Defining Critical Thinking

Moving toward Type One civilization...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doka
Pirate

Defining Critical Thinking

Post by Doka » 10-09-2015 07:57 PM

Critical thinking...the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself. Why Critical Thinking?

The Problem 
Everyone thinks; it is our nature to do so. But much of our thinking, left to itself, is biased, distorted, partial, uninformed or down-right prejudiced. Yet the quality of our life and that of what we produce, make, or build depends precisely on the quality of our thought. Shoddy thinking is costly, both in money and in quality of life. Excellence in thought, however, must be systematically cultivated.

A Definition 
Critical thinking is that mode of thinking - about any subject, content, or problem - in which the thinker improves the quality of his or her thinking by skillfully taking charge of the structures inherent in thinking and 
imposing intellectual standards upon them.

http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/d ... inking/766

Once you get all emotional (what I call touchy feeley " about something, your brain dis-engages no matter what the "facts' maybe.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Re: Defining Critical Thinking

Post by kbot » 10-09-2015 08:19 PM

I think that we have out there, this image of "education" with some sort of a mythic romantic picture - Socrates speaking, and his students at his feet soaking-in all that knowledge...... .

And. admittedly, many teachers may have had that image in their hearts, however briefly along the way of obtaining their degree. But, the sad fact is, THAT is not how education is provided anymore. Rather than the noble pursuit of knowledge, it's constant quality control - Deming's principles of widget construction applied to kids - a constant weighing and sorting and measuring and scoring - every step accompanied by the specter of the pressure to succeed.

The facts don't lie - kids are stressed, teachers are stressed, parents are stressed. And, what gets learned soon gets forgotten as new goals and new stresses are applied with each new school year.

Personally, I love learning new things - my wife thinks I'm weird with the things I read and my hobbies and all. But I feel very lucky to have grown-up during a time when learning was looked-on and the love of learning cultivated by teachers who were more interested in developing a lifelong love of learning rather than making Spam - which is what our current mess of an education system is. OK, that is overly strong: much of this is NOT the fault of teachers, but those above them at he federal and state level who developed these programs and regulations.

Now, Riddick........ this wasn't a slam on Spam - we clear on that???????? :mrgreen:
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 10-10-2015 08:59 AM

Critical thinking IS QUITE GOOD!!!!!!

Many people have been so brainwashed/compromised they cannot think for themselves and they do what so called "Professionals" say w/o question.......which brings them $$$$$$$$$$. Its really very sad.......

Return to “Awakening of global consciousness”