Star Trek - and beyond

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Star Trek VS Collectivism

Post by Riddick » 05-07-2020 03:08 PM

ST TOS Episode 21: "The Return of the Archons"

Overview

Investigating the disappearance of the U.S.S. Archon, Lieutenant Sulu travels to Beta III and returns to the Enterprise in a blissful state. Upon further examination, Captain Kirk—accompanied by Spock and McCoy—determines the planetary inhabitants are kept in a trance-like condition by Lawgivers, hooded figures who accept orders from a reclusive, enigmatic leader known as Landru (Charles Macaulay).

Analysis

Operating on the premise that various manifestations of collectivism (e.g., communism) are detrimental to human progress, “The Return of the Archons” acknowledges that every individual must remain as such in order to fully recognize his or her unique talents and abilities.

(Note that even as a “benevolent” dictator, Landru prevents those under his rule from advancing beyond a childlike mentality—a statement on the fact that even “good” forms of authoritarianism result in utter stagnation, both on a personal and societal level, over time.)

Concluding Comments

“The Return of the Archons” contains a thought-provoking critique of collectivism, unquestioning adherence to the state, and artificial intelligence run amok. Science fiction enthusiasts are therefore advised to view this episode, the profound themes of which compensate for many slow-moving sequences.

FULL ARTICLE
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

* Related Reading *

Post by Riddick » 05-07-2020 03:15 PM

Cradle Of Liberty FAIL
Excerpts:

"We're all being conditioned so that we will respond in a way that the authorities want." - kbot

"[Total security] is the goal (I almost typed gaol - a gnarly parapraxis indeed!), no matter if the catalyst is 'communism', 'terrorism', 'domestic terrorism/patriotism', jihad, 'hackers', 'pandemics', 'super-viruses', 'climate change', etc. The solution is always the same.

Guess there's no room for freedom in the world any more. It's now a question of which borg-like derivative will dominate." - SquidInk
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Re: Star Trek VS Collectivism

Post by Doka » 05-08-2020 11:23 AM

Quote from Dale O Sea
"Put some wheels on that cradle and move it to some place that still appreciates freedom, liberty and basic personal rights, okay? "

I do like this quote from Dale, "Put some wheels on that cradle ". "Cradle", being the key word. One of Obamie's key phrases was "That's Not Who We Are" then he would go out into the World and do some bloody regime changes in other other countries, pick and choose who should be "special", and pit us againt each other ,then run out and bow and kiss rings, as he was selling off our country. That little phrase infuriated me, Because that certainly NOT who I wanted to be! But, many of the "Infatuated" couldn't help themselves, they deeply fell under the "Spell" ! Throwing away themselves, and their inate sense of "Right and Wrong" Some even sold their Soul , to become his Personal Hate Dogs, with out a clue as to where they where being led. Growing up is hard to do, no doubt, but total insistance on my way or the highway is nuts and infantile. Yet I will fight just as hard for the Stupid as well as those in the "Know". Because With out Liberty, there are NO choices for anyone.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Return to “Star Trek Forum”