Town Considers Forcing 100-Gallon-Per-Person Water Limit

Grassroots democracy. We need to secure our country from the global elites. Act now! Get informed.

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Town Considers Forcing 100-Gallon-Per-Person Water Limit

Post by SETIsLady » 04-07-2008 01:41 PM

OAKLAND, Fla. -- A small town in Central Florida is considering forcing a 100-gallon-per-person daily limit on water for its residents.

Some residents in Oakland, which is located south of Apopka, are outraged over the proposed limit on water and said the rapid growth in the area must stop until there is no longer a shortage.

"I don't understand why they are allowing them to still build if the water supply is not there," Oakland resident "Susan" said. "And, why should we be cut?"

"What bothers me is when I get my bill and it is $50 or $100 and then they say, you can't use this much water," Angela Cardon said.

The proposal comes days after Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty said that if the county does not have a 40 percent reduction in water use, the aquifer will not have enough water to sustain the county.

Similar to surrounding cities, water bills in Oakland order "no watering on any day between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. or face a $500 fine."

Local 6 reported that an average resident can use up to 90 gallons of water before leaving the house for the day.

"If the growth stops today and we don't build another house, you're still going to have a water problem," Commissioner Willie Welch said. "People are going to have to learn to save (water)."

"Stop building and adding more and more and taking away from us," Susan said. "I don't think it is right."

Commissioners are proposing a 500,000 gallon water tank, Local 6 has learned.

http://www.local6.com/news/15811993/detail.html

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 04-07-2008 02:52 PM

I was under water rations the first year 2 years I lived in Berkeley, Ca.....300 gallon limit per day......if you went over the limit it was a 500 dollar fine, I moved there in the middle of a five year drought, everytime my son got into the shower I had to scream at him, turn off the water.

majda
Pirate

Re: Town Considers Forcing 100-Gallon-Per-Person Water Limit

Post by majda » 04-07-2008 03:25 PM

SETIsLady wrote:
"I don't understand why they are allowing them to still build if the water supply is not there," Oakland resident "Susan" said. "And, why should we be cut?"

Ah yes! Man's greed and stupidity never ceases to amaze. People are elected or appointed by citizens to 'plan' for their communities. The only thing government workers plan however, is how to get their next raise, thus the folly of over-development goes on and on, because more development puts more money in the government coffers. It is no different in places like So. California, or Las Vegas than it is in Oakland, Florida. Money rules, not common sense. Las Vegas and the greater Los Angeles areas have practically sucked the Colorado River dry, and both are now looking to other places to suck dry. But still, the building continues in the name of the almighty dollar! :mad:
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 04-07-2008 03:49 PM

I predict that in the not too distant future, we will have MANY "water wars" across the country. Arizona, Nevada, and California are such gluttons for building more than the water supply can reasonably cover. It's about to get really ugly. Poor planning, uncontrolled greed, indifferent developers, and then there are those well-heeled people who say, "There's NO WATER SHORTAGE as long as you can pay what it takes to get it to you." (They're the ones who are buying the new properties in the middle of the desert where there IS no water at this time!)
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-08-2008 10:57 AM

...am so glad to have these "ugly" looking water barrels to catch rain water -- for later use during dry months.... too bad they do not encourage stuff in these areas where they do not get a lot of rain, but have such dry times. They do get some rain and if more homes and areas caught the rain water coming from the roofs -- might help.

DesertSage
Pirate

Re: Re: Town Considers Forcing 100-Gallon-Per-Person Water L

Post by DesertSage » 04-08-2008 01:22 PM

majda wrote: Ah yes! Man's greed and stupidity never ceases to amaze. People are elected or appointed by citizens to 'plan' for their communities. The only thing government workers plan however, is how to get their next raise, thus the folly of over-development goes on and on, because more development puts more money in the government coffers. It is no different in places like So. California, or Las Vegas than it is in Oakland, Florida. Money rules, not common sense. Las Vegas and the greater Los Angeles areas have practically sucked the Colorado River dry, and both are now looking to other places to suck dry. But still, the building continues in the name of the almighty dollar! :mad:
In Las Vegas, the citizenry has NEVER been able to convince the local and state governments to just STOP issuing building permits for a year and get a grip on sustainability. The housing developers have our local governments in their pockets as proven by the rash of indictments two years ago.

"Las Vegas was little more than a dusty railroad stop when the Colorado was parceled out in the 1920s and Nevada wound up with a 2 percent share.

Today, the Las Vegas Valley is home to 2 million people and 90 percent of its water supply comes from the Colorado River. (LVRJ)"

Technically, we have WAY MORE than 2 million people in the valley. We have over 39 MILLION visitors a year, so add in another 3 million+ per month/day that we know about.

Even though we use 2% and we are 'banking' with Arizona for future use, we can't still can't get a grip on our water usage. SAD and dangerous and stupid.
"Wanting everything in life to be perfect before you take action is like wanting to reach a destination without travel."

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 04-08-2008 02:10 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: ...am so glad to have these "ugly" looking water barrels to catch rain water -- for later use during dry months.... too bad they do not encourage stuff in these areas where they do not get a lot of rain, but have such dry times. They do get some rain and if more homes and areas caught the rain water coming from the roofs -- might help.

You are spot on Cherry. This captured water is so much better for watering plants and animals. A distiller or quality water filter can even make it drinkable.
All hear few listen

SquidInk

Re: Re: Re: Town Considers Forcing 100-Gallon-Per-Person Wat

Post by SquidInk » 04-08-2008 02:31 PM

Here is an additional problem with groundwater in Nevada, and possibly the greater SouthWest... RADIOACTIVITY!!

Also, RAINWATER COLLECTION SYSTEMS are discouraged in many municipalities due to the idea that catching the water on-site interferes with a system of downstream priorities regarding "water rights"! In other words, many towns require citizens to allow water to run off, and into the larger water system, so it can be returned to those same citizens by way of a "water meter", and so be taxed.:mad:

All the more reason to install one.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

majda
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: Town Considers Forcing 100-Gallon-Per-Person Wat

Post by majda » 04-08-2008 03:27 PM

DesertSage wrote: In Las Vegas, the citizenry has NEVER been able to convince the local and state governments to just STOP issuing building permits for a year and get a grip on sustainability. The housing developers have our local governments in their pockets as proven by the rash of indictments two years ago.

"Las Vegas was little more than a dusty railroad stop when the Colorado was parceled out in the 1920s and Nevada wound up with a 2 percent share.

Today, the Las Vegas Valley is home to 2 million people and 90 percent of its water supply comes from the Colorado River. (LVRJ)"

Technically, we have WAY MORE than 2 million people in the valley. We have over 39 MILLION visitors a year, so add in another 3 million+ per month/day that we know about.

Even though we use 2% and we are 'banking' with Arizona for future use, we can't still can't get a grip on our water usage. SAD and dangerous and stupid.

Las Vegas, (and Pahrump I might add) are also looking to the Amargosa Valley to suck their huge natural underground fresh water system dry! Of course, Vegas will win. In Nevada, money is king isn't it? And what will happen to the people in Amargosa and the surrounding areas when their wells run dry? The answer in Vegas... "Who cares?" I sometimes think that homo sapiens, as a species, deserves to go extinct! Perhaps then the earth would have a chance.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 04-08-2008 03:31 PM

First oil, then grain. Water is the next national resource that agribusiness is going to monopolize and on which it will raise prices sky-high! One to three years tops, you'll see...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Return to “American Survival”