Blizzard Warning

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 02-22-2015 06:23 PM

Well, we got a respite today with temps somewhere near 40. Most people were out clearing the ice dams and snow off their roofs. We had a water main let go over on the next block early yesterday morning flooding a portion of the neighborhood. There were a couple of barn collapses this past week with two horses getting killed in one collapse. Spent the day chopping the ice off the driveway and freeing-up the downspouts - finally hearing water running (yay!!!) - most snow is finally off the roof. Tonight the temps plunge into the teens and we might hit 25 tomorrow - and that'll be the high spot for the week with lows below zero forecast again. Today's temps were so comparatively warm, went outside in short sleeves and shorts (nice!!!!) Got the pellet stove cleaned out and dug a path to the woodshed and should be set for the coming week :D
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 03-01-2015 11:03 AM

So starting later today and into tonight, we're slated to get another 6-8".

Last I heard, there have been about 180 roof collapses in Massachusetts during the past three weeks. Early yesterday morning, a roof collapsed at an indoor skating rink in Canton, a few miles south of Boston. Very lucky in that it was early morning. There were some kids and coaches there getting ready for morning practice and once the coaches heard the rafters popping, they got all the kids outside. If it had been a few hours later, the rink would have been crowded. s it was, the town government had been "discussing" removing the snow for the past week or so. Too bad they couldn't have gotten beyond discussing and just moved on the project.

Boston may set it's all time record later today for total snow amounts with this storm.

I'm gonna head out an whack some more ice out of my downspouts and knock some more icicles off the gutters.

They tell me that Spring is only 19 days away - but I've seen it snow here in June once when I was a kid, so that doesn't mean very much......
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 03-01-2015 11:26 AM

Kbot, You are in my thoughts, hang in there! :)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 03-01-2015 01:21 PM

It has been strange here this winter. I don't think we'll have to worry about a drought this year.

On a side note, I started watching the History Channel's series Vikings. Watched Season 2 on demand, been watching the DVD for Season 1, and have been wondering - how the heck did these people manage?

My wife just called. Yesterday she pulled a double. Got-in about midnight and I woke her up at six to be in on-time for the start of dayshift. The snow's already started falling and the 3-11 AND 11-7 nurses have called-in for tonight. In Mass, it is illegal for a nurse to work a triple shift, although....... who knows what's gonna happen.

Ah yes, the joys of healthcare....... :rolleyes:

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 03-16-2015 11:01 AM

Boston broke their record for the most snowfall in a season with yesterday's storm. And, with more snow on the horizon for later this week, the totals will continue to climb.

Boston’s winter vaults to top of snowfall records

It was close, and there were some doubts as the city finally emerged from its tundra-like state last week, but we did it.

Just after 7 Sunday evening, with 2.9 more inches of fresh snow blanketing Boston, the National Weather Service in Taunton announced that the city notched its snowiest winter since records started being kept in 1872.

The official total at Logan International Airport reached 108.6 inches — one inch more than the previous record, which was set in the 1995-1996 winter, according to the weather service.

“It’s the jackpot,” said Frank Nocera, a meteorologist at the weather service.

Now that Bostonians have bragging rights, was it worth it?

“No, not at all,” said Nick Lenza, a bellhop at the W Hotel, who has endured intense winds and stinging showers of snow over the past two months. “It was a miserable winter, especially here.”

Katie Sack, 20, an Emerson College student, was sharing a meal with a friend, out of the cold in the Theater District. “It’s time for it to stop snowing,” she said. “I’m done.”

But Siobhan Ford of Brighton, who moved to Boston a year ago and said she has been “flabbergasted” by the winter, oozed a certain pride.

“It hasn’t been that bad,” she said as she walked down Boylston Street. “I could break the record again.”

Back in January, it was hard to fathom that the city could set any records for snow this season. The city had accumulated just 4.5 inches up until Jan. 23.

The region cleared other records this winter, with a peak of 46 inches of snowpack at the Blue Hill Observatory in Milton, the deepest in the past 130 years. It has also been the second-longest stretch of days with more than 20 inches of snow on the ground.

And February, with nearly 65 inches of snow in 28 days, marked the snowiest month ever recorded in Boston — by more than 21 inches.

Nocera, the meteorologist at the weather service, noted that the average for Boston is 43 inches all winter.

The records are definitely worth crowing about for some.

“We were miserable, but at least now we’re miserable champions,” said Joe Ferreira, 27, of the South End, while trudging through the slush on Boston Common.

The prolonged misery has required coping mechanisms.

“Alcohol has been my friend,” Bruce Jurgens, 46, said while standing in the sleet on a corner of the Common.

Annie Armstrong, 19, who lives in the Fenway, has sought a kind of transcendence.

“I listened to a lot of beachy music and pretended it wasn’t happening,” she said while hurrying through the Common back to somewhere warm.

The hardest part may be that it’s still not over.

Although the weather will be mild on Monday and Tuesday, yet another arctic front is moving in later this week and temperatures are forecast to plummet, again, and remain cold through next week. Wednesday night could drop to a low of 19 degrees.

And, yes, sadly, the record could rise even more.

“I’m sorry to say that we could be getting more snow on Friday,” said Nocera. “And it looks like there might be more next week.”
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/0 ... id=Top-GNP

Riddick
Pirate

First Blizzard Of the Season Set To Hit The Midwest

Post by Riddick » 11-18-2016 04:35 AM

A major storm is forecast to produce the first blizzard of the season for the Dakotas and Minnesota Thursday night and Friday.

As the storm strengthens over the Plains, gusty winds are expected to produce near white-out conditions for the eastern Dakotas and western Minnesota on Friday. Up to one foot of snow is possible in northern Minnesota, according to forecasts.

In addition, winds will be gusting between 40 to 50 mph with blowing snow in western Minnesota and the eastern Dakotas on Friday. The National Weather Service said travel in the area Friday is not advised.

Wintry weather has also started to creep in across other parts of the country. The first snow of the season is currently falling over Salt Lake City, Utah.

The first snow of the season also fell in Spokane, Washington, on Wednesday. Parts of Washington have already received more than 10 inches of snow.

A total of 10 states from Idaho to Iowa are under some sort of snow warning, watch or advisory Thursday night and Friday.

http://www.knzr.com/syndicated-article/?id=266361

Global warming's at fault. There's no other explanation possible

Or is it God's reaction to the election of Trump? Yeah, that's it!
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Re: Blizzard Warning

Post by kbot » 11-18-2016 06:25 AM

Guess we can kiss summer good-bye, huh?

Saw that on the news last night - not n the mood for massive shoveling this winter........

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”