MAD in MALI DAILY DIARY

The adventure continues...

Moderator: Super Moderators

MAD
Pirate

MAD in MALI DAILY DIARY

Post by MAD » 12-24-2007 09:40 PM

We decided to watch our DVD "TAKEN", again. This series is many hours long. Tonight, Christmas eve, a quiet evening was distracted by loud sounds like gun shots! After three years in Israel, we do not leave any unusual and disturbing sounds unchecked.
So after looking out our windows and listening for any more unusual sounds...we decided to do the real intelligent thing....go on the roof!

Wonderful to report those "noises" were fireworks. Because there were few sounds and not the usual sounds of one firerocket after firestar, it never occured that those were the sounds of fireworks.

The moon is full and ever so bright on this city of Bamako. No snow, no Christmas lights, no husle and busle of shoppers and certainly no carolers here. Most certainly, very few Christians!

Silent night, is truley silent here, except for the occational fireworks. Someone is pronouncing a meaningful event.

I've seen the moon before, and I have enjoyed the quiet night of Christmas eve before.

This was my first Christmas in Africa.....a Silent Night indeed.

Peace on Earth
Last edited by MAD on 12-24-2007 09:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-24-2007 10:01 PM

Good evening MAD......lucky you....loved the series Taken....one of these days I am going to buy it, saw it twice on TV.....started to record it but never finished....fun way to spend a holiday.

MAD
Pirate

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Post by MAD » 12-31-2007 05:57 PM

Quiet day, coolest weather so far. Breezes in the banana trees and the birds were everywhere and singing. Last night was cold.
However, now at almost 11 pm many people are out and about this is unusual for a monday night.
My neighbor who is a recording artist is singing and the drums are accompanying and the rhythm is catchy. Across the street the folks are out in the third floor patio, must be a party tonight. I hear laughter and French and likely some Bambara being spoken. Oh and the ever so popular RAP music. Yeah, you heard right. They love music here, blues, native rhythms and rap.
Firecrackers are going off, all over town. Likely their will be some fireworks later.
Me I am ready for bed so that I get up early to listen to Art and the second day of predictions.
One of my guards left for a month holiday he is Dogon, that is his tribe. He will be traveling to his community. Historically very artistic culture with wood. Dogon are known to wear blue robes and scarves.
I think all this activity will be going on for awhile. I hear more firecrackers.
:eek:

Captain Fantastic
DREAD PIRATE

Post by Captain Fantastic » 01-25-2008 11:17 PM

What's gnu in Bamako?

:p

MAD
Pirate

MAD WORLD

Post by MAD » 02-17-2008 09:21 AM

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein ~

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-17-2008 11:11 AM

IvyQ
Pirate

Post by IvyQ » 02-17-2008 06:45 PM

very moving MAD...

sad world :(

MAD
Pirate

TO ALL THOSE THAT HAVE EXPERIENCED DEATH OF A LOVED ONE

Post by MAD » 02-24-2008 05:55 PM

"I am standing on the seashore.

A ship spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts ocean.
I stand watching her until she fades on the horizon, and someone at my side says, "She is gone."

Gone, where?

The loss of sight is in me, not in her.

Just at the moment when someone says, "She is gone," others are watching her coming.

Other voices take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

That is dying.

--Henry Scott Holland
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle.

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Re: TO ALL THOSE THAT HAVE EXPERIENCED DEATH OF A LOVED ONE

Post by Psychicwolf » 02-26-2008 04:19 PM

MAD wrote: "I am standing on the seashore.

A ship spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts ocean.
I stand watching her until she fades on the horizon, and someone at my side says, "She is gone."

Gone, where?

The loss of sight is in me, not in her.

Just at the moment when someone says, "She is gone," others are watching her coming.

Other voices take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

That is dying.

--Henry Scott Holland
That is beautiful, and that is truth. ;)
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

MAD
Pirate

GRANDMERE

Post by MAD » 03-19-2008 10:26 AM

In this world of life and death, one experiences the lost of loved ones and those we know briefly. Such is the case this week.

Across the street from me is the house of the Diplomat from Somalia. We care for our elderly parents and watch over them as they cared for us. Our responsibility ends when they leave us, and we do not look forward to that day.

One day while walking around my home, picking up litter and such items people discard freely in this country, I noticed my neighbors guard sitting outside the heavy metal security entrance door. The formidable doors, such as I have are found in the more prestigious properties. It indicates someone of wealth. The major part of our population is very poor and live in shanties made of bamboo reeds and lumber. People that live in these homes with metal doors have much, that we take for granted. Rooms for dining, kitchen, and bedrooms and usually a very large living room. The necessities like running water and bathroom plumbing. We live here with air conditioning and butane stove and ceiling fans. Many as they grow older tolerate the lack of amenities they have lived there long lives without.

