Crunchers Break Room...

Seti Team Art Bell

Moderator: Super Moderators

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 08-20-2006 08:40 PM

Those are great photos. Got them several months ago, and a few of my friends (who evidently DON'T back-up on a daily basis) had crashes, and they're always asking me if I can re-send the photos. Luckily, I DO back-up every day... and I CA re-send!!!

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 09-03-2006 03:19 PM

[email][email protected][/email] wrote: So pam you have a AMD FX CPU thats going to be a wokhorse CPU.

Well, I have to say, I haven't been as happy with it as with the Pentium D 960 on Seti. And I'm not impressed with the FX-60's numbers under Windows as I was under Linux. So I may not be activating Windows on this system. I just downloaded the KB896256 hotfix and AMD Athlon X2 driver today, so I will see how that affects the performance. It runs 42 degrees C idle and 61 degrees C under load according to PC Probe.

lm sensors says the Pentium D 960 is running 46 degrees C under load.

To be fair to the FX60, I was running the last few days under Linux with a 5% overclock. lm sensors didn't really work on this board, so once I got Windows on it and saw it was running at 64 degrees C, I was pretty horrified and backed off the OC. I also wiped off the stuff on the processor and heat sink, and reapplied Arctic Silver. The stock heat sink that comes with it is the nicest AMD heat sink I have ever used, you don't need a screwdriver to attach it and it goes on very gently. But I can't help but wonder what it would do if I put the Big Typhoon on it. But then I would have to pull it out of the pink case I got from New Egg. Don't ever buy that pink case. It's the worst case I've ever used. If you want a pink case, buy a nice case and paint it pink.:D That reminds me, I ought to go rate that case.
I wish I had my radio,
I'd tune it to some friendly voices....

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 09-03-2006 08:38 PM

Yeah 64 degrees C is a bit high for any processor...

My AMD dual core 4400+ was running about 51 degrees C with the stock heatsink & fan and a full load... I replaced them with a Thermaltake unit (plus Artic Silver) and gained about 5 degrees C overall...

In a room that is about 80 degrees F idle it runs about 38 degrees C and under full load about 48 degrees C... Since it's so hot here were I live now it's tough to keep the temp down with just a window unit cooling the room... hehe

You might consider a better HSF Pam, don't wanna burn that thing up just running SETI on it...

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 09-03-2006 10:09 PM

You are probably right, Keith. I tried backing off the vcore to 1.30 V from 1.37 and am down to 55 deg C under load. I reseated the heatsink again but I don't think I had too much AS5 on there, there was a perfect layer with no gunk around the edges.

I guess tomorrow's project will be to take it all apart again and put the Big Typhoon on it. I'll be happy if it's under 50 deg C under load, but I don't think it will fit back in the Barbie case. Of course, once I put that on, then I'll have to break my pledge not to overclock anymore.;)
I wish I had my radio,

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 09-27-2006 04:14 AM

I just loaded a new laptop with SETI, I've been hesitant to put SETI on a laptop out of fear of burning it out or doing damage to it, but what the hell I'll never know unless I try :)

Anyway, its an AMD Turon 64 running the stock client. I think I'll give it a couple days, and if all looks well maybe I'll install the mighty Chicken's Opt. Client and go for broke :)

If it seems too warm I'll pull the plug on it, but what the heck, I gotta try and see what I can get out of it :)
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 09-27-2006 06:27 PM

I think you will be ok if you don't set it flat on the desktop. I tilted my laptops up so the air could circulate underneath better. I have run my Pentium M nonstop for four years that way. I had a Pentium 3 laptop that crashed a lot until I stood it on end and set a box fan next to it. I decided to retire that one.

And you can switch to Simon's optimized apps without draining your cache, so no need to wait. Just stop BOINC, pull out the standard app and drop the Chicken app files in the project folder and restart. They say you should always make a backup of your BOINC folder, but I never do. I guess I am careless but nothing bad has happened yet. Except for that one time I stubbornly tried to use a Windows app on a Linux box...............:o
I wish I had my radio,

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 09-27-2006 09:11 PM

The first three WU's returned by the Laptop using the stock client were the fastest in each Quorum, stomping machines twice its speed.

