Our government is ruining dishwashers

Sustainable and renewable energy.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-15-2016 10:03 PM

What I learned when trying to buy a new dishwasher.

My 5-year old, $1,200 KitchenAid dishwasher is leaking again because it’s third replacement motor is failing.

Rather than re-up the insurance for $300 and spend months waiting for KitchenAid to grudgingly install a new $600 motor, I decided just to replace the unit.

So here are some of the fun facts I learned about where dishwashers are heading because of ever-tightening government (i.e., EPA) appliance “energy efficiency” standards:

1. Dishwasher life expectancy has decreased from about 8-10 years to 5-6 years, according to experienced repairmen and sales people.
2. Food grinders are being eliminated. So you pretty much have to rinse your dishes clean before they go in the dishwasher.
3. Heat drying is being eliminated. So if you want dry dishes either dry them yourself or run a load overnight and hope that when you empty the washer in the morning the load is dry.
4. Prices are going up because of the energy-saving features no one is demanding.

Keep in mind that the government has already ruined dishwasher detergent by removing phosphates from products available in retail stores.

Although I have figured out ways around that — you can either buy commercial dishwasher detergent (which contains phosphates) or add a teaspoon of commerically available sodium triphosphate with your normal detergent — the fact remains that the government is ruining one of the great time- and money-saving conveniences of the 20th century for no good reason.

http://junkscience.com/2016/01/our-gove ... shwashers/

The ladies in my family with brand new appliances are not happy campers. :realmad: Pay big money and get a lot less. Are we going "backwards"?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

voguy
Pirate

Re: Our government is ruining dishwashers

Post by voguy » 01-16-2016 01:29 PM

All appliances are under attack, even our most important, the toilet. It is not just in the United States, but also Germany and other European countries.

In the case of the toilet; some communities have set their building code to include the amount in gallons of flush water, the volume at which it flushes, and even how soon the tank may be refilled to limit.

Yes, the dishwasher is one of these appliances, as is the washing machine. What I find interesting is the fact that one standard in Europe dictates how much volume must pass in a pipe for the toilet, as compared to the washing machine. Not to be gross, but taking into account the matter which is not the water supplied to the appliance, it doesn't make sense why they specify the volume.

FWIW; on a house that I have in Ohio that I rent to people, I just had to spend $3k for a change in plumbing due to the outflow specifications of the washer. At one time a 1.250" pipe was all that was needed for drain water from the washer. The newer units specify 2.000", and believe me, that 3/4" does make a difference and cause problems.

I'll be glad when all my property is sold and I move up north, and off the public water and sewer systems.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Latest From The Dreamworld Of Green Energy

Post by Riddick » 03-02-2022 02:07 PM

The newest drive of green energy climatistas is to outlaw natural gas appliances & boilers for both residential and commercial buildings. New Jersey is trying to jump on this bandwagon, with an aggressive plan from narrowly re-elected Governor Phil Murphy to replace gas boilers in the state with electric boilers and related equipment (HVAC systems, etc). Turns out reality may intrude. FULL STORY
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Return to “Energy Policy”