Moderator: Super Moderators

racehorse
Pirate

Mark O. Hatfield: For me, choice for president is clear: Bus

Post by racehorse » 09-25-2004 09:37 PM

http://www.oregonlive.com/commentary/or ... 089030.xml

Mark O. Hatfield: For me, choice for president is clear: Bush

Thursday, September 23, 2004

As a young Navy officer in World War II, I was one of the first Americans to see Hiroshima after the atomic bomb was dropped in 1945. That experience lives with me today, and it helped to shape the view I held during my public service career: a view that war is wrong in nearly every circumstance.

As Oregon's governor, I was the only governor in the nation who refused to sign a statement supporting President Johnson's Vietnam War policy.

As a senator, I joined with Sen. George McGovern in an unsuccessful effort to end that war. I was the only senator who voted against both the Democrat and Republican resolutions authorizing the use of force in the 1991 Gulf War.

In my final years in the Senate, I opposed President Clinton's decision to send American troops to Bosnia.

During my 30 years in the Senate, I never once voted in favor of a military appropriations bill.

I know that this record will cause many to wonder why I am such a strong supporter of President Bush and his policy in Iraq. My support is based on the fact that our world changed on Sept. 11, 2001, a day on which we lost more American lives than we did in the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I know from my service in the Senate that Saddam Hussein was an active supporter of terrorism. He used weapons of mass destruction on innocent people and left no doubt that he would do so again. It was crucial to the cause of world peace that he be removed from power.

Having seen atrocious loss in World War II, I understand the devastation of armed conflict. We have paid dearly with American and Iraqi lives for our commitment, but we cannot afford the alternative. Nor can we afford a president who puts a wet finger in the air and turns over his decisions to pollsters.

President Bush has indeed taken heat for his resolve in pursuing the war on terrorism and efforts in Iraq. His steadfastness and resolve in the face of his critics are deserving of praise.

As terrorists continue to plot against our country and our interests, the American people must choose between action and inaction, between security and insecurity.

I believe the choice is clear. I will proudly cast my vote for President George W. Bush.

Mark O. Hatfield served as a Republican U.S. senator from Oregon from 1967 to 1997.
racehorse

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 09-26-2004 05:10 AM

An anti-war republican supporting someone who lied us into a war ... (the majority of Americans have finally caught on) ..

and

A conservative supporting someone who has driven us to the largest deficit in history ... how conservative is that?

I remained confused, horsie :confused: ...

I hope you can find a way to support your party w/o giving the current administration your nod to continue the damage that I know you also see. If the direction we're headed is the wrong, we all must turn around and run, not walk, the other direction ... doncha think?

Return to “Bush/Cheney '04 Campaign”