Election Central 2010 ~ Mid-term to 2012

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Election Central 2010 ~ Nov 2

Post by Linnea » 11-02-2010 08:48 AM

Polls are opening across the country for the Mid-term Elections. For those who will be following election news throughout the day - as well as election returns throughout the evening - please post your comments here and keep us updated on local issues, news.

Mid-term elections are truly the 'voice of the people'.

Some history:

The U.S. House elections, 1789 were the first elections for the United States House of Representatives in 1789, which coincided with the election of President George Washington. Some candidates were chosen in 1788, others in 1789. Dates and manners of elections were set by the states. Actual political parties did not yet exist, but new members of Congress were informally categorized as either "pro-Administration" (i.e., pro-Washington and pro-Hamilton) or "anti-Administration." (Wiki)

Let the people be heard!

Capt Tuttle
Pirate

Pirates - describe how you will spend this evening

Post by Capt Tuttle » 11-02-2010 08:52 AM

Greetings Pirates -

Just curious - how will we be celebrating this evening - ??

I say celebrating because no matter the outcome, we should still celebrate this event - it's part of who we are as a country, as a people.

fixed in front of the TV?

At a party?

something else??

For me -

I will be going to a meeting then after the meeting, probably get a pizza of something similar and will be flipping between the news channels throughout the night.

-Capt Tuttle
"Be good"
-Mom

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-02-2010 08:55 AM

I say celebrating because no matter the outcome, we should still celebrate this event - it's part of who we are as a country, as a people.
Excellent point Capt. :) I will be hopefully done working at a reasonable hour, making dinner and watching the outcome of the election with my family.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-02-2010 09:00 AM

Morning Linnea :)

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-02-2010 09:02 AM

Hey, Linda! :)

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-02-2010 09:06 AM

I am going to be watching this thread quite a bit today as I can't have the TV or radio going in the background its distracting while I am working. So I hope the pirates will keep the thread updated for those of us that will be media challenged today :)

Linnea

Weather Report

Post by Linnea » 11-02-2010 09:38 AM

Raining in E. Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi...otherwise fair weather across the nation.

1-2 inches of snow in Anchorage... (no big deal)

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-02-2010 09:57 AM

Polls have been open a couple of hours here in Florida, Palm Beach County reporting no problems, heard they are having some issues with voting machines not working in Miami.

BTW, the sun is shining here and its 83 degrees :)

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 11-02-2010 10:06 AM

Hello there or should I say Ahoy' there..

The day has arrived to put one's mark on a ballot.

Basically, I have always voted, but this time around I'm not sure what lie to vote for here in San Diego, Ca.

It's still early in the day and today's weather will be just like a summer's day..
Reaching the low 90's inland and in the 80's at the coast.. Nice and warm.

My own question is',
To vote or not to vote.

Are there any Californian's out for the vote on board today?
I was hoping Joolz may help me out on the Gov's race..
I don't like either one of them..
Jerry Brown or Meg'.

Or how about legalizing pot? Seems that is always on the ballot but never passes.

Just thought I'd pass by and see what's happening here on board the Fantastic'....

I feel very confused today..
Nothing new here, but did think I should vote, but for who and for what?
Or does it really even matter anymore?
~~~ Later' ;-)

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 11-02-2010 11:24 AM

Just tuned in KOGO and Rush Lie was on ...
What I just heard him say was.....
(Well, if I had eaten breakfast it would be on the floor by now)

I couldn't repeat what trash talk he was saying, but I do give him the Tokyo Rose award.
No wonder this country is divided with a voice like his... YIKES!

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 11-02-2010 03:12 PM

It's beautiful and sunny here in Pierce County, WA. "My" mountain is glorious in her beauty today and I spied a couple of black bear cubs headed up the footpath, on the other side of the river (National Park land) while out having my coffee this morning.

We are the only county remaining in WA with actual polling places so those will be the early results for Murray and Rossi (US Senate, neck and neck). Most of the other races are predictable. Repubs East of the mountains, Dems to the West. There are several initiatives; like California, Washington is heavily influenced and lead by the initiative process.:)

This evening I have a Friends of the Library meeting, then I'll be home to watch our illustrious media (snark) bring in the election. I try to check in, but the only TV in the house is up in my bedroom where there is no internet connection. I'll check in when I come down to make tea.:D
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-02-2010 03:20 PM

It's gorgeous up here in Massachusetts - chilly, but sunny. I took today off work for a doctor's visit, and stopped by my local polling station to vote around 1:00PM. The place was already full - and this is a relatively small town of about 17,000 (total) population. The heavy voting will start anytime now. The polls in Mass close at 8:00PM, so we won't know anything until about nine or so.

Even then, this will probably be close with definite choices between Democrats and the Republicans - incumbent Patrick Duval and Charlie Baker (former healthcare CEO) from the Right. Also slated are votes on Barney Frank and how people feel he has been doing, along with sme tax-related issues.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-02-2010 09:07 PM

So far Republicans have picked up 45 seats in the House and will take control with the expectation of John Boehner as Speaker. Pelosi is expected to retire. Projections are for up to a total of 56 seats in the Republican column. That's an impressive sweep!

Republicans have a net gain of three Senate seats so far.

Sestak is hanging on in Pennsylvania, and Bennet in Colorado.

Polls just closed in six more states. Will soon see how the Reid/Angle race is shaping up.

Alaska is still a cliff hanger, mostly between a Republican and a Republican Lite - although can't rule out a pick up for the Democrats there.

Wild night...

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-02-2010 09:18 PM

Watching MSNBC at present - and some sour grapes are emerging there. Chris Matthews was just harassing Michelle Bachmann, but she handled herself well.

Matthews was asking her if she intended now to pursue investigations into the 'unamerican activities' of some elected representatives on the Hill as she stated during the campaign. Matthews was being quite snarky and kept pressing her on the issue. Not one of his better moments.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-02-2010 09:40 PM

Republicans pick up a Senate seat in Wisconsin with Finegold losing there. Too bad! A good man.

Insider information here in Washington with 80% of ballots in, show encouragement for Sen Patty Murray...

Nevada still either too close or too early to call.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”