C2C/George in the news

George Noory/Guests, Commentary,
Radio topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

jamesTkirk
Pirate

C2C/George in the news

Post by jamesTkirk » 11-12-2006 08:00 PM

C2C and George in the SF bay area news...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... MBB3T1.DTL

When Noory took the weekday helm, he managed to do two things that previous fill-in guests couldn't -- be accepted by Bell's believers and help "Coast to Coast AM" reach more listeners.

gee, you'd never think that hangin' around here...

jimbo

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 11-12-2006 08:52 PM

It isn't true. Over the first three years of Noory's moderatorship of the program, many --- possibly most --- of Art Bell's listeners disappeared, and they were replaced by what I call "Nooryheads." The only similarity between then and now is the name of the show, nothing more...

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 11-12-2006 09:14 PM

When Art left in 2003 he had over 20 million listeners and over 500 Affiliates, by the time Art came back on weekends the Affiliates were down to 300 and most of the big markets were lost. I hear the figure for Noory's listeners around 10 million so I would like to know how he is doing better than Art did and lets not forget the rating week starts on Sunday night so who's ratings "whatever they are", are they, think maybe Art has a lot to do with that. I noticed in the article he mentioned he is more excepted by listeners than any other "guest host", I beg to differ with that, Ian Punnett has a lot of fans and is well accepted with Coast fans. If the ORR is any Gage of listeners I have a hard time believing he is that popular. BTW when Art was on full time he was always in the top 10 for overnight radio and the only other person who had more Affiliates than Art was Lumbaugh and that is a day time show.

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 11-12-2006 10:04 PM

Book hype is the underlying "silent" origin of that article.

I thought it strange that GN/C2C is also hyping a CD that includes interviews with Fr. Malachi Martin with NO mention whatsoever that ART was doing the interviewing....

Rewriting history is a bad business.
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

miner
Pirate

Post by miner » 11-13-2006 12:56 AM

"We broke the story on the Dubai ports," said Noory, who has been collecting sources since the 1970s, when he started his career in television news back in Detroit. "We broke the story on SARS, and we were the first to report on the bird flu pandemic."

George is just too modest. He failed to mention he also solved the mystery of the JFK assassination while on vacation. :D

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 11-13-2006 01:05 AM

George is just too modest. He failed to mention he also solved the mystery of the JFK assassination while on vacation.

miner I didn't know he solved the JFk assasination, gee look what I miss because I don't listen to him.:D :D :D

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-13-2006 01:06 AM

miner wrote: "We broke the story on the Dubai ports," said Noory, who has been collecting sources since the 1970s, when he started his career in television news back in Detroit. "We broke the story on SARS, and we were the first to report on the bird flu pandemic."

He also breaks wind quite frequently during the show, apparently.

nfactor13
Pirate

Post by nfactor13 » 11-13-2006 01:15 AM

HB3 wrote: He also breaks wind quite frequently during the show, apparently.
That would be "a fresh wind blowing" in late night talk.

teresius
Pirate

Post by teresius » 11-13-2006 02:49 AM

quote excerpted from above interview:
"Before I went on the show, I checked out 'Coast to Coast's' Web site and saw some pictures of funny-looking Martians and nutty things, but it takes all kinds of things to make the world go 'round," Carlo said. "In this day and age, it's impossible to get that much time on the air. All the people in the book business think (the show is) the cat's meow. "
wow. there's a shocker. sheer, unalloyed commercial greed.
i also like the part about how he avoids taking vacations on weekends because that's when people "count on him the most."

?

until recently, the weekends were the only respite that i had from noory. i thought that it was very nice of george to mention the other hosts. i'm sure that that part of the interview didn't make the final edit.
email me directly at: teresius "at" comcast.net (all one word, of course)

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 11-13-2006 07:34 AM

I'll add my comments when I get done feeling nauseous ... I had no idea you could smell bat guano over the internet. Phew! :rolleyes: -and- blergh!

