The adventure continues...

Moderator: Super Moderators

MAD
Pirate

MAD in MALI Journal #2 Aug 28, 2007

Post by MAD » 12-21-2007 07:37 PM

MAD in MALI Journal #2 Aug 28, 2007

JOURNEY TO HONOR MY FATHER

New York City is a place I have visited many times, but this visit was to become much more. We had our tickets for Africa, and our schedule did not allow us to attend the Blasco Family reunion in Yonkers, New York. However, my medical situation changed all that and surgery was set for the 29thof August. I now had time to take a train to New York City and then a subway to Yonkers, for a reunion.

I arrived on the 16th and the drive through Yonkers brought many memories of past visits so many years ago. In 1982, I attended my first Family reunion. I did visit briefly in October 2001. We were in the States after living in Armenia for two years. While my husband attended training in Washington, DC, I wanted to see ground zero and visit my cousin Bob. Our next post was Moscow, Russia and I had no idea when I would return to New York.

Pulling up to Bob’s house, we immediately started in to work. I helped to put up the tent, raked some areas, and met a few new faces. What is it about meeting someone again after decades, and recalling past meetings and learning about my relation to whom? Many will be meeting me for the first time, too!

Family reunions allow one to become acquainted with your family history. The best of reunions must include food and there was the sauerkraut, kielbasa, and perogis and desserts. Everyone arrived on Saturday, some driving hours to attend. I had most fun with talking, music, food and my trusted camcorder. My father’s family are very good people, all were friendly and kind. It is wonderful to meet family, our extended relatives and to know you are part of something. The children were so delightful and all of them so attractive and intelligent. It was amazing to me how many worked in the sciences and had some musical abilities.

Evelyn and John invited me to stay at their home. Ann, just a year or so older than I, was such fun to talk with. My godfather was Uncle Joe, and his daughter Laura attended with all her family. I had not seen Laura since she held me at my christening sixty-two years ago! Bob was pleased with the gathering and so was I. Many, who have long passed, became part of the conversations.

This was not just a reunion, to me it was a journey. Days later, I found myself thinking of my mom and dad and my children. I knew that this reunion had been a journey, a journey to honor my father and that made me happy.

This was a very good journey.
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein ~

MAD
Pirate

NOSTALGIC

Post by MAD » 12-21-2007 09:55 PM

NOVEMBER 23, 2007

A family reunion, is the thing to do before going overseas. You get an awareness of your own origins and roots to your own home country.

Traditions and foods you learned to fix from Grandma, become more meaningful when you are away.

One can become very nostalgic, on distant trips.
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein ~

Return to “MAD'S Mali Journal”