From Art: Update

Moderator: Super Moderators

Art Bell
The East

From Art: Update

Post by Art Bell » 06-05-2006 01:12 AM

Hi all!

Hello from Manila, Philippines! I would like to give you all a update. I arrived here with a big case of the Flu which is just now
starting to fade. (3) trips from one side of the world to the other will do that.

We are very happy and living in a very nice Condo here in Manila. The Condo was empty and we slept on the floor for the first (3) days. We are now all but done with the furniture and so forth, wow what a job.

During this period I have also been trying to deal with Customs here with regard to the gear the company sent. Being a large and (honest) company they declared the stuff Broadcast gear, bad mistake because it triggers a lot of official paperwork with the Gov't. The gear of course is really just audio and telephone.
The second thing they did was include original new price invoices for everything, Customs really loved that! So, with enough Peso's that problem is just about in hand. The next issue is the I.S.D.N line with is to be installed by P.L.D.T the telephone co here. I will know shortly when that will happen.

Nothing here happens as fast as I would like, however this Broadcaster is very much ready to get back on the air A.S.A.P.

For those of you who may think I made a mistake in this move, you are wrong, it is a wonderful change that I will never be sorry for. The people here are friendly in a way that you would have to travel back in time in the U.S. to match, perhaps to the 1950s or so. The cost of living is about 25% of what it is in the U.S. Everybody speaks English as a second language and EVERYTHING is written in English.

As for TV and radio, well I have CNN, HBO, Cinemax, and many other U.S. TV
here on our local cable which also provides a high speed Internet connection. I have (3) computers on a 802.11G wireless connection.

I will send a picture taken from my office window to the Webmaster here and I hope he can post it for you.

Airyn is well indeed and we are very happy, we took a short plane ride to her home in Cagayan De Oro City last week.
We also went to visit Corrigedor where
Gen Mc Arthur made his famous " I shall return" statement. I saw all the barracks and big guns still on the Island. Of course it was also the location of the Death March. Trust me, you could feel all the Ghosts.

It is now the rainy season here, it started a bit early. There are only (2) seasons here....Summer and the Rainy season this close to the Equator.

After Ramona passed I was in a tailspin which would have resulted my own demise had this Angel not come along. I was not eating and despite my on air sound, believe me I was in a very deep depression. So, in retrospect, I have done the right thing. I am about to quit smoking, this may cause my demise, or it may add a few years, I will hope for the latter! Wish me luck, I will need it. As it is, I only now smoke in the comfort room with a fan on. (That is what they call a bathroom here).

I am a resident of the Philippines now having joined the PRA, check Google for details. That means I can come and go as I like without all that Visa stuff. It also has many other benefits. This should be the number one spot for American Retirement but Americans read the State dept. warnings about the southern Islands and conclude it is for the whole country, that is totally wrong.

Sorry for the long ramble but I have still not told all there is to tell about this wonderful place. Please feel free to email me at [email protected].

As for getting back on air I am very much wanting it to happen fast but I think it will still be a bit.

I have most of my Ham gear here but have not yet tried to get a antenna up, I am only one floor from the roof so I have high hopes that I will be able to get a antenna up there. (200ft)

I am on Echolink (using VR2HF) for you Hams.

That is about it for the moment but now that I have my password again I will continue to update you on progress. I would be happy to answer any questions any of you may have. Please feel free to cross post this at other locations. I am indeed keeping the house in Pahrump, however my RV and all cars are for sale, please contact Paul at: [email protected] for more info. The vehicles are all cherry. More soon.

Thank you all,

Art Bell

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 06-05-2006 01:15 AM

Thanks for the update, Art. :)

Best Wishes to you and Airyn, always. :)
racehorse

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 06-05-2006 01:21 AM

Damn Art, three computers on a 802.11G wireless connection? Blazing a path!

Good to hear from you. take your time and set it up right; we'll still be here. :cool:

Starbuck
Pirate

Post by Starbuck » 06-05-2006 01:21 AM

Thanks for the Update Art

hope to hear you on the radio soon :)

blackeyes
Pirate

Post by blackeyes » 06-05-2006 01:23 AM

Great to hear from you Art. Miss your voice. Get well.

blackeyes

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 06-05-2006 01:25 AM

And Art, feel free to ramble on at any time. If you should again misplace your password, e-mail me directly at [email protected]

Titan
Pirate

Post by Titan » 06-05-2006 01:27 AM

Thanks for the update Art,great to here you and Airyn are doing fine.Get well soon.
Titan
Reno,Nevada
"Midnite in the High Desert"

Fish
Pirate

Post by Fish » 06-05-2006 01:28 AM

Hi Art and Airyn, glad to hear you're both OK - I was wondering what had happened to you. Hope you're staying dry with all the downpours we are having lately - it will be like this for a while now and we'll be getting some typhoons later in the year. All the best wishes to you both. God Bless!!

nitenative
Pirate

Post by nitenative » 06-05-2006 01:30 AM

HOORAY! We needed this post for a shot to our morale! Thanks Art and we will be waiting....

Best wishes and blessings in Love and Light,
Nitenative

:)

daboodaddy
Pirate

Post by daboodaddy » 06-05-2006 01:43 AM

Beat wishes, Art!:)
Question EVERYTHING, even your OWN thoughts.
A "Daboodaddyism"

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-05-2006 01:55 AM

Photo from Art of view from his office in condo.

Will see if Dale can put up a larger version in the FF Gallery.

Beautiful view...

spaceprophet
Pirate

Post by spaceprophet » 06-05-2006 01:57 AM

Art, you really sound like you're bouncing back from the tragedy nicely. Good for you brother!

You also sound eager to jump back in there on the radio. Amen to that brother, especially from us long time fans! I think that will be very therapeutic for you as well. Besides, you're the all-time best in the world hands down at it and it can do nothing but elevate you mind, body, and spirit. You were born to do it.

Enjoy your new world Art. You deserve it. And bring on the future. I'm ridin shotgun.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. - Jack Handey

earthist
Pirate

Post by earthist » 06-05-2006 01:59 AM

Sounds great, Art! With envy and anticipation for your return to the air, I send Best Wishes!:p
Any time you get something for nothing, it means that someone, somewhere, got nothing for something.

knightowl04
Pirate

My first post

Post by knightowl04 » 06-05-2006 02:14 AM

Ok so this is my first post on the fantastic forum and Im just going to jump right in.

Great to hear the update Art... cant wait for your return!

Been listening for close to 13 years and been hooked from the first night. Its hard to make it through a night without c2c (not like I miss a show very often if I can help it).

Hope everything continues to move forward smoothly...

All the best

:D

moonchild2
Pirate

Post by moonchild2 » 06-05-2006 02:27 AM

Art, thanks so much for the update! Good to hear that you are happy and well. Waiting in great anitcipation for your return to the airwaves.

You and I are the same age and I quit smoking one week ago. I have smoked since my teens and loved smoking. But if it is something you really want to do, it makes it easier. I feel better even after just one week. Good luck with it Art!

Return to “Art Bell Archive”