the clouds to turn the weather so topsy-turvy. I could understand a *few* tornados every now and again, but lately it has been downright nasty and ridiculous.

Good luck, everyone in tornado alley and beyond (heck, we've been know to get some up here in Canuckistan too) Hang on tight...

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 05-09-2003 02:21 PM

We had some wild weather here in Sacramento yesterday, including a tornado alert and some funnel clouds spotted. Hail, hard rain and much thunder.

Second time in a month (last one nearly fried the computwers.

Very unusual.

Cheers

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-10-2003 11:16 AM

We had tornadoes again last night and the way the weather looks now - it could be again tonight - - -

tell me about tornadoes -- living in the midwest all my life - seen a lot of them even on clear days...

- - -
batten down hatches --

Area13Ky
Pirate

Post by Area13Ky » 05-10-2003 01:53 PM

Don't forget the Nation's first recorded tornado of 2003 touched down just 35 miles from where I live ...the F1 struck the small community of Altma ( sp? ) near Beattyville KY in the month of February ...killing two people . Watching that scene on a local news channel the debris site looked surreal with snow on the ground . It was about 5 years ago during Febuary we had two F1 tornadoes strike my home town of Stanton ..each 12 hours apart...damaging homes and barns.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-11-2003 09:33 AM

Area -- indeed there are tornadoes in winter - especially in some of the southern states.

Last night (sat 10th) IL and KY both were hit by bad tornadoes.

Area13Ky
Pirate

Post by Area13Ky » 05-11-2003 11:09 AM

They sure can and do Cherry ...Both counties that were hit in Kentucky yesterday were about 60 miles north from here ....there were injuries and around 17 homes destroyed ...and this morning about 4am another tornado touched down just below Lexington and the latest report I heard people were also taken to the hospital and several more homes demolished..I been up since 2am this morning to be on the safe side watching the local weather alerts on TV and the radar screen on the NWS web page...seems that my home county ( Powell ) lucked out during both squall lines ..they either split and went around us or weakened down to strong winds and heavy rain before they got here ...we did get some pea size hail though from the last storm...I been nervy all week with this going on and if I was living in parts west of Kentucky right now I probably had a stroke by now ;)
Last edited by Area13Ky on 05-11-2003 11:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.

lrs
Pirate

Post by lrs » 05-13-2003 08:32 PM

View from Iowa (which has been spared so far): the sky is green, the wind blows, the lighting flashes, the thunder roars...all as I sit here and write this.

The best story I've heard yet, Tennessee, is the little old couple who couldn't make it to the basement in time. They woke up the next morning to find that the entire house was...in the basement.

"A good thing we didn't make it", he said, "we'd either be buried under all that, or we'd be dead".

I sense that the summer super-storm is coming. Trust your instincts. Be safe.

lrs

snowbird
Pirate

Post by snowbird » 05-14-2003 08:40 AM

Here in Canada we usually don't get anything on the scale that you do, but every now and then there's a tornado that will hit with almost the same ferocity. In my area, west of Ottawa, we just had a dopler radar installed for that reason.
A few years ago, we when had a spell of bad weather and people were reporting tornados here and there, we had one "touch down" on our property. I saw clouds coming our way but didn't see a funnel as everything was dark grey and rain was slamming down. We shut all the doors and windows downstairs and I sent my daughter to shut the windows upstairs.

Simultaneous happening: 1. when she opened her bedroom door to get to the window she saw hail coming in and quickly pulled the door closed which as she did, saw the hail being drawn out again. 2. Downstairs, I was in the kitchen waiting for the heavy rain to end when I realized that it was changing white. It was like looking at a giant blender with ice in it. There was nothing outside the window but solid white whizzing horizontally. It moved off and the view cleared almost suddenly.

When rain/hail stopped slamming and moved off, we went outside and were met with uprooted trees (one just missing our roof). We could see the wheelbarrow filled with rocks had been lifted and thrown across the yard. Beside the house we had a picknic table with one of those styrofoam plant containers on it which was not touched. It was a strange site. In the attic, we had soft aluminum sheets covering the windows which have the circular wavy imprint of something of force hitting it.

The weather men said it was a downdraft rather than a tornado. I say they were nuts as this was very selective. This weren't no downdraft...

Has anyone live to tell what it was like inside a tornado? I'd have to guess and say that if the giant ones are anything like I witnessed, they'd be dead from the pummelling from the hail.

Sound: it sounded like souped up Mac trucks, engines running all around us.

Before it came, the sky was a greenish colour - we pay heed to the colour of the sky now.

So there you have it - we get them too, but not very often and only sometimes is it as ferocious as south of us.

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”