We might be powerless - Gulf Oil Spill

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

We might be powerless - Gulf Oil Spill

Post by Linnea » 05-04-2010 07:26 PM

HuffPo article posted by George Knapp on twitter feed 3 hours ago:

Nobody knows the trouble we'll see - by James Moore on HuffPo - May 3rd, 2010
We might be powerless.

The oil flowing out from the seabed in the Gulf of Mexico may be under such great pressure that we do not possess technology to stop the tragedy. Chances are quite good we have no true sense of the dire nature of the situation. The facts that have been ascertained, however, lead to a dark scenario.

We know that the blowout preventers did not work but we do not know why. There are theories, though. The Deepwater Horizon rig was floating on pontoons about 5000 feet above the floor of the Gulf. When drillers struck an oil deposit, the bit was reported to be at about 18,000 feet, which is approximately three and a half miles beneath the platform. Does science even know what kind of pressure can be encountered at that depth, under almost a mile of water and two and half miles of rock?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-moore ... 61796.html

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 05-04-2010 10:09 PM

Real interesting article, I also think we have no idea how much damage this is going to make.

Why on earth wasn't this George on air Sunday, talk about total opposite George's. Knapp writes a very thoughtful article on a very important current issue. While Noory on Sunday has an hour on matchmaking. :rolleyes:

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-04-2010 10:46 PM

Did not mean to give the impression George Knapp wrote this article. Article was written by James Moore of Huffington Post.

It is interesting that George Knapp posted a link to it though. He is an investigator and is probably all over this important issue. My impression is he is a true journalist and a non-trivial human being.

I agree with you there.

:cool:

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-05-2010 02:21 AM

Gumbo & Jambalaya have tripled in price in Los Angeles, since the oil spill, and some of the Cajun Restaurants are worried that they may have to close, because their primary customers are from the Louisiana area, and they can tell the difference between fish and shell fish that come from the Gulf, and those that come from other places. I guess there is a different flavor and consistency in the Gulf products.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Return to “FFPirates on Twitter”