Moderator: Super Moderators

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

FOX: 'Do We Still Need Libraries?'

Post by Rombaldi » 07-03-2010 08:50 PM

http://mediamatters.org/strupp/201007020010

Fox Chicago Affiliate: 'Do We Still Need Libraries?'

July 02, 2010 9:19 am ET by Joe Strupp

Fox 3 in Chicago takes on the issue of funding for libraries and gives credibility to a state proposal to cut state library funds. The station even places a camera outside a local library to see how many people come and go on a given day.

"They eat up millions of your hard earned tax dollars. It's money that could be used to keep your child's school running. So with the internet and e-books, do we really need millions for libraries" the Fox reporter states. "Libraries are quiet havens for the community. They take us to other worlds. They even make us laugh. But should these institutions -- that date back to 1900 B.C. -- be on the way out?"

See the video report at link.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 07-03-2010 10:34 PM

Not everyone can afford a computer. Not everyone can understand how to operate one. And if we have a gigantic EMP, all the cell phones and internet connections will go down, perhaps permanently. And while books printed on paper last longer than interrupted internet connections, should we instead be investing in clay jars and skins or rice paper? Plus, digging caves to preserve them in, for the Future?:D
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 07-04-2010 02:13 AM

How very Fahrenheit 451 of them.

Idiots.

Last edited by HurricaneJoanie on 07-04-2010 02:16 AM, edited 1 time in total.
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-04-2010 08:38 AM

Go figure its Chicago....

====

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-04-2010 01:46 PM

For me the canary in the coalmine was the defunding of the libraries in Sonoma, CA, by irate property owners, Sonoma being the home of Nobel laureate John Steinbeck.

Let's be honest at the end, huh? If we live in a totally politicized fascist universe, where it does not matter what you know but who you blow, then why bother to learn ANYTHING? And if there is no reason to learn ANYTHING, then why bother to have libraries?

THAT --- and THAT alone --- is what the FOX discussion points add up to.

When will we stop lying to ourselves? In the life of the mind, as just about everywhere else, we are at the end of the road and are peering down into the abyss...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-04-2010 01:58 PM

For me the canary in the coalmine was the defunding of the libraries in Sonoma, CA, by irate property owners, Sonoma being the home of Nobel laureate John Steinbeck.

Let's be honest at the end, huh? If we live in a totally politicized fascist universe, where it does not matter what you know but who you blow, then why bother to learn ANYTHING? And if there is no reason to learn ANYTHING, then why bother to have libraries?

THAT --- and THAT alone --- is what the FOX discussion points add up to.

When will we stop lying to ourselves? In the life of the mind, as just about everywhere else, we are at the end of the road and are peering down into the abyss...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-04-2010 02:18 PM

It is the way of the world, Joe. Render unto Mammon what is Mammon's - and unto the Lord what is the Lord's. Has it not ever been thus?

And what is the anti-christ's mission but to pronounce doom and despair? What is the purpose of spreading darkness and fear, rather than proclaim the glory, and compassion and triumph of the Light?

Is not all this wailing, pronouncing and gnashing on the 'ways of the world' the gravest of all threats we face? Why lend energy to this?

Did you join in the 'mind blast' and healing prayers for the Gulf - and to affirm our strength, especially collectively, in turning toward the Light?

There is no power greater than Love.

Cynthia Lynn
Pirate

Post by Cynthia Lynn » 07-05-2010 05:37 AM

Good Grief!

I thought the FOXNews crowd revered our Founding Fathers.

Perhaps they should study Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Cynthia Lynn on 07-05-2010 05:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 07-05-2010 09:45 AM

While the FOX take on this is certainly cynical, I see the point. I will brunt the wrath here in saying I haven't been inside a library since 1999. The idea of curling up with a book on a Sunday afternoon is becoming as quickly obsolete. I'm not saying it isn't tragic (see the attorney scenes in the Star Trek episode "Court Martial". As usual, Gene Roddenberry called it twenty years before anyone else did), but it's inevitable. When was the last time you bought a book of stamps? When was the last time you looked up a number in the phone book? When was the last time you bought a city map at the gas station? When was the last time you, were in a library? And if it was recently, did you go to the card catalogue, or the array of terminals that allow you to go online? It's happening. It's happening in our lifetimes. And I agree that it's disturbing. But it's happening.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 07-05-2010 11:19 AM

