Greenhouses

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

badspell
Pirate

Greenhouses

Post by badspell » 09-06-2008 02:57 PM

I have been thinking about building a greenhouse. Any pirates out there that have a greenhouse? No matter how small or large I would appreciate advice, tips and any Information you may have for me.
All hear few listen

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-07-2008 11:42 AM

badspell - there are pros and cons to building greenhouses. First of all how big, will it be year round type? What are your heating, watering plans etc.?

I have a sun room to house my plants during the winter. I built a small greenhouse for spring garden work - one that is not meant to last - by creating an igloo shape with pvc pipe, covered in plastic (5mm). Worked great.

My friend down the way has a year-round greenhouse. He is always having a few problems with it - pumps that go out, electricity that goes out - winter time requires artificial lighting too - grow lights, but he has some pretty good results so its as they say six-of-one, half dozen of the other.

There are several greenhouses that can be made by the home grower. Need more info on what size you are contemplating, weather conditions, etc.

SAR01
Pirate

Post by SAR01 » 09-09-2008 09:55 PM

I have a sun room that I over winter some things.... I usually have geraniums blooming year round. I also have a plastic green house made with PVC pipe but it is more hassle then it is worth.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-10-2008 09:52 AM

SARO - hi - yes they can be a pain - those igloo with plastic cover greenhouses - however, I find them well worth the time to put it up in the spring when I'm starting several seedlings.

YES with the two new windows in my sun-room - will have more flowering plants indoors this year. It is so neat to have flowers in the middle of winter!

Also have peppers indoors in winter and they do produce!

SAR01
Pirate

Post by SAR01 » 09-11-2008 10:01 PM

I don;t start my plants early, I should but we rescue kitties, too and I never have been able to keep the seedlings pinched back and safe with all the activity in my sun room! hahahah

I have been trying for years to have a hydrangea bush I always had one... and something about here, I can't get a good start. so this year I got one at the middle of the season and I thought it died.. and it is thriving.... so will cover it with leaves over winter and hope for the best.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-12-2008 10:18 AM

SARO - I have a hydrangea - but it quit blooming -- its huge - thriving but not blooming. I planted it in shady location -- too shady! So I have to move it. It was the first one I ever had - so I just followed the instructions on the little card -- wrong! When I looked it up in my garden book - it tells me that different types require more sunshine. Live an learn!

Ahh yes kitties! We have two house cats and 6-7 outside cats sometimes 8. The outdoor ones are 'rescue' type - people dumped. Funny thing is two of the females that were dumped - had been spayed, and one tom had been neutered. We did take the youngest tom in and had him neutered. The third female is not quite tame enough yet, but also seems to have been spayed as she hasn't had kittens and we do have toms around the area. One of the toms is a tom - comes and goes, but seems to get along with the others and does behave himself. He's an older cat and people friendly. The other odd cat or two are neighborhood types that know when to come for a handout. :)

Return to “Garden & Galley”