JamesTKirk - I totally spaced on your request- SORRY! :o I'll try to remember before I go to bed tonight-

Dixie Dial-Up

PS: Joe Quinn & Spaceprophet should especially enjoy this part:

That conspiracy theories have joined the mainstream is an extraordinary phenomenon in itself, according to Michael Barkun, a political science professor at Syracuse University and author of "A Culture of Conspiracy: Apocalyptic Visions in Contemporary America."

"These kinds of ideas that used to be really out on the fringe and tucked away in a subterranean subculture are now a part of pop culture," said Barkun, who also sees a link between the growing political conspiracy climate and the end of the Cold War.
Last edited by Dixie Butcher on 11-13-2006 07:49 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 11-13-2006 07:55 AM

"We broke the story on the Dubai ports," said Noory,

My father taught me three important things that I never forget:
1- always root for the underdog
2- if you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it
3- the most dangerous people are the ones who believe their own lies

Plainsman
Pirate

Post by Plainsman » 11-13-2006 03:06 PM

"George is just too modest. He failed to mention he also solved the mystery of the JFK assassination while on vacation."

Excellent!

Don't forget the sheer bravery (and electronic voice tricks) he showed when he screwed up the courage, after months of blabbing about it, to interview Satan. I'm surprised he didn't mention that scoop. Too bad...he probably would have won another local Emmy.

miner
Pirate

Post by miner » 11-13-2006 09:50 PM

Shirleypal wrote: miner I didn't know he solved the JFk assasination, gee look what I miss because I don't listen to him.:D :D :D

Ha Ha. See what your missing Shirley. :D

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 11-13-2006 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Dixie Butcher

. . . . said Noory,

My father taught me three important things that I never forget:
1- always root for the underdog
2- if you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it
3- the most dangerous people are the ones who believe their own lies

20 ways to deal with difficult people.

1. Remove the blame factor
"Oftentimes, indirect language works because it focuses on the project rather than the person. Instead of saying, 'You need to get it to me,' you can say, 'Reports must be turned in by ...' or, 'Payroll must be completed by ...' That way, people are less likely to feel accused or hounded."

2. Let people know the result of their actions
"When colleagues miss deadlines, I let them know the impact: 'If you don't get it to me until tomorrow, that means we won't have time to check it before shipping to your client,' or whatever. And make sure the impact is in relation to them, not you."

3. Talk in person or by phone
"It's notoriously easy to hit the wrong tone and come off sharp, imperious or brusque in email when you don't intend to. Use the phone or drop by their desk when addressing sensitive issues."

4. Be brief
"When discussing problems, keep it short and direct. It minimizes a stressful situation for both of you."

5. Handle a whiner with tact
"You aren't going to cure a whiner, but you might be able to cure her of talking to you. Don't ask open-ended questions, not even 'How are you?' Limit your greetings to 'good morning' and 'good evening.' And be busy -- all the time. The words 'I'm sorry, I don't have time to chat right now' are your friends. Know them, love them, use them."

6. Do your homework
"When you go to your boss with an issue or problem, make a list of the specifics you want to address, research the issue and get your facts right. When you have everything ready, schedule a meeting, and be cool and professional."

7. Don't complain
"Watch what you say to anyone at work. The only reason to bring up negative issues is to create a plan for correcting them. Complaining for the sake of complaining can alienate colleagues and create a bad environment. Better to save it for message boards."

8. Let go of your anger
"Sometimes it's hard to get past your own feelings of anger or hurt and your need to get them out. Write how you feel in a letter and mail it to yourself, or keep it at home. Then resolve to put your anger aside. If you're curious in a couple of months, read the letter. You may be surprised at how those feelings have changed."

9. Don't take it personally
"Recognize that a criticism of your work is not a criticism of you, and don't let it damage your self-esteem."

10. Stick to the points
"Whenever you have to discuss something with a difficult coworker, write down three to five main points, and stick to them. Even if they get off the subject and start saying nasty things, always come back to your main points. That way, you avoid getting embroiled in an argument."

11. Keep people in the loop
"Don't spring any surprises on your boss or coworkers - like a new deadline or a developing problem. People don't like that, and they can react defensively."