Live365 wrote: While the FOX take on this is certainly cynical, I see the point. I will brunt the wrath here in saying I haven't been inside a library since 1999. The idea of curling up with a book on a Sunday afternoon is becoming as quickly obsolete. I'm not saying it isn't tragic (see the attorney scenes in the Star Trek episode "Court Martial". As usual, Gene Roddenberry called it twenty years before anyone else did), but it's inevitable. When was the last time you bought a book of stamps? When was the last time you looked up a number in the phone book? When was the last time you bought a city map at the gas station? When was the last time you, were in a library? And if it was recently, did you go to the card catalogue, or the array of terminals that allow you to go online? It's happening. It's happening in our lifetimes. And I agree that it's disturbing. But it's happening.
I am a dinosaur, admittedly. ;)

When was the last time you bought a book of stamps?
Last week!

When was the last time you looked up a number in the phone book?
This morning. And when I get a new one I have to rewrite all the numbers I have written on the cover. It rests under my (gasp!) landline, of which I have two!

When was the last time you bought a city map at the gas station?
Admittedly I get these from AAA. I love maps. The minute I hit a new city, the first thing I do in my hotel room is pull out a map and the phone book and study both.

When was the last time you, were in a library?
I am in the library all the time. I buy alot of books, but I don't need to own every tome of popular fiction that I like, so frequently I will reserve authors I enjoy. I think I currently have about 20 books on my waiting list.

And if it was recently, did you go to the card catalogue, or the array of terminals that allow you to go online?
I do use online reservation and the online catalogue. I am 20 miles from my closest library so I use their technology resources extensively. I even belong to a book club online. Sponsored by my county library!

It's happening. It's happening in our lifetimes. And I agree that it's disturbing. But it's happening.

I did finally capitulate and get a cell phone because my daughter was raising such a stink about my long drive home through the woods and mountain foothills. But I got one that just does calling, no camera, no GPS, no doodads, no texting, etc.:D
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-06-2010 08:38 AM

Stamps - two weeks ago I got a new roll of stamps.
phone # look up in phone book when looking for a parts place.
Maps - no
Library - I have one in my home, and as an author and reader - whenever I can - but I must admit that I am thinking of doing my stuff - ebook or kindle since the trend is in that direction.
card catalog - nah, know where things are located by category.
===

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 07-06-2010 10:27 AM

The libraries are being used to the fullest extent by the youth of America. Don't believe me?

Take A Look!

The minds of budding geniuses...
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-09-2010 04:44 AM

I think that many states have to find "creative solutions" to confront budgetary shortfalls which have been brought about by an expansion of government. That libraries are at risk is no surprise. However, to see their closure as a means of mitigating losses is shortsighted. When I do go to the library I see age-ranges from young children in the Children's Section excitedly getting a look at all the "free books", through high schoolers working on reports for class, to middle class working in the research room on genealogical projects, to fixed-income seniors reading the nespapers. I see people checking out CDs and DVDs to take home and enjoy.

In my hometown, near to where I currently live, we are blessed to have a library well over 100 years old, with a constantly-changing set of books, art, media and forward-looking staff members who look for innovative ways to keep the service going. They had a section where they maintained rare texts, and last year sold some volumes which were taking too much of their budget to maintain. Many patrons didn't actually use hem, so they sold some of the highest bidder - someone who could actually privately fund their preervation, and in turn, used the monies to pay for more services. They also hold book sales for volumes that aren't checked-out frequently, and use those funds to buy new equipment or books.

But, to restrict the acces to education is short-sighted.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-09-2010 03:32 PM

Reading is fundamental!

These gov't peeps that want to close them to save monies? Reminds me of ancient history when the Catholic church did not want any of the parishioners to be able to read.

Tell these gov't peeps to cut their staff members, cut their salaries and they will have monies needed FOR the people!

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 07-09-2010 04:53 PM

I can't stand seeing library funding cut under any circumstances.

I can however make one cost-cutting recommedation for libraries:

Stop buying books at bookstores (it's a surprisingly common practice). You're usually getting a 20% discount, perhaps 25% under good circumstances at a bookstore. A distributor on the other hand will offer a 40-42% discount, and the publisher will normally provide at least a 46% discount. Of course, there are order minimums with distributors and publishers - but based upon the dollars spent each time at a bookstore, that wouldn't be a problem - further the amounts spent from what I have seen would normally trigger free-shipping from those facilities.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 07-09-2010 04:55 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”