Just added Chicken's Opt Client, if I was getting killer performance with the stock client I'm interested to see what Chicken's Ap. will do on this machine :)

Edit:
Still have the Laptop flat on the desk, but have placed something under each corner so it now sits about two inches above the actual desk, this should allow some air circulation under the notebook.
Last edited by SetiCruncher on 09-27-2006 09:34 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

pcalliance
Pirate

Laptops and Optimized Clients

Post by pcalliance » 09-28-2006 12:01 AM

Good call Cruncher. I have an AMD64 3200 Laptop running Seti (when it is turned on) and it runs downright HOT with the Chicken optimization. No problems as of yet. I just got a new laptop (more for fun than work) that is a core duo 1.67 GHz. So far, I am pretty impressed. It ranks up there with Pentium 4 2.80 GHZ with Chicken running (albeit a little warm as well).

PC

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 10-28-2006 09:56 PM

Quiet section lately...

Anyway, bit of an update on this machine. After 30 days of running this laptop about 10 - 12 hours a day it maintains a RAC around 200 and is still running smoothly without any problems.

One day I had a fan in the laptop go a little crazy when I started BOINC, it was loud and caused a vibration, but shutting the machine the down and rebooting solved the problem. A passing gremlin I guess.

I'm sure if I ran the laptop 24/7 I could easily pull a 400 - 450 RAC from it, not bad for a processor that is quickly being outdated :)
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Top Computers

Post by SetiCruncher » 11-20-2006 08:52 PM

Was just looking at the Top Producing computers involved in the Seti BOINC Project and I can't help but notice that 14 out of the top 20 computers are all Mac's.

I currently have more computer hardware then I have room for, all running various versions of Windows OS'. Despite having no room for more hardware (and no justifyable need for any more computing power) I find myself tempted to pick up a MAC just to see what I can get out of it.

I don't know maybe I should just pull one or two machines out of mothballs and put them back in service, might be alot cheaper then buying another machine that I really don't need :confused:

But, such are the delemma's of us dedicated Crunchers :D
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 11-20-2006 11:17 PM

Yes, those Mac's with Alex Kan's optimized apps have jaw dropping performance. :eek:

I look at them from time to time and look at the prices, and think "I could build x number of Core 2 Duos for that!"

We have the quad core QX6700 around the corner, although two or three guys at Seti have it now, and I'd like to know their secret supplier because all I can find right now is pre-order from Amazon.com, of all places. But for $1124 I could build............

:D
I wish I had my radio,

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 11-21-2006 04:53 AM

Pam Heinze wrote: We have the quad core QX6700 around the corner

Great.... Thanks... Now I'm drooling on my keyboard :D
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

pcalliance
Pirate

Kind of quiet in here....

Post by pcalliance » 01-26-2007 10:25 PM

Hey!!!! Why so quiet in the break room?

The core2 duos have provided some amazing speeds for seti. They're also hyper over-clockable (new word?). I have a 2.4 GHz core2 Duo clocked to 3 GHz stable and the RAC is over 1800. I'll wait on the quads for the price to come down a little before testing...

Anyone else with new results with the newer processors coming out?

Just checking in...

-Patrick Holland

Rocketman2
Pirate

Post by Rocketman2 » 01-27-2007 05:55 PM

New to the forum and returning to SETI after a long hiatus.
Running an AMD 64 4000+ for starters, and man did the price come down after the duo's came out.

Long time Coast listener, so when I saw Team Art Bell on SETI@home, there seemed to be no place else to go! Also an amateur radio operator and electronics tech. Glad to be here.
Last edited by Rocketman2 on 01-27-2007 05:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 01-27-2007 11:50 PM

Welcome, Rocketman2! Hey, Patrick!

I am loving my Core 2 Duo, it hit 1900 rac before LHC came out with some work a few weeks ago. The RAC is slowly going back up now.

I built an E6700 on an Asus P5B, 965 chipset. with cas 5 ddr2 800. I installed Windows XP home. I am not overlclocking. I guess I am just a big sissie.

I just built another E6700 on an Intel D975xbx2. It made it to 1000 rac in two weeks with Ubuntu 64 bit linux, 2.6.20 kernel, before I downloaded a Windows XP Pro 64 trial and installed that.

I might get a QX6700, maybe once the 45nm processors come out, if the price drops.
I wish I had my radio,

Return to “Team Art Bell”