12. Deal with a screamer
"Tell the screamer that the way she is speaking to you is making it difficult for you to understand what she wants and how to do your job professionally. Then you can say, 'I know the two of us want to be professional at all times.'"

13. Watch your language
"Don't make an explosive situation worse by describing someone's behavior to them with value-charged words like 'rude,' 'uncaring' and 'yelling.' Instead use more neutral descriptive words like 'loud' or 'abrupt.' You can say she seems impatient or rushed. And you can sympathize by saying, 'It looks like you have a lot on your mind.'"

14. Create measurable goals for difficult employees
"Create a set of expectations for their behavior over a predetermined period. These goals should be measurable and specific, rather than vague. For example, instead of saying, 'I expect you to improve your attitude,' say, 'There will be no more incidents of raising your voice to another employee.'"

15. Stop gossip
"Generally, I respond to all gossip and other such subjects with 'Oh, really?' and then change the subject or get back to work. Gossipers and rumormongers just want to stir up trouble and they need attention and fuel to keep the conversation going. If you don't respond, they move on."

16. Be friendly without getting too close
"You don't have to be bosom buddies with everyone at work. It is important to have a friendly relationship with your coworkers, but look for emotional fulfillment in your 'real' life, away from work."

17. Cultivate small talk
"Ask people about the things they like -- music, movies and pastimes -- to disarm them, get them talking and make them feel comfortable with you. Then you can bring in magazine clippings or start conversations that create goodwill: 'John, I saw this article about that band you like'; 'Hey, Mary, I found this great Italian restaurant, and I know how you love lasagna!'"

18. Keep your temper
"Here's one trick -- don't raise your voice. As a matter of fact, when you get into a tough spot, keep your voice at a normal volume and pitch it slightly lower than usual. Not only does it keep the emotional level even, it also actually forces the person to listen to you."

19. Dish out compliments
"Too often, we focus on what people are doing wrong. Try to catch them doing something right and comment on it. It makes people feel less under attack."

20. Stay open-minded
"When someone criticizes you -- regardless of how you feel about them -- take the opportunity to be responsive and consider how you could improve. It's actually an opportunity for growth!"

[Sorry, I lost the link.]

nfactor13
Pirate

Post by nfactor13 » 11-14-2006 01:53 AM

cherry wrote: 20 ways to deal with difficult people.

1. Remove the blame factor
"Oftentimes, indirect language works because it focuses on the project rather than the person. Instead of saying, 'You need to get it to me,' you can say, 'Reports must be turned in by ...' or, 'Payroll must be completed by ...' That way, people are less likely to feel accused or hounded."

2. Let people know the result of their actions
"When colleagues miss deadlines, I let them know the impact: 'If you don't get it to me until tomorrow, that means we won't have time to check it before shipping to your client,' or whatever. And make sure the impact is in relation to them, not you."
It seems the person who wrote #2 hadn't read #1.
6. Do your homework
Please, Mr. Noory.. please.
12. Deal with a screamer
"Tell the screamer that the way she is speaking to you is making it difficult for you to understand what she wants and how to do your job professionally. Then you can say, 'I know the two of us want to be professional at all times.'"
Anyone ever tried this on J.C.? Wouldn't be nearly as entertaining, I guarantee.
[Sorry, I lost the link.]
:D

http://lifestyle.msn.com/MindBodyandSou ... tid=546001

A couple others of note perhaps:
14. Create measurable goals for difficult employees
Read all print that will be read on air ahead of time, preferably out loud to yourself, and figure out if it all makes sense and if there are any names or whatever that are difficult to pronounce.
Keep the guest line-up in line with the overarching theme of Coast to Coast. Generally this would not include someone like Pat Boone, however much he might be a fine person and someone you admire.
Don't ask questions from a pre-made list. If a list is needed, write them down as they come to you while listening to the guest.
17. Cultivate small talk
This one definitely ignore. Too many potentially great calls have been detoured on pointless trivia, and often the main point is lost completely or the call is ended prematurely for no apparent reason. The callers are not your friends or even potential friends.

I think that's good for now. :)

Return to “George Noory/C2C AM Topics/Radio topics”