Solar Roadways

Sustainable and renewable energy.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Raggedyann
Pirate

Solar Roadways

Post by Raggedyann » 05-30-2014 07:32 PM

Is your Facebook feed suddenly crowded with friends posting about solar roadways?

If so, it’s probably because of people like Shannon Forrest. The mother of two was so moved by an online video explaining the “smart road” technology, she posted messages to 70 Facebook friends to spread the word.

“I can't say that I have been so driven about an invention as I am about this one,” she said from her home in Kitchener, Ont.

“It just makes sense! So I want to do what I can to make others see the simplicity in this and the good that can come of embracing this technology.”

Solar roadways are the brainchild of a husband and wife team from Idaho, who have spent the last decade developing the technology. They launched an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign on Earth Day, April 22, with the goal of raising $1 million to take their vision from “from prototype to production.” The couple, Scott and Julie Brusaw, want to manufacture interlocking hexagonal panels that could replace asphalt with roads made of solar cells.

The panelled roads could generate massive amounts of renewable energy. By replacing all roads in the U.S. with solar panels, the country would generate three times the energy that it consumes, the claim goes.

More...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/30 ... 16811.html
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-31-2014 01:15 AM

Great SCOTT! We're still talking about roadways and solar power? Whatever happened to flying cars equipped with Mr. Fusion reactors fueled by garbage?

What a shame. With 2015 just around the corner, we're obviously living in the wrong timeline.

Fan
Lady with a

Re: Solar Roadways

Post by Fan » 06-17-2016 12:39 PM

honestly, it sounds like a great idea, especially in cities. The problem would be wear and tear I suppose.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-17-2016 04:42 PM

I'm keen on solar. The more there's ways to make it work, I'm all for it

Still, there's other folks who aren't keen on it and don't want it to work

We know who they are, the dirty bastids with the "roadblocks"! KWIM?

BTW, good ta see ya Fan!!
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-17-2016 05:21 PM

There is a good use for solar, and constructed wisely and distributed with knowledge of losses, it can be very beneficial. Case in point; a home in Ste St Marie ON which is able to keep a family of four comfortable with > 8kw of exchange. That's a few panels and large batteries on the upside, but after 5.5 years it's paid for its self.

The one thing I caution solar and wind enthusiasts about is their hatred for fossil fuels. Unless you're educated on the processes to make the generation devices, you don't know that it does take some petroleum products to make the devices you need. So you can't kill the oil industry.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-17-2016 05:53 PM

voguy wrote:The one thing I caution solar and wind enthusiasts about is their hatred for fossil fuels. Unless you're educated on the processes to make the generation devices, you don't know that it does take some petroleum products to make the devices you need. So you can't kill the oil industry.
IAWTC
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Return to “Energy Policy”