Art to Manila?

Moderator: Super Moderators

Swerdloc
Pirate

Art to Manila?

Post by Swerdloc » 02-21-2009 05:47 PM

I was in a subscriber chat on Unknowncountry.com this afternoon with John Hogue, and Anne Strieber mentioned that she and Whitley recently visited the Bells in Pahrump. She said that Art was planning to move to Manila, she thought permanently.
Anchors Aweigh

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-21-2009 05:52 PM

This is not good news......of course it doesn't mean he can't do shows from Manilla.....:(

Linnea

Posted this in the ORR

Post by Linnea » 02-21-2009 05:56 PM

..and want to re-post it here:

quote:Originally posted by Swerdloc
"
"I'm in agreement, racehorse, we do create our own reality. If we collectively choose to act and think in a positive way, we can make it so.

On a related note--I was just in a subscriber chat on Unknowncountry.com, and Anne Strieber mentioned that she and Whitley recently visited the Bells in Pahrump. And that Art was planning to move to Manila, she thought permanently." (end quote)

Getting on with solutions is something we can do well here in the US. We are a pragmatic people when our backs are against the wall. America is uniquely situated, in terms of resources, temperament, optimism, creativity, community and attitude - to usher in a new global renaissance. It has already begun and is underway. We just have not heard much about it, yet.

Do not know what Art is planning. He will do what he feels he needs to do. I wish he could see his way to having more faith in the US. It will be a blow to all of us if he retires permanently to Manila. His would be a powerful voice here, for the upcoming changes.

Wish Art could come back on the air with an interview with Michio Kaku and his thoughts on the state of the world...

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 02-21-2009 06:45 PM

Michio Kaku is one of my favorite guest. Art interviewing Michio is the best of both worlds!

As Linnea Posted

Getting on with solutions is something we can do well here in the US. We are a pragmatic people when our backs are against the wall. America is uniquely situated, in terms of resources, temperament, optimism, creativity, community and attitude - to usher in a new global renaissance. It has already begun and is underway. We just have not heard much about it, yet.

Start now my friends with a simple seed in the windowsill. We can do it…..even better than our ancestors. We have there wisdom.:)
All hear few listen

WestBorder
Pirate

Post by WestBorder » 02-21-2009 07:37 PM

Shirleypal wrote: This is not good news......of course it doesn't mean he can't do shows from Manilla.....:(

Art did say last night that he was taking steps to protect his family and that he would not discuss them on the air. However, with Art nothing, and I mean nothing, is ever as it seems. Until I hear it from Art, I'll hold it as simply a possibility.
Anchors Aweigh!

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 02-21-2009 07:53 PM

WestBorder wrote: Art did say last night that he was taking steps to protect his family and that he would not discuss them on the air. However, with Art nothing, and I mean nothing, is ever as it seems. Until I hear it from Art, I'll hold it as simply a possibility.

I think that's a wise course. I was just reporting a remark Anne made in passing, for whatever it's worth. She didn't state it like an announcement, rather as, "Oh, we were visiting the Bells recently, and...." without elaboration.
Anchors Aweigh

WestBorder
Pirate

Post by WestBorder » 02-21-2009 08:23 PM

Swerdloc wrote: I think that's a wise course. I was just reporting a remark Anne made in passing, for whatever it's worth. She didn't state it like an announcement, rather as, "Oh, we were visiting the Bells recently, and...." without elaboration.
Good call, Bill. Frankly, I don't think Art really knows what he is going to do yet. I don't think the Philippines would be any safer than the United States. Besides, if Art had a move planned and in the works, he would tell us here. Art lives so much on instinct and impulse that you never know what he will do from one moment to the next...
Anchors Aweigh!

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 02-24-2009 12:46 AM

Art, please stay in the United States. We need you here and so does your family. Staying safe yourself is the best way to protect your family. The Philippines is too dangerous for you right now.

----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerhe ... n-Mindanao

Radioman killed in Mindanao

Philippine Daily Inquirer

First Posted 10:43:00 02/24/2009

Filed Under: Media killings, Crime, Media

OROQUIETA CITY— Two masked men shot dead a hard-hitting, table-pounding radio broadcaster in Misamis Occidental province on Monday while he was on his way to his daily talk show, police said.

Ernie Rollin, 52, is the second radio broadcaster murdered this year in the Philippines, considered by international media groups as one of the dangerous places in the world for journalists.

A total of 63 Filipino journalists have been killed since President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo took office in January 2001, according to a Philippine Daily Inquirer tally. Most killings remain unsolved, and convictions are few.

“We’re still looking at all probable motives behind this killing,” Chief Supt. Danilo Empedrad, police director of Northern Mindanao, told reporters.

“We’re not ruling out any angles, including the possibility it could be work-related,” Empedrad said.

He said investigators had recovered four spent shells from a .45 cal. automatic near Rollin’s body.

The attack happened about 5:30 a.m. on Monday at a gas station along the national highway in Barangay Talic. Every day, Rollin would leave his motorcycle there and take a 45-minute bus ride to Ozamis City where he hosted a 7:30 a.m.-9 a.m. program on radio dxSY-AM during weekdays.

“I was not expecting Ernie to be the target,” Rollin’s live-in partner Ligaya told radio dxSY-AM.

From their house in Transville subdivision, Ligaya said Rollin dropped her off at a waiting shed before parking his motorcycle at the gas station.

Out of nowhere, two motorcycle-riding men in bonnets appeared and went for the broadcaster, according to witnesses. Three shots rang out.

Ligaya said she rushed to where Rollin fell. “I did not immediately notice he was bloodied,” she recalled.

As she tried to lift Rollin, one of the gunmen stopped her and shot the broadcaster in the forehead. The two gunmen left Rollin sprawled in a pool of blood.

According to an autopsy report, Rollin also suffered a gunshot wound in both his arms and another in the back.

Ligaya told local radio that she didn’t know of anyone who would want to kill Rollin, a broadcaster noted for his table-pounding antics inside the radio booth.

Joy Reyes of dxSy, however, said the killing may be related to Rollin’s morning talk show, which the victim had hosted for the past eight years and which discussed corruption and crime.

Rollin also did weekend commentaries and handled programming at radio dxRA-FM in Oroquieta City. During election season, he also served as spokesperson for various local politicians.

Investigative stories and radio commentaries about drug trafficking, gambling, corruption and other illegal activities involving officials often put journalists at risk.

Corruption in the media, with underpaid journalists sometimes taking bribes, also places them in danger from disgruntled paymasters or their rivals.

In January, Badroddin Abbas, a part-time radio broadcaster and Muslim peace activist, was killed in an ambush in Cotabato City.

----
Reports from Ryan Rosauro, Inquirer Mindanao; Reuters and Agence France-Presse
racehorse

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 02-24-2009 02:42 AM

I can understand Art's thinking about this. He is not a young man and yet he has a young family. If something were to happen to him where would that leave Airyn and Asia? His wife is not a citizen, she has little understanding of the legal system here, and even if Art were to leave everything in trust he has too many posers and hangers-on who would want to swoop in and "help" Airyn. In the Philippines she would be surrounded by family who give her love and support not the greed and avarice she might encounter here.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-24-2009 04:30 AM

Yes, but there is no way to protect her from greed or avarice anywhere. She is an intelligent, educated woman - and would be much safer here in the US. She also has a sister and brother in law nearby (Arkansas).

God, I hope he does not move to the Philippines.

The US will be the best place to be in a global economic downturn.

Return to “Art Bell Archive”