We Can't Ignore the Subject Much Longer.... BROKEBACK MOUNTA

Grassroots democracy. We need to secure our country from the global elites. Act now! Get informed.

Moderator: Super Moderators

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 05-23-2009 06:03 PM

I am not a woman, but I love women.
I am not gay, but I love gays.
I am a man and love man.

Guess I will never understand what sexuality has to do with it.

It’s kind of like that race thing that we need to get over.

????????????

If it wasn't school. I would be very depressed.

:)
All hear few listen

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-23-2009 06:53 PM

Oh, but I do not love gays for merely their sexual orientation - or women or men. Was Mother Theresa a sexually oriented woman? Gays have a unique essence across a myriad of expressions.

And I do not like all gays, or all women or all men.

I do not regard gays as 'failed' human beings or deficient or aberrant in any way.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-23-2009 06:58 PM

Originally posted by badspell
I am not a woman, but I love women.
I am a man and love man.

Kind of interesting here why you didn't follow the pattern you had established and state:

I am a man and love men

;)

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 09-07-2009 12:30 AM

Tonight I saw Brokeback Mountain for the first time in three and a half years. It is only three and a half years, but it seems like a full decade ago.

I was somewhat apprehensive about reviewing the movie, since I wondered whether I would think less of it after such a length of time.

I shouldn't have worried. Brokeback Mountain is just as great a film in 2009 as it was in December of 2005. Ang Lee richly deserved his Oscar for directing it, and Larry McMurtry richly deserved his Oscar for the screenplay, a work of art that bears comparison with The Last Picture Show, Terms of Endearment and Lonesome Dove. And oh, that Oscar-winning score, so sparse and yet so rich with emotion...

Brokeback Mountain was clearly the most significant film of 2005, and its stature was enhanced, not diminished, by its failure to win the top Oscar for that year. And the posthumous awarding of the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for 2008 is the Academy's shamefaced recognition that it did wrong in not giving Heath Ledger the Best Actor Oscar for 2005. And oh, what we as an audience have lost by his senseless death a year and a half ago, for Heath Ledger was a truly great actor...

Brokeback Mountain is NOT a gay film. On the contrary, it is a highly believable film about a group of characters in a relatively unusual, but hardly inconceivable, situation. As a work of cinematographic art, above and beyond its relevance to gay-themed issues, the film is going to stand the test of time.

As John Keats wrote, "a thing of beauty is a joy forever." Brokeback Mountain is a thing of beauty, and yes, it will be a joy forever for those people who love movies and who love what only movies can do to enrich our lives...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YLH6-GEUQuU/R ... shirt.jpeg
Last edited by joequinn on 09-07-2009 12:34 AM, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 09-07-2009 01:57 AM

:cool: Amen brother.

Time to break it out again and dare to watch it. This movie is like a novel that challenges your heart and mind to go beyond your normal boundaries of what love really is and the pain that it can cost.
Well, better late than never, I suppose... Joe Quinn. ;)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 09-07-2009 05:35 AM

Bless you for those words, vigo.

I may watch this again soon, too. It was truly emotionally difficult for me the first time. I sat there in the darkness of the theater holding my daughter's hand and cried for my brother, for what he had endured in his life that I saw mirrored in this film. She and I both cried. Now he is gone. It's been three years now since we lost him. He is a spirit on the winds. The copy of this film that I now own, and would watch, was his. I suspect it will be as emotionally difficult for me to watch again, maybe more so. But perhaps I should... and remember.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 09-07-2009 12:15 PM

I also watched Brokeback Mountain about a week ago, not an easy thing...

Joolz I hope that it will help you to watch this movie again, I know how much you must miss your brother.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-25-2011 08:24 PM

Joe my dear friend, thank you so much for this thread, you put your heart and soul into it and it was much appreciated.

Miss you and will love you always, hope we will meet again one day in the great beyond.:)

jimmyjimmers
Pirate

Re:

Post by jimmyjimmers » 06-20-2016 07:00 PM

badspell wrote:I am not a woman, but I love women.
I am a man and love man.

Guess I will never understand what sexuality has to do with it.

It’s kind of like that race thing that we need to get over.

????????????

If it wasn't school. I would be very depressed.

:)
For some people, their race and/or sexuality is an integral part of their experience as a human being and has affected how they have been treated by the outside world.

Return to “American Survival”