World's first web page recreated 20 years on

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

megman
Parrothead

World's first web page recreated 20 years on

Post by megman » 04-30-2013 12:02 PM

The world's first web page will be dragged out of cyberspace and restored for today's Internet browsers as part of a project to celebrate 20 years of the Web, organisers said on Tuesday.

The European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) said it had begun recreating the website that launched that World Wide Web, as well as the hardware that made the groundbreaking technology possible.

The world's first website was about the technology itself, according to CERN, allowing early browsers to learn about the new system and create their own web pages.

The project will allow future generations to understand the origin and importance of the Web and its impact on modern life, CERN web manager Dan Noyes told AFP.

"We're going to put these things back in place, so that a web developer or someone who's interested 100 years from now can read the first documentation that came out from the World Wide Web team," he said.

The project was launched to mark the 20th anniversary of CERN making the World Wide Web available to the world for free.

British physicist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web, also called W3 or just the Web, at CERN in 1989 to help physicists to share information, but at the time it was just one of several such information retrieval systems using the Internet.

"It's one of the biggest days in the history of the Web," Noyes said of April 30, 1993.

"CERN's gesture of giving away the Web for free was what made it just explode."

Noyes said that other information sharing systems that had wanted to charge royalties, like the University of Minnesota's Gopher, had "just sort of disappeared into history".

By making the birth of the Web visible again, the CERN team aims to emphasise the idea of freedom and openness it was built on, Noyes said.

"In the early days, you could just go in and take the code and make it your own and improve it. That is something we have all benefitted from," he said.

While CERN was not promoting any specific ideology, "we want to preserve that idea of openness and freedom to collect and collaborate," said Noyes.

http://www.newsdaily.com/article/c42958 ... 0-years-on

Here's a link to the project: CERN: First web site
Last edited by megman on 04-30-2013 12:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-01-2013 10:32 AM

hehe cool idea. I am trying to find my first webpage, I can't even figure out what year it was, but it was around 1996 or so as far as I can tell. It was just a family page on our ISP's server.

The first page I got paid to make was in 1999.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-01-2013 10:34 AM

I have a webpage advertising my search engine optimization services that existed before Google was incorporated. Hard to believe so much has changed.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-01-2013 05:52 PM

I bet Noyes had something to do with the first radio boxes too! :nod:
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Return to “FF IT Tech”