Such is the story of Grandmere. She prefered sitting outside the door, in the shade for hours. Her labor done, and her family caring for her, she now had time to daydream and nap during the lazy afternoon as she watched others passing by. I was one of those in her view, and we would wonder about each other. I wondered where she came from, and what importance she accomplished in her long life. What was her name? I called her Grandmere and she responded with a smile.

Good morning Grandmere. How are you today? It is a beautiful day. She tried to speak, preferring to leave her words to herself. She, however, watched me as I picked up plastic bags and such items around my side of the street. I bet the occassional herd of sheep running free from around the corner gave her much excitment.

The locals passed by with interesting baskets of fruit on their heads, and sometime one would be singing.

Last night, close to 10pm I heard noises from the street. My guard rang my doorbell and I was wondering what the problem could be. Nightime one may hear music from homes with parties or celebrations. Firecrackers were everywhere during new years and Christmas nights, but this was the sound of cars and people taling. Esmail had to tell me the news, that Grandmere died. He was concerned about vehicles parking in front of our gate which would block the Jeep. I was not concerned, they may park as long as we can drive out in morning. My French is allways challenged at these times, when my words are so elementary. I wanted the family to know how sad it was to lose someone like a parent and a grandmother. I was glad to see Esmial her young grandson who spoke very good English, we called him over.(Esmial is a popular name)

She died of embolism and had been in the hospital this past week. I knew she was in hospital, but she was eating and alert and we expected her to return. Muslim custom is immediate burial, so festivities will start in morning. I told her Grandson , Peace be to you. We agreed we loved our grandmothers very much and how sad to see them leave.

All day today the activites have been going on inside four large tents set up in the streets with hundreds of chairs, even a few sofas for guests. The most noticable is the loud speaker used for continuous speaking and prayers. I understand food is coming later and that event will conclude about 4pm. I wish I could understand all they say, I am sure something is about this delightful old lady that enjoyed her rest in front of this mansion watching people walk by.

I remember how she watched me, and smiled at me and I at her, greeting each other during another warm day. I never took her picture. Another reminder to take the moments when they come. Do not hesitate to do it. You may miss something, that will no longer be there. Say what you have to say, now. I will miss this person I know so little about.

I hope she was delighted with me as I with her. That she was comforted by her thoughts each day as I am comforted by remembrances of my Grandmother. I hope she lived in the moment as I lived in the moment each time I walked out my door, knowing she will be there.

Grandmere will be there no more.

Go in peace
Last edited by MAD on 03-19-2008 10:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 03-19-2008 12:13 PM

I suspect through her reaction to you she knew you as a friend. I am sorry about your loss of her smiling face. She is beyond mere human words so now you can greet her whenever you like and know that what you say to her needs no translation.:)
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

MAD
Pirate

MUST BE A FRENCH THING

Post by MAD » 07-03-2008 10:08 PM

I've lived in different countries and have hired gardeners. It is understood among Americans and others that you have two choices....care of garden the way they care for it and then your way. I lived in farming community for almost 25 years and I have some knowledge about planting and tending flower and fruit trees. (here I have no vegtable gardening they come plentiful from other places) Difference of opinion on watering techniques and treatment of fruit trees, were interesting.

I have spent lots of time training my gardener and worked along side of him. Is a totally different perspective. Care of plants, symmetry of growth, respect of plants transplanting with care. Here it is, not all of us are gardeners, not all of us are farmers.
If one does this work by choice he will tend toward the techniques learned from his family or his experiences, whether they are the most effective, practicle, or scientific. If it is just a job because jobs are scarce, it loses its importance. There is gardening and then there is gardening.

I did not learn to plant anything until I was over 24 years old. It was Foxfire and other books and my husband that I learned the difference between a weed and an herb. You got to want to learn how. Now in Illinois it is a business and many farmers who did the work had paperwork and financing to deal with. Those farmers are bright fellas, some more rich than others.

Now my young gardener is very happy to do what I tell him. When left alone he may not do or see what I would like. He is happy to show up four days a week and do what he thinks needs to be done and get paid. He has no problem with aphids or arranging this or that. That part about making a decission without being told, is very difficult to convey. Indeed.

In the scheme of things, it is just not that important. I don't see my neighbors watering their plants, I don't see them planting anything. Vegtable gardens are along the Niger river, is something I should go see more closely. The official buildings in the city have very trimmed manicured gardens, pruned trees, weed free lawns, even hedges, flowers everywhere...must be a French thing.

MAD IN MALI

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 07-03-2008 10:15 PM

Ahhh...the Foxfire books. Brings back memories, MAD....

"Gardening" seems to belong to a life of leisure compared to "maintaining" (i.e., mowing, edging, trimming shrubs, etc.). The latter is labor, the former is a labor of love. I would much rather "garden."
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Return to “MAD'S Mali Journal”