They Can "Hold Their Liquor", But . . .

Weird and unusual, whacked out news!

Moderator: Super Moderators

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

They Can "Hold Their Liquor", But . . .

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 08-28-2002 08:50 AM

don't dare ask for an unscheduled bathroom break!

It must be a slow news week that these stories are getting picked up and published by the wire services. I wonder if they tried hall passes first?

Bathroom Rules Bug Jim Beam Workers

Jim Beam Bourbon Plant Fighting Citation Over Employee Bathroom Policy

The Associated Press
CLERMONT, Ky. Aug. 27 — Employees at the Jim Beam bourbon distillery are getting sour over restrictions on bathroom breaks.

Workers on the bottling line are fuming about being limited to four breaks per 8 hour shift, only one of which can be unscheduled. Extra trips to the bathroom can result in reprimands. Workers with six violations can be fired.

The United Food and Commercial Workers local said some of the 100 affected employees have urinated on themselves because they were afraid to leave the line. Some wear protective undergarments and others have feigned illnesses to go home and avoid getting violations, said Jo Anne Kelley, president of the union local.

"It's a shame when you feel you have the need to go to the bathroom, but you ask yourself, `Do I soil myself or do I protect my job?'" Kelley said.

The state has slapped the distiller with a citation. Jim Beam appealed; a hearing officer on Wednesday is expected to recommend to a review commission whether to sustain or overrule the citation. The commission's decision can be appealed in court.

Jim Beam Brands, headquartered in Deerfield, Ill., said its policy strikes a balance between employees' physical needs and the company's productivity needs. The company, which consulted a urologist before imposing the limits, said the time between breaks will generally be about two hours and never more than three.

"Our policy is fair and reasonable and it does respect the real needs that our employees have," said Jack Allen, human resources director at the Clermont plant,
nestled between lush Kentucky hills about 25 miles south of Louisville.

The policy, which took effect in October, was instituted only at the Clermont plant because some workers abused the privilege of unlimited bathroom breaks, the company said.

For the full article: Click Here

------------------
Just call me "Nightvoice". "Eliza" sounds so formal.

sandy interrante
Pirate

Post by sandy interrante » 08-28-2002 09:11 PM

This seems reasonable to me, unless some workers are sneaking into the bathroom for a cigarette break. Years ago, when I was in college, I worked in a factory. Some workers, would disappear almost every hour for a bathroom break for 10 minutes. Usually, they'd be just smoking.

Return to “Weird Nooz”