A Heads-Up On Those Bloody 504 Errors

Just what is says. Click and read on.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

A Heads-Up On Those Bloody 504 Errors

Post by Riddick » 03-26-2020 02:09 AM

Y'all've prolly noticed a rash of annoying "504 Gateway Timeout" errors here sporadically these last some days. Dunno why we're getting them, or whether they'll persist, but I do wanna relate one thing I experienced

If you're trying to post a reply to a thread, or start a new one, and after hitting 'Submit' you get a 504 error don't assume your post or thread wasn't created.

After numerous attempts, I finally got past the 504 errors only to find my earlier attempts DID complete! THEN I had to go through the laborious deletion process, made all the more frustrating by continued 504 errors

If 504s are popping up persistently when you're trying to post at a given time it may be a good idea just to try again later eh?? Just sayin'...
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Re: A Heads-Up On Those Bloody 504 Errors

Post by Doka » 03-26-2020 12:45 PM

Same as my experience, Riddick, but on some did not get back fast enough to delete duplicate.

Hinky server somewhere?
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... Status/504

Note .......does it seem to happen more when trying to post "Anti Globalist Material" ?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 03-31-2020 11:01 PM

I had been free off 504 errors for a couple of weeks, then I updated GOOGLE and everything went nuts again. I am deeming Google, guilty by association! It's not nice if you go where google doesn't want you to go...... :confused:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Attack Of The 504 Errors

Post by Riddick » 04-05-2020 09:45 AM

Hey Now Doka, from the looks of it? Saturday you had a night like I described in the topic starter here (That is, aside from doing dup deletion)

Of course, I'm just assuming starting 4 identical threads in only a minute time frame was due to 504 errors...

Would you believe I submitted this to post but got an error so I wanted to check & see if it had actually posted but got MORE errors -

It took many an attempt, but over the course of 10 minutes or so I finally got 'er done SANS dups

I tellya, comes to 504s? When it's bad, it's BAD!
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 04-05-2020 11:57 AM

This is crazy, I just finally got on to the forum to clean up my mess. Was not too sure I could get here :confused: :shock:
KARMA RULES

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 04-05-2020 12:44 PM

Doka wrote: 04-05-2020 11:57 AM This is crazy, I just finally got on to the forum to clean up my mess. Was not too sure I could get here :confused: :shock:
It's quiet at the moment, but it could easily get crazy again.

If this keeps up, mebbe we should let Fan know, the server may need a tweaking eh?

-Donald Trump Image

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-07-2020 07:37 PM

sorry about this guys, Riddick, feel free to email me when you see stuff like this, I have a lot on my plate so don't monitor it too closely, but I always have some time to come patch up the ship, you know :)
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-19-2020 05:52 PM

we are doing a server upgrade to vastly improved hardware, everything will be running from SSD drives now. I expect it will fix all these issues. It should be live by tomorrow I hope.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 04-19-2020 08:13 PM

Thank You So much, Fan! Really super appreciate, all your effort to keep the ship afloat! :pirateboa
KARMA RULES

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-22-2020 03:34 PM

A 3 person forum. :lol:

The saying "a waste of space" couldn't be more fitting in more ways than one.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-27-2020 06:10 PM

Raggedyann wrote: 04-22-2020 03:34 PM A 3 person forum. :lol:
3 persons...and an ill-mannered squid. 8)
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 04-27-2020 09:37 PM

:pinkjump: :pinkjump: SQUID!! Ol' Buddy! Ol' Pal! Ol' Friend! LONG time, No see! GLAD t' See ya! How ya been?

Right now I'm on kinda a posting furlough - COVID-19 unrelated, but may still be a viral infection, my primary PC's been coughin' and sneezin' so I'm in the midst of sortin' out what-all ails it. But I just hadda drop a line

Would you believe I've missed ya??

-Donald Trump Image

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-27-2020 10:06 PM

Hiya Riddick ~

What's to miss? Eight arms and a couple of tentacles?

I had to get out, man. Couldn't take it anymore.

Been holed up in this inky little hooch of mine for awhile. I've all but unplugged. In fact, for the first time since 2007 or so, I have no websites published to the web. Dark city, Freddy.

Sorry to hear about the old Papa Charlie -- try removing the Yahoo toolbar.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 04-27-2020 11:34 PM

Hey Now Squid, thanks for the toolbar tip but would you believe 'till now I thought my accumulated 'safe surfing & computing' acumen was doing the trick of keeping malicious crap like that from polluting my PCs?

With what-all I've sussed out thus far, the evidence pretty much points to I'm looking at an OS 'inside job' brought on by Windows Update. And it appears unraveling this malignant mess is gonna be ONE helluva chore. 'Oh What A Tangled Web They Weave When Microsoft Corrupts Your PC'

Still, should it come to the point I'm had it up to here, what you say about not taking it any more I COULD just resort to cutting the 'it's not a bug, it's a feature' MS cord & switch to Linux Mint. There'd be a learning curve but I'm not such a old sea dog I can't learn new computing tricks!!

-Donald Trump Image

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-28-2020 09:29 AM

Actually, there isn't much of a learning curve anymore. Unless you use specialized software, or have an obscure piece of hardware, distros like Mint kinda just work. In fact, they are designed with MS Windows migrants in mind. Hardly even need to use the command line anymore.

On another note, isn't 2020 the FF's 20th anniversary? Do we have an exact date?

I wonder how many discussion forums have been online for 20 years.

Return to “Announcements/ FYI”