Art Bell's Dark Matter -- Sept. 18 with Jonathan Reed

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-19-2013 12:14 PM

Back then, the show was so focused around the transition to 2000, wasn't it? Much anticipation and speculation about what it would bring. So, now we know, though it took about ten years to unfold -- dystopia. The new show could take up the matter of: What happened, Why did it happen, and What can be done? That presumes that Art cares. But a guy like Michio Kaku -- probably the best of the first three guests -- is totally useless in this discussion, except as an example of the party line that helped bring us to this point in the first place. What a shill for the neo-liberal agenda. The Arab Spring? Oy vey. I'd be very interested in knowing whether Kaku used his prominent social position to voice support for modern day heretics like Larry Summers or James Watson. I'd guess that, in fact, he joined the chorus of witch-hunters, and so, in practice, is nothing more than a contemporary iteration of the Catholic Church persecuting Galileo. Oh, the rich and bitter irony. Meanwhile he's catapulted to the cultural "top of the charts" as the "new Carl Sagan" because of his superior ability to endorse the globalist agenda within a glistening patina of scientific objectivity.

So, Art...are you interested in breaking through again? I think otherwise it'll start to seem boring, both to your listeners...and yourself.

All this said, does anyone have any guest ideas?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-19-2013 12:16 PM

He should get back to the idea of the quickening. It is another word for what you are talking about, albeit slightly watered-down. Why is society taking the route it is? What are solutions? Who are the people swimming upstream against the flow?
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-19-2013 12:21 PM

I wonder if it might've been better to have more guests on during the first week of "greatest hits"...I could've taken an hour of Reed last night, but three?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-19-2013 12:26 PM

HB3 wrote: I wonder if it might've been better to have more guests on during the first week of "greatest hits"...I could've taken an hour of Reed last night, but three?
yeah, have a parade of people saying welcome back and clearing the air. However, it is nice to see Art right back in form. The beauty of it is we should have plenty of time to see the kind of shows we like. He does have to please a wide array of people.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-19-2013 12:50 PM

HB3 wrote: I fell asleep.

I guess I agree with everyone about Reed -- entertaining story-teller, but who cares beyond that?

Art seems to be picking up from about fourteen years ago, but so much has changed since then. A story like Reed's doesn't seem particularly relevant, does it?

What is relevant is the dystopian society we've descended to. The focus of the show needs to change. New guests, different orientation. The overall theme of "the truth is out there" can support this.

Good word dystopian - and by the way your using those large words does not insult me.:D
A man's character is his fate

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-19-2013 12:55 PM

HB3 wrote: Back then, the show was so focused around the transition to 2000, wasn't it? Much anticipation and speculation about what it would bring. So, now we know, though it took about ten years to unfold -- dystopia. The new show could take up the matter of: What happened, Why did it happen, and What can be done? That presumes that Art cares. But a guy like Michio Kaku -- probably the best of the first three guests -- is totally useless in this discussion, except as an example of the party line that helped bring us to this point in the first place. What a shill for the neo-liberal agenda. The Arab Spring? Oy vey. I'd be very interested in knowing whether Kaku used his prominent social position to voice support for modern day heretics like Larry Summers or James Watson. I'd guess that, in fact, he joined the chorus of witch-hunters, and so, in practice, is nothing more than a contemporary iteration of the Catholic Church persecuting Galileo. Oh, the rich and bitter irony. Meanwhile he's catapulted to the cultural "top of the charts" as the "new Carl Sagan" because of his superior ability to endorse the globalist agenda within a glistening patina of scientific objectivity.

So, Art...are you interested in breaking through again? I think otherwise it'll start to seem boring, both to your listeners...and yourself.

All this said, does anyone have any guest ideas?

Interesting because I came away with the same thoughts about Kaku. I was surprised at first at his seemingly casual manner - sort of like comme se comme sa. He seems to have bought then entire Global Warming hook line and sinker - frankly he sounded like an elitist to me.

I'll tell you in lieu of these shootings and the various theories and discussion on this board, it brought to mind the book by Peter Evans regarding the RFK assasination. His claim revolves around the Manchurian Candidate philosophy and altho written in 2005 I think he would make an interesting guest.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-19-2013 01:02 PM

One thing for sure, there is an art to intervierwing and Art is one of the top five for sure.

He is so thoughtful (or appears to be) in his questions and his voice changes with intensity and curiousity all throughout most interviews he conducts.

You can tell no one puts a card of questions before him because he is responding to the answers and he listens so well.

I only kept listening to Reed because I was fascinated by Art and his tone trying to figure out if he was putting this guy on or if he really believed him.

Art's philosophy all along has been to bring the guest to his audience and let them make up their own minds so in following that tradition he just kept probing without hinting much to us what he really thinks.

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 09-19-2013 05:45 PM

Listened to the replay today while working and remembered it all from the 90's when Art first aired it.

Sure it is most likely a hoax as the Seattle group pointed out. I will say this though, it kept me awake those long nights out in remote areas of this country and kept me looking all around watching and scared something would happen.

Art was good at that and still is. The whole show was worth it again and just as exciting as the first time and it really made the work day go fast, more so than the old C2C account I had. Time slowed down then.

Here are the FREE links:

Art Bell - September 16, 2013 - Dark Matter w/Michio Kaku, Open Lines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHAltQ6N3Gc

Steven Greer - Art Bell's Dark Matter - September 17 2013 - Art Bell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x7GUWZ-KrI

ART BELL DARK MATTER WITH DR. JONATHAN REED 9-18-13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKk_HBhJBIY

GOOGLE Art Bell Dark Matter with the date and year and you should get tonight's with Hoagie.

BTW, the links are all over face book.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-19-2013 05:49 PM

Well, all right. Can we at least spell the word "free" without all-caps?

Hey, I'm listening to it for free (or FREE) too, and I'm doing it the way they asked. But yeah, there's no way they're going to able to keep the lid on that genie.

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 09-19-2013 05:57 PM

As noted elsewhere in this forum, there are many on line sources and yes the Genie is out of the bottle.

I look at this way, this could up the subscriptions for Sirius as some will also want to go mobile to listen especially if traveling so it is a two edge sword.

I have a trip coming up and will be spending night driving so am buying a used XM radio from a friend who has dropped the service but the radio still works so I will sign up just so I can hear Art.

When working the streams will be better but since I will have the account then the Internet stream from their On Demand will do just fine for me.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-19-2013 06:00 PM

I look at this way, this could up the subscriptions for Sirius as some will also want to go mobile to listen especially if traveling so it is a two edge sword.
It's true and this is the way pretty much everything is marketed these days. I'm sure they're aware of that.

Riddick
Pirate

Re:

Post by Riddick » 04-20-2023 01:54 PM

Cheese wrote: 09-19-2013 01:58 AM Does anybody have any of these shows recorded or know where I can find them? Sirius xm isn't available in the uk!

Great to hear Art is back on the air though!
Once again, I can't say it's better late than never or it's all the shows (Wikipedia sez it ran from September 16, 2013 – November 4, 2013), but you can find Dark Matter eps at the bottom of this